House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
garybug

Steel Framed Houses

Hello (again) all...

Further to my 'boiler' thread - the lender is now grilling the surveyor as they want to determine the exact type of steel used. Apparently trying to get a mortgage on a steel framed house is a bit of a 'mare.

My other half is from the US, where steel framed houses are seen as a good thing. Why does the UK have an issue with them?

Ta

gb

Timber frame is traditionally more frowned upon - the problem with steel, in my opinion is that its never properly fire retarded - id never live in one anyway. Sounds like, as they have already raised the question, that there not going to lend - this may be a blessing in disguise!

Forgive the obvious question, but is wood not more flammable than steel :blink:

Yes - but, with timber frame the structure tends to stay in place (after fire they still stand are generally intact (ive seen five latley)) - the problem with steel is its failure at certain ttemperatures means complete collapse - as ive said timber frame is better than steel - better insulated, better fire proofing, cheaper heating. States is different from us as they probably dont cut as much corners - i know of steel framed structures that have nothing but damp and water penetration problems, because of the nature of the construction, ie, i bet they used a plasterboard internal wall section, and if it has render it will be a solid wall construction - really is pants.

My other half is from the US, where steel framed houses are seen as a good thing. Why does the UK have an issue with them?

A friend of mine  :ph34r: owns a sixties-vintage  (I think) steel-framed bungalow on the coast - it's two or three hundred yards from the sea. It needed some expensive remedial work several years ago due to corrosion problems.

You need to aquaint yourself with the housing defects legislation.

Defects were discovered in what are termed non-traditional houses that were designed and built prior to the 1960s Some of the designs had defects related to the use of steel in their construction. The designs were later collectively designated as defective under the housing defects legislation.

Some councils have performed some amazing remediation works on their defective housing stoock (most of it was council owned housing) but I doubt it was cheap.

Personally I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole but do your own research.

This one is from 1978, terraced 3 bedder, and on an estate with many others. Mouseprice has shown many of them selling 'normally' for years.

Assuming I want to delve further - what should be my next move? The RICS Homebuyer report was, as usual, ambigous / ar53 covering in it's detail...

Thought corrosion and collapse was the issue?

afternoon all, just wondered how you are getting on with the steel frame house purchase as i am in the same boat, although the mortage has been agreed and thier surveyor has signed it all off they did mention marketability and getting a structural survey which we are doing tomorrow.

my under standing is that if this comes back without any problems and they say the steel is as good as it was when it was put up then there's no real issue,

how did you guys get on?

Mark