House Price Crash Forum
fellow

Number Of Young Dole Claimants Soars By 442%

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Unemployed-16-To-24-Year-Old-Numbers-Up-Fourfold-Since-Recession-Long-Term-Dole-Claimants-Surge/Article/201012115845007?lpos=Business_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15845007_Unemployed_16_To_24-Year-Old_Numbers_Up_Fourfold_Since_Recession%3A_Long-Term_Dole_Claimants_Surge

The number of 16 to 24-year-olds on the dole for more than a year has surged - costing the economy £155m a week, according to a report.

A study from the Prince's Trust and RBS found there were more than 25,800 young people claiming unemployment benefit for over 12 months.

This was a 442% increase on the number in 2008, before the financial crisis began, and takes the youth jobless rate to a 16-year high.

Fionnuala Earley from RBS said: "As the UK struggles to clear record levels of national debt, we cannot afford to ignore the growing costs of youth disadvantage.

"This is not just a welfare burden - lost productivity and wasted potential directly affect the rate of economic growth in the UK.

"It's crucial for the economy that young people have the skills and confidence they need to find work and view entrepreneurship as a realistic option."

Young people with fewer qualifications were hardest hit by the recession, adding to the debate on the proposed university tuition fee hike.

Employment minister Chris Grayling said: "Despite throwing millions of pounds at the problem, the patchwork of ill-conceived and poorly thought out schemes we inherited from the last government failed young people across the country.

"We think young people deserve better - that's why we're investing in apprenticeships to create long-term jobs and are developing work experience opportunities so that young people get the skills and experience they need to successfully compete in the labour market."

The new figures take the UK youth unemployment rate above many other European countries, including Germany, Denmark, Austria, Norway and Holland.

With no jobs and increased tuition fees, where are the first time buyers going to come from in the next few years?

Well their parents will not have it to help them even if they own their own home...they will have their pensions to pay for.

To be honest the young will be better off not buying for the time being....best to watch and wait, see how things pan out...buying with a deposit a good job and no other debt is hard.....without that it is impossible. ;)

There is going to be a "lost generation", Japanese style. In fact I can see the whole society heading the way of Japan.

"Freeters" in Japan are young adults who never plan on starting a family, and don't work or only work part time. On the other hand families are hiding their dead relatives in the attic so they can keep claiming the pension.

There is going to be a "lost generation", Japanese style. In fact I can see the whole society heading the way of Japan.

"Freeters" in Japan are young adults who never plan on starting a family, and don't work or only work part time. On the other hand families are hiding their dead relatives in the attic so they can keep claiming the pension.

Except that in the UK it is mainly the ones that don't work who plan on starting a family.

With no jobs and increased tuition fees, where are the first time buyers going to come from in the next few years?

If I could get a 100% mortgage fixed @6% from the state I could use my housing benefit to pay off a 25 year mortgage for a 2 up 2 down, down the road. I currently live in a 1 bed flat.

I've got 46 years of claiming the dole before I hit retirement age too.

That would free up a council property for somebody else and they wouldn't have to pay me housing benefit for life.

I'd also become the owner of a 2 bed home.

It's a win for me, a win for taxpayers and a win for somebody else. Even the bank can make a profit!

RBS should give me a mortgage laugh.gif

Edited by Unemployed Youth

They should get off their arses and get a job ;)

Yes get their snow boards out and find some work . The young of today no wonder the country is in such a mess.

Good! They deserve it.

Out of millions, only a few hundred rioted on the streets of London.

They get the life they deserve. :lol:

If I could get a 100% mortgage fixed @6% from the state I could use my housing benefit to pay off a 25 year mortgage for a 2 up 2 down, down the road. I currently live in a 1 bed flat.

I've got 46 years of claiming the dole before I hit retirement age too.

That would free up a council property for somebody else and they wouldn't have to pay me housing benefit for life.

I'd also become the owner of a 2 bed home.

It's a win for me, a win for taxpayers and a win for somebody else. Even the bank can make a profit!

RBS should give me a mortgage laugh.gif

NR should bring back 125% mortgages then you could buy some stuff to go into the house as well , and have a holiday after the stress of moving.

I've told my mother I'm going to refuse to turn off the life support.

It has been known for elderly bachelor men (no kids) with very good pensions getting married to good platonic friends of theirs, so that their pension is passed down and another can benefit from it...so it doesn't die with them. ;)

Except that in the UK it is mainly the ones that don't work who plan on starting a family.

That is what the "Women's Lib" movement has achieved for educated and otherwise intelligent women.

It started out as "the right to work" and ended with "the obligation to work".

So career women eschew motherhood and keep on climbing the career ladder, whereas less educated and gifted women have no chance even to get a Minimum Wage Job and can only get a house by having children. Educated and intelligent women do not have children, unintelligent and uneducated ones do.

It's what the Third Reich proposed, only the opposite ;)

That is what the "Women's Lib" movement has achieved for educated and otherwise intelligent women.

It started out as "the right to work" and ended with "the obligation to work".

So career women eschew motherhood and keep on climbing the career ladder, whereas less educated and gifted women have no chance even to get a Minimum Wage Job and can only get a house by having children. Educated and intelligent women do not have children, unintelligent and uneducated ones do.

It's what the Third Reich proposed, only the opposite ;)

Tell me where are all the fathers in this....it takes two to tango!!!!!! ;)

NR should bring back 125% mortgages then you could buy some stuff to go into the house as well , and have a holiday after the stress of moving.

I've already got plenty of furniture, got a voucher from greggs for that.

It would make more sense to give me more money and I'll spend it on beer.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/87194?N=598325&Ne=598327&PagingData=Po_0~Ps_10~Psd_Asc

Win for me, and a win for taxpayers.

There's an announcement next week, I don't think they have thought the system through. They are on about making the supermarkets make a profit from the sale of alcohol. Selling it at a loss (and paying the full duty and vat) will be no more blink.gif

Here's one.

You always get extremes of everything.......I am talking about the men who have one child and have no intention of wanting to support that child, they expect the state or the mother on her own if they can to....all children need a dad, every dad should be there for all their children...every child without a father will vouch for that. ;)

It is government policy to have more young people on the dole in the future - that is the ones who come from poorer families.

Certainly the few good jobs available will go to the educated rich who have been to university. The poor are unimportant; surely that is what the PM believes?

Bitter and disgusted by politicians - what me?!

As said those people think they are clever now, but it goes pop, what do they have to offer to get food and shelter?

I have excess resources now and will trade them for guns when the time comes, they come and take then get shot in the gut and left to bleed to death.

It is government policy to have more young people on the dole in the future - that is the ones who come from poorer families.

Certainly the few good jobs available will go to the educated rich who have been to university. The poor are unimportant; surely that is what the PM believes?

Bitter and disgusted by politicians - what me?!

I suspect they are actually being bred for a mother of a war sometime in the future. EU vs Russia+China.

We're so broke we'll have to do the old one rifle between five men type arrangement.

As said those people think they are clever now, but it goes pop, what do they have to offer to get food and shelter?

I have excess resources now and will trade them for guns when the time comes, they come and take then get shot in the gut and left to bleed to death.

Yes, but that is why people have fifteen children. Come the Armageddon, there is more chance of your genes living on if you have fifteen children than if you have, say, no children. ;)