House Price Crash Forum
Jester

I Had To Smile To Myself

There's no responsibility being a tennant it's lovely.

I have been in a rented house about 18months. I have just had my 2nd estate agent visit. I should have an estate agent check every 6 months and so they're a bit behind schedule.

Anyway, she told me that I had to clean the house lol. I suppose that told me.

I felt very tennantish and just about stopped myself from saying whatever.

One of my favourite things about renting is that if the boiler or shower breaks, I have to make one phone call and it's sorted for free.

In the places I have rented to date (since 2003), only one (worth probably 3 times as much as the cheapest place - I was treating myself for a year), ever had one of these "inspections". The "inspection" process was a complete joke - useless person was in the property for a total of 3.5 minutes - complete waste of the day I took off work - on the basis of that and all the other incompetence of lettings agents I have experienced - I would almost certainly never utilise one (certainly not at the cut they currently take), if I was ever in the unfortunate position of having to rent out a property I (/ the bank) own. What's a parasite living off a parasite called ?

I have been in a rented house about 18months. I have just had my 2nd estate agent visit. I should have an estate agent check every 6 months and so they're a bit behind schedule.

In the places I have rented to date (since 2003), only one (worth probably 3 times as much as the cheapest place - I was treating myself for a year), ever had one of these "inspections". The "inspection" process was a complete joke - useless person was in the property for a total of 3.5 minutes - complete waste of the day I took off work - on the basis of that and all the other incompetence of lettings agents I have experienced - I would almost certainly never utilise one (certainly not at the cut they currently take), if I was ever in the unfortunate position of having to rent out a property I (/ the bank) own. What's a parasite living off a parasite called ?

Yes she wasn't in long. I'm not well today (I didn't tell her that) but she told me that my heating was on too high. She arrived in her posh car so for an estate agent she must still be doing ok.

My landlord is a really good bloke though and he does look after this house. I just hope that he's not too upset to hear that it needs the hoover running round.

when i was in private rented accommodation, i had John Mortimer (Bracknell - never ever be stupid enough to rent from these shysters) come round 6 weeks before i was leaving the rental - come round and measure all the carpets as they were old worn and unfit. Little did i know that upon leaving the agent stole £1200 security deposit citing the carpets were worn and dirty -this was before the tenant security changes. Before we too the place we looked at some really luxurious homes but knew with 2 young kids the carpets would get wrecked, hence why we took a property with bad carpeting and worn old furniture which looked like it had been brought from a furniture bank.

John Mortimer's reputation proceeds them, i am not the first and wont be the last to get stung by these criminals.

+1

Looking back I can't work out how some of my landlords on BTL mortgages broke even ... they appear to have kept the property too (from my research on houseprices.co.uk), so any capital gains are now being rapidly wiped out too.

Meanwhile, I'm making 7.8% averaged tax free every year with my Shares ISA and average ten minutes / week sat on my **** in front of Selftrade. That said, I have sold out temporarily on the UK, by buying 80%+ into non-UK investments - but then the long term writing was displayed via a flashing neon sign in 2005. Once we've managed to sort ourselves out, I'll be seeding the real recovery with the profits made.

The two times I actually met one of my landlords, were in the communal hallway of a converted house ... he looked like he was hours away from complete mental breakdown, as he stuffed the junk mail, from the overflowing mail box of an empty property, into a bin bag. The other time, I felt physically sick from the experience. The most Tory of Tory people I ever had the misfortune to meet - I made sure he made as little profit as possible from having me as a tenant, yet I was complemented on check-out on how nicely I left the property and what a fantastic tenant I had been - he was still offering me one of his other properties as I handed the keys back.

One of my favourite things about renting is that if the boiler or shower breaks, I have to make one phone call and it's sorted for free.

a DESPERATE parasite? except in these times the host (sellers) are even more desperate?

Yes she wasn't in long. I'm not well today (I didn't tell her that) but she told me that my heating was on too high. She arrived in her posh car so for an estate agent she must still be doing ok.

My landlord is a really good bloke though and he does look after this house. I just hope that he's not too upset to hear that it needs the hoover running round.

She had an opinion on your heating? Weird. Next time, have it on full blast and greet her in a pair of speedos, or a thong.

when i was in private rented accommodation, i had John Mortimer (Bracknell - never ever be stupid enough to rent from these shysters) come round 6 weeks before i was leaving the rental - come round and measure all the carpets as they were old worn and unfit. Little did i know that upon leaving the agent stole £1200 security deposit citing the carpets were worn and dirty -this was before the tenant security changes. Before we too the place we looked at some really luxurious homes but knew with 2 young kids the carpets would get wrecked, hence why we took a property with bad carpeting and worn old furniture which looked like it had been brought from a furniture bank.

John Mortimer's reputation proceeds them, i am not the first and wont be the last to get stung by these criminals.

I don't expect to get my deposit back either.

She had an opinion on your heating? Weird. Next time, have it on full blast and greet her in a pair of speedos, or a thong.

also have a list of things she needs to get done lying next to a list of other property for rent on the coffee table, tell her you are going for a shower, and not to be there when you get back.

I have just had my 2nd estate agent visit. I should have an estate agent check every 6 months and so they're a bit behind schedule.

I've been a tenant since STR-ing in late 2007 & not once have I had my 6 monthly inspection by the letting agent - lazy feckers.

The majority of the rent you pay is effectively a premium for someone else (the landlord) to take the property risk for you.

It didn't pay for many years but is now quite a cheap insurance policy I think :)

Er, no its included in your rent.......

Funny that, because the gross yield on this place is around 3%, same as the LL could get for cash in a bank... so which bit of my rent is going to pay for boilers exactly?

also have a list of things she needs to get done lying next to a list of other property for rent on the coffee table, tell her you are going for a shower, and not to be there when you get back.

I did tell her what needed doing. She siad that it was all the tennants responsibility to get someone in (which was probably true). I did say that I wouldn't be doing it so I might even be evicted now. She told me that she would let the landlord know.

I've lived here 6 years and have never had a visit.

I suppose it means that my rent is at least 20% cheaper?

Strangely enough the government wants to use the same system for council housing! Giving people secure tenancies and letting people get on with their lives doesn't seem to work anymore....

I've been a tenant since STR-ing in late 2007 & not once have I had my 6 monthly inspection by the letting agent - lazy feckers.

I've been renting in Sydney since cashng in in 2007.

The inspections have been short and regular.

We didn't cut the lawn for a few weeks as we'd had lots of rain and it would spoil the lawn but we got told that we must cut it regularly.

So now we do and it looks a lot worse but hey we comply.

Edited by WiseBear

For my last-but-one inspection through the letting agents, the guy called me 5 minutes before he was due:

LA: "Oh hi its ####, I checked your place last time. I've got a dentist appointment to make, just remind me is it a studio or one bedroom flat?"

ME: "One bedroom"

LA: "Any problems?"

ME: "No"

LA: "OK, thanks a lot. Bye."

Seriously.

I don't know why tenants would object to inspections. They are a perfect opportunity to get hold of someone's attention to get problems sorted.

Of course, if the 'inspector' told me to clean up or turn the heating down (wtf?), I would tell them that was none of their business.

I'm not well today (I didn't tell her that) but she told me that my heating was on too high.

who pays for your heating bills?

Funny that, because the gross yield on this place is around 3%, same as the LL could get for cash in a bank... so which bit of my rent is going to pay for boilers exactly?

+1

no it isn't

Er, yes it is. Your rent covers the cost of running the investment as a whole. If the yield is only 3% then that doesn't mean that the rent doesn't include all sorts of extra things. Just means that the house price used in the calculation of yield is too high.

Halve the house price in your yield calculation and the yield goes to 6%.

Aidanapword

Edited by Aidan Ap Word