House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Construction P M I Lifts Off As Recovery Gains Momentum

9:42, Thursday 2 December 2010
LONDON (Reuters) - Activity growth in Britain's construction sector
unexpectedly picked up
in November (Berlin: NBXB.BE - news) as firms were upbeat about future prospects despite a slowdown in new orders growth, a survey showed on Thursday.
The Markit/Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply construction PMI rose to 51.8 in November from 51.6 in October, confounding forecasts for a fall to 51.0.

Manufacturing also up unexpectedly--so where is the problem? It appears we are immune from the global slowdown and have no reason for a HPC.

Spoke to a painter & decorator last Friday.

He said his firm is shutting down for Christmas at the end of this week. Tried to find some extra work. Best offer £35/ day after tax and travel costs to London.

I would suggest this means there is not much work on offer in the construction industry.

Spoke to a painter & decorator last Friday.

He said his firm is shutting down for Christmas at the end of this week. Tried to find some extra work. Best offer £35/ day after tax and travel costs to London.

I would suggest this means there is not much work on offer in the construction industry.

As the news seems to be saying the opposite is true it may be the case that the government are talking the market up "for the good of the nation" and what we are seeing are tractor production figures.

IMO, the PMI data appears to be contrary to reality.

9:42, Thursday 2 December 2010
LONDON (Reuters) - Activity growth in Britain's construction sector
unexpectedly picked up
in November (Berlin: NBXB.BE - news) as firms were upbeat about future prospects despite a slowdown in new orders growth, a survey showed on Thursday.
The Markit/Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply construction PMI rose to 51.8 in November from 51.6 in October, confounding forecasts for a fall to 51.0.

Manufacturing also up unexpectedly--so where is the problem? It appears we are immune from the global slowdown and have no reason for a HPC.

Wasn't this something to do with the last set of purchase orders from the Brown administration working their way through the system as part of this torched earth policy.

As the news seems to be saying the opposite is true it may be the case that the government are talking the market up "for the good of the nation" and what we are seeing are tractor production figures.

IMO, the PMI data appears to be contrary to reality.

Government data is always at least three months, more likely six, behind.

There was an upturn in construction at the beginning of the year. It is probably truning back down again now.

tim

Right now, I get the impression that reality appears to be contrary to reality...

Totally agree, the line between what is real and what is make believe has almost disappeared.

Still when you can print money to create GDP then reality is in short supply :unsure:

From where I'm sat {at home} there's no pick up ,and as i work[ed] in the steel industry there was mass layoff`s at the beginning of 09 and then subsequently reemployed at the beginning of 0.10 but by august this year the layoffs was repeated under the company's {biggest steel producer in the uk}initiative weathering the storm .

From the above I think its either wishful thinking/positive talk or as a previous post suggested a lag in government #s ,as the demand for steel fell of a cliff mid/late summer and very little manufacturing /construction gets done without steel