House Price Crash Forum
Panda

Our Irish Sister Site

From one of the posters :

Only one who is insane would be buying now!! If you go through with it, then you need locked up in a rubber room for your own safety!

The storm that is coming towards this country is beyond anything imaginable. The country is bankrupt, and is now being dictated to on fiscal policy. Whether it is right or wrong, the IMF etc. follow a simple play book: cut spending, cut public service workers, increase taxes, do what ever it takes to get the budget under control. They are now running the country. Everything they do, and the state of the banking sector means that property prices are only going one way. And to be honest, with the way things are going, in a year or two, property prices may be the least of ones worries.

Actually, the last thing that you want is an expert, or some one like me to tell you what to do.

Don't believe me or anyone else, but go around the country and just really look at the place. There are empty buildings to let/sale everywhere! In what one would refer to as the nice parts of Dublin, every other building seems to be up for sale. There are deserted housing estates littered through out the country/cities. Take a look at google street view of the empty ghost estates, every where one looks in the country is full of empty buildings. Just LOOK at the place.

Take a look at a basic risk/reward of what might happen over the next two years:

Case 1: you don't buy, worst/most optimistic case scenario, you rent for a couple of years and then you are able to buy the same place at a similar price to now. How would you feel? A bit silly for not having bought a little earlier, wasted a little money on rent ?

Case 2: You do buy now and what I and most people on this site think is about to happen, happens. Property drops another 50%, property taxes come in, all other taxes rise. You are in massive negative equity. Think how would you feel if this scenario happens?

I know quite a few people who bought in the last couple of years. They though they were getting a good deal, 15,20,30 % off the peak price. They all deeply regret it now. How do you think they will feel in a few years time?

But if you really want to yourself, go on. Just don't come back in a year or two wishing that you had done something different.

For those who can speak Spanish (or decipher Google translate) this is the Spanish equivalent site

Burbuja!

I I wonder how long before HPC'ers pick up on the "US fed lent 34 billion to Santander and BBVA after the Lehman collapse in 2008"?

For those who can speak Spanish (or decipher Google translate) this is the Spanish equivalent site

Burbuja!

I I wonder how long before HPC'ers pick up on the "US fed lent 34 billion to Santander and BBVA after the Lehman collapse in 2008"?

Just scanning the thread titles is spooky... banksters, gold, ECB, Ireland, NASA announcements on ET... it really could be a twin of HPC :blink:

Take a look at a basic risk/reward of what might happen over the next two years:

Case 1: you don't buy, worst/most optimistic case scenario, you rent for a couple of years and then you are able to buy the same place at a similar price to now. How would you feel? A bit silly for not having bought a little earlier, wasted a little money on rent ?

Case 2: You do buy now and what I and most people on this site think is about to happen, happens. Property drops another 50%, property taxes come in, all other taxes rise. You are in massive negative equity. Think how would you feel if this scenario happens?

Question for the Economists.

IF commodity X:

- Costs money on an ongoing basis to own

- No one requires more than 1 to live

- And the supply exceeds the number of people.

At what point does the price of that commodity go negative.