House Price Crash Forum
Guest tenant super

Construction Industry Jobs Down 38000 May-july

Guest tenant super

Article in Todays (Thursdays) Independent

Construction industry suffers biggest fall in jobs since 1993

"The number of construction workers has suffered its steepest fall for more than 11 years, according to figures yesterday that were the latest to highlight a slowdown in the property market.

About 38,000 jobs were lost in the sector over the three months to July, the biggest fall since a cull of 56,000 in December 1993 when the housing market was suffering the hangover of the crash, the Office for National Statistics said..." continued

This doesnt look too clever does it?

Guest muttley

A Civil Engineer friend told me they were still very busy.He deals with big construction companies,Bellway were mentioned.He did point out that they were shifting to smaller,affordable homes by which I think he meant starter rabbit hutches.His work is in Cheshire and North Manchester.

Love the way the gov has been encouraging youngsters to consider a career as a brickie / in plumbing etc.

Bit like how they wanted everyone to retrain in ITaround 2000.

They're a f@cking menace and no mistake.

The house of cards is collapsing on all sides.

ur right. It is indeed. Whichever side you look at... it has four walls... like a house.... spooky :blink:

ahhh... maybe not spooky... it is a house of cards after all... :rolleyes:

Edited by xian

Talking to my partner's dad this very lunchtime... he used to work on building sites during the last crash.

Sceptical about really big falls, though a realist and perfectly capable of believing falling prices, I'm reminded of one particular comment:

"It's when developers start laying people off you know the market's had it"

This is very reminiscent of the last crash.

In the late 1980s the workers I was employing on my renovation project on a Grade 2 listed property were paid £100-£120 a day; these were skilled bricklayers, carpenters and joiners capable of very high quality work.

I kept in touch with many of them, but by 1992 these same people were complaining of the difficulty of finding work at £70-£80 a day. By the mid 1990s most of these excellent tradesmen had left the industry for good.

Talking to my partner's dad this very lunchtime... he used to work on building sites during the last crash.

Sceptical about really big falls, though a realist and perfectly capable of believing falling prices, I'm reminded of one particular comment:

"It's when developers start laying people off you know the market's had it"

thats typical of your dad. i remember when he gave me advice regarding the motor vehicle industry. he said "when they start to layoff car workers you know the markets dead."

at the time he hadnt got those newer pills from the states. he had to make do with 10mg mogaddon orally.

Love the way the gov has been encouraging youngsters to consider a career as a brickie / in plumbing etc.

Bit like how they wanted everyone to retrain in ITaround 2000.

They're a f@cking menace and no mistake.

I can remember that time well and thinking that they were optimistic at best. Needless to say Blair had to admit defeat on the IT boom a couple years later, you couldn't help wanting to knock on his forehead and say, "Helllooooo, is anyone in there?".

I was listening to a radio report stating that wind farms are a complete waste of time, we need more nukes but they still insist in ploughing (our) money into it.

You're right, they are a menace and we'll all end paying for years of never ending, stupid hal thought out policies.

:(