House Price Crash Forum

A Society Where Everyone Is A Sociopath

HOLA441

A Society where everyone is a Sociopath

Interesting look at Chimpanzee Politics, explains human behaviour.

This week I want to reach out to all of you who feel that you can no longer trust people. Imagine a world where your worst fears have come true, a world where everyone over the age of 15 is a sociopath. What would it be like to live in that world.

If you only read one book this summer, I strongly urge you to read Chimpanzee Politics: Power and Sex Among Apes by Frans de Waal. I have said before that I think the social-brain of sociopaths is similar to that of chimps. Now having read that book I am even more convinced.

Chimpanzee Politics is the true life story of the relationships between individuals of the Arnhem Chimp Colony. Scientists carefully observed, photographed, filmed and recorded every interaction between troop members over several years. I don’t want to give away the story, because it is shocking, and you should read it for yourself. The chimps’ story is presented as a very readable narrative that brings to life all of their individual personalities.

I want to outline here the major findings that help us to understand ourselves and sociopaths.

1) Chimpanzees practice deception extensively. Take this example given on page 36:

Dandy is the youngest and lowest ranking of the four grown males. The other three, and in particular the alpha male, do not tolerate any sexual intercourse between Dandy and the adult females. Nevertheless, every now and again he does succeed in mating with them after having made a “date.” When this happens Dandy and the female pretend to be walking in the same direction by chance, and if all goes well they meet behind a few tree trunks. These dates take place after the exchange of a few glances and in some case a brief nudge.

This kind of mating is frequently associated with signal suppression and concealment. ..Dandy and a female were courting each other surreptitiously. Dandy began to make advances to the female, while at the same time restlessly looking around to see if any of the other males were watching. Male chimpanzees start their advances by sitting with their legs wide apart revealing their erection. Precisely at the point when Dandy was exhibiting his sexual urge in this way Luit, one of the older males, unexpectedly came around the corner. Dandy immediately dropped his hands over his ***** concealing it from view.

2) Chimpanzees manipulate and instigate.

3) Chimpanzees fake emotions to get attention and influence others.

4) Chimpanzees hurt one another and only care about the hurt because of what others will think. There is an awareness that hurting is wrong and those who hurt are punished, but they do not appear to care unless someone else sees it.

5) A male chimpanzee will use a “friend” to form a coalition to achieve his aims, then soon after turn on the friend. Male chimps have no problem killing their “friends.”

6) Most interestingly, chimpanzees remember each other and recognize individuals but only females take that a step further and maintain a slightly loyal relationship with another individual. All of the chimps’ loyalties are temporary. Their loyalties are based on exchange. Touch which feels good, sex, food and protection are part of the exchange. They have incredible memories for who they have done favors for, and who has done favors for them. The pleasure they receive due to another’s actions is not lasting and if a coalition is to be maintained, it has to be continually reinforced, with touch, food, sex or some other favor.

7) For chimps, affectionate touching is part of dominance coalition development as opposed to meaningful friendship. In other words, my dog comes to get a caress and kiss me because I am special and he loves me. A chimp engages in the same behavior because he knows it will get him something

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Why over the age of 15?

You can debate Nature versus nuture till the cows come home about who or what creates sociopaths... but the blunt reality is that most are sociopaths long before they reach 15 years of age.

perhaps its just are economic system that breed sociopaths, and almost encourages us... I swear reading about traits of sociopaths - pleasant, glib, charming, but lieing and manipulative, devious behind the scenes- It could be applied to many people, not just a small percentage. Perhaps we all have some sociopathic traits.

HOLA448

:lol::lol::lol:

Crocodile

Dundee

With a dirk

Up the rd from St Andrews!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

perhaps its just are economic system that breed sociopaths, and almost encourages us... I swear reading about traits of sociopaths - pleasant, glib, charming, but lieing and manipulative, devious behind the scenes- It could be applied to many people, not just a small percentage. Perhaps we all have some sociopathic traits.

Everything is a continuum. The problem with real sociopaths/psychopaths is that they do not have that little voice that says "I mustn't do that because it would be bad and hurt other living things," just a little voice that says "will I get caught?" Mrs Woods' brother is one. No joke. We're debating about her mother. Seriously.

I've met a few before (about 1 to 2% of the population, so everyone knows one.) The hyper-intelligent ones are truly frightening and dangerous. They lack the moral "restraining bolt" most of us have, but have the ability to coldly calculate other people's behaviour and reactions. They cause misery and misfortune to all around, and then move on to new sets of victims. One I met at university still frightens me. Photographic memory, incredibly quick mind, completely calculating and manipulative whilst displaying a charming exterior.

A good early indiciation of a sociopath is wanton cruelty to animals as a child.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I thought this was going to be a thread about Dundee.

Oddly enough I was just going to mention Dundee, just for your, but you beat me to it!

Do you work for their tourist board, by any chance? ;)

HOLA4413

Oddly enough I was just going to mention Dundee, just for your, but you beat me to it!

Do you work for their tourist board, by any chance? ;)

If I did I don't think I would still be in a job. I am not exactly glowing about the place.

HOLA4414

Sociopathic character traits are positively celebrated in our society, read any 'how to be a success' manual to see how to be one. Its incredible how many don't see or ignore this.

It is deeply embedded in our economic system - we celebrate the success and profits of businesses and banks, argue that morality has no place in their world, only profit. So when people look to emulate what we hold up as success, the dehumanised, amoral search for profit at any cost, is it any wonder society we see more and more emulation of sociopathic behaviour?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

What exactly did he do?

He lived 3 rooms down from me one year. He didn't do anything to me but a fair bit to the local female population. Of course, being a lothario is not the same as being a sociopath, but it was the complete lack of humanity behind the incredibly charming mask. There was something really dead in him. He had almost no possesions and was almost invisible. His rooms were sterile. Disappeared as quickly as he appeared. He mainly hunted away from his base, but when he had outlived his welcome at one college he moved to another. No fanfare. You really go the feeling he was capable of anything without a flicker of moral doubt. The sort of guy who buries bodies in forests. Not everyone saw it in him, as he was so charming, but a few did, especially if they had not fallen for the charm. Very cold.

He differed from other sociopaths I have met. I know, for instance, that Mrs Woods brother would empty my bank account and have a perfectly charming conversation with me the next day and not even feel a flicker of shame or doubt (he currently works in computer security btw...a case of the fox guarding the henhouse if ever there was one...however, if it all goes pear shaped at this job, he'll get another in a week. He can charm anyone, and has no problems making the most grotesque lies on his CV), but this other fellow was somehow different in a disturbing way.

Which reminds me of another story. When I was an undergrad, one of my mates was up studying at 1am when his neighbour left carrying a large back pack. Two hours later (3am) he returned, covered in mud with an empty pack. My friend's enquiry as to what "nightstalker" had been doing, was met with "I had to return some books to the library." 23 years later we both still want to know what he was doing.

• 5 years later...
HOLA4417

I know this is an ancient thread but still...

He lived 3 rooms down from me one year. He didn't do anything to me but a fair bit to the local female population. Of course, being a lothario is not the same as being a sociopath, but it was the complete lack of humanity behind the incredibly charming mask. There was something really dead in him. He had almost no possesions and was almost invisible. His rooms were sterile. Disappeared as quickly as he appeared. He mainly hunted away from his base, but when he had outlived his welcome at one college he moved to another. No fanfare. You really go the feeling he was capable of anything without a flicker of moral doubt. The sort of guy who buries bodies in forests. Not everyone saw it in him, as he was so charming, but a few did, especially if they had not fallen for the charm. Very cold.

Wow, you met a real life version of Douglas Stamper.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Which reminds me of another story. When I was an undergrad, one of my mates was up studying at 1am when his neighbour left carrying a large back pack. Two hours later (3am) he returned, covered in mud with an empty pack. My friend's enquiry as to what "nightstalker" had been doing, was met with "I had to return some books to the library." 23 years later we both still want to know what he was doing.

Returning books to the library, followed by some dogging?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Just read through this thread and thought that I was witnessing the triumphant return of erranta.

Alas it's one from 2010 that somebody's "bumped". :(

If you can hear us, then please come back soon mate...

XYY

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

There's some humanity buried in Dougie. Not this guy, from what i saw.

Doug's decency has the intensity of a pen light and he otherwise has the warmth and personality of a broken, frozen radiator (quietly off the hinge and a silently ticking time bomb to boot). Doug being a blank man living in a blank apartment and with a casual, poorly integrated sex life seems similar enough to your mystery "friend" from college.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Extreme hypocrisy, nor very self aware immaturity, pathological scapegoating, playing the victim, and pathological lying (with the ability to flip like a switch between Jekyll and Hyde personas - see psycho managers in the workplace as a prime example) are fairly reliable indications of a sociopath or psychopath before we get to the theft and physical violence.

One memorable run in with one of these human predators in college was one guy who on the surface seemed gregarious and charismatic, but to this day I sensed beneath his facade barely controlled anger and hatred that was oddly icy. He was comically arrogant and self-important too.

Archived