House Price Crash Forum
Bloo Loo

Mps Discussing Their Expenses

Now, when I claim expenses against my business, I must produce a receipt, I fill in a form, I tootle up all the columns, claim mileage based on a register of business journeys, calculate VAT based on the ruling rate and the actual cost per mile of the vehicle.

this is all normal stuff.

However, Michael Connarty ( Labour) is raising some very difficult questions...

where does one get a receipt when one pays buy credit card.

Why is it that expenses are now refunded after the claim.

what a mess this is going to be when MPs get claims repaid but are now out of pocket because they have to pay the credit card themselves.

And what if you lose an Invoice?

the system MPs have to go through is a total disgrace.

I mean, proving the expense with a reciept...whatever next?

Apparently the online submission site is shite too, but hey ho, only cost £8M to put together, what do they expect.

what a mess this is going to be when MPs get claims repaid but are now out of pocket because they have to pay the credit card themselves.

The same way almost every other company in the country works!

The same way almost every other company in the country works!

its outrageous.

I suggest a scheme where an MP can claim for anything he likes...they are, after all, our elected reps...maybe give them a mail order catalogue to order from, maybe even be aboe to buy stuff for their second homes....

Now, when I claim expenses against my business, I must produce a receipt, I fill in a form, I tootle up all the columns, claim mileage based on a register of business journeys, calculate VAT based on the ruling rate and the actual cost per mile of the vehicle.

this is all normal stuff.

However, Michael Connarty ( Labour) is raising some very difficult questions...

the system MPs have to go through is a total disgrace.

I mean, proving the expense with a reciept...whatever next?

Apparently the online submission site is shite too, but hey ho, only cost £8M to put together, what do they expect.

8 million quid for a site that takes simple transactional detail from what ... less than 3000 users. 8 Million quid. How on earth??????

Aidanapword

Michael Connarty, a Labour MP, sold some of the contents of his London home to Jim Devine, a close colleague, before charging the taxpayer thousands of pounds for goods delivered to addresses in Scotland.

Constituents of Michael Connarty yesterday described their MP's expenses as "scandalous" and said they were angered by his apparent refusal to apologise.Mr Connarty, MP for Linlithgow and Falkirk East, was accused by the Daily Telegraph of selling some of the contents of his London home to a fellow Labour MP before then charging the taxpayer thousands of pounds for furniture delivered to addresses in Scotland.In response, Mr Connarty told the paper it was involved in a criminal act of reset of stolen property and hoped that it would have to answer for its actions in court.From early yesterday, members of the public at Grangemouth shopping centre in the constituency - where all copies of the newspaper were sold out - expressed their anger.Jim Waugh, a local businessman, said: "Instead of showing contrition, he is saying people should be charged with reset. I thought this was a very arrogant attitude - instead of owning up, he wants to take other people down.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6322711.ece

Edited by Dan1

8 million quid for a site that takes simple transactional detail from what ... less than 3000 users. 8 Million quid. How on earth??????

Aidanapword

ITYF the 8 million pounds is the annual running cost of the whole department including no doubt, stupidy expensive London offices and (believe it or not) its own PR department.

Yes, it's still a lot of money for the task, but it's isn't just a web site

tim

ITYF the 8 million pounds is the annual running cost of the whole department including no doubt, stupidy expensive London offices and (believe it or not) its own PR department.

Yes, it's still a lot of money for the task, but it's isn't just a web site

tim

Thanks for clearing things up a little. I do feel better ... but 8 mil on anything this mundane is a nightmare.