House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bloo Loo

Breaking 2018 World Cup Bid

Now berate me if Im wrong, but dont the FIFA people know a thing or two about football?

WHY do we need a parade of talking heads telling them what an honour it would be so a few games of football could be played here.

Is this the standard of Public Life.

Junket after junket of BullShine?

Now the Prime Minister is on...

Thanks for allowing us to present......we are going to put the most spectacular World Cup ever.

I cant watch any more.

Now berate me if Im wrong, but dont the FIFA people know a thing or two about football?

WHY do we need a parade of talking heads telling them what an honour it would be so a few games of football could be played here.

Is this the standard of Public Life.

Junket after junket of BullShine?

Now the Prime Minister is on...

Thanks for allowing us to present......we are going to put the most spectacular World Cup ever.

I cant watch any more.

It's starting to annoy me already. Both SKY News and BBC News24 are showing precisely the same live feeds on this. It's another sign of our fvcked up sense of priorities, in my view. It's merely a game and, regardless of what some people think, it is not of staggering national importance. Why on earth is the PM there? It's got nothing to do with government, it's a private commercial venture, not something organised by national governments so why are we wasting money sending senior government officals? Surely there are more pressing things for them to be getting on with?

It's starting to annoy me already. Both SKY News and BBC News24 are showing precisely the same live feeds on this. It's another sign of our fvcked up sense of priorities, in my view. It's merely a game and, regardless of what some people think, it is not of staggering national importance. Why on earth is the PM there? It's got nothing to do with government, it's a private commercial venture, not something organised by national governments so why are we wasting money sending senior government officals? Surely there are more pressing things for them to be getting on with?

They have to ensure they get their wad of complimentary tickets in the VIP boxes if England win the bid. ;)

Why on earth is the PM there? It's got nothing to do with government, it's a private commercial venture, not something organised by national governments so why are we wasting money sending senior government officals? Surely there are more pressing things for them to be getting on with?

I agree with your sentiment entirely. However, you make the fatal mistake of assuming football is just a game. You need to ask yourself what is its real purpose in the modern world.

Ask yourself why certain occupations not only receive no criticism, but are in fact heavily supported and sponsored by government. Then look at the Swedish austerity programme and note that outcry only occured when the government there cut football grants. Ask why celebrities of dubious merit are often included in the New Year's Honours List. It's all about controlling the sheep, whilst you fleece them naked. In short, if you want free money, look for ways of keeping the general population placated whilst they are robbed. Wonder why there is always another sheik, oligarc or billionaire ready to bail out a footie club? Now you have your answer.

I have mixed views on this subject.

I would love the World cup to come to England. I love to watch Football and was lucky enough to visit South Africa for this years finals. I spent good money in SA and enjoyed meeting the people. Football supporters eat food,sleep, travel and spend lots of money.

The atmosphere in South Africa was electric. Even people who did not like footy were enjoying the festivals.

I often hear people and have read that people on here who tend to knock football will take time out to watch the `big games`...have bbq`s, big family gatherings etc. Pubs and clubs do well..

Euro96 was a massive success in this country. Just imagine the feel good factor if we won it.

I think combined with the Olympics in 2012 if we won the right to host World cup 2018 it will go a very long way in boosting our economy. I employ a lot of people and the World cup will bring buisness through our doors and that can only be good. Plenty of companies will benefit from WC 2018 and that is why we have the Prime minister, our future King and David Beckham in Zurich brown nosing those fat Fifa ba.stards. If we do not get it this time, the next time we will stand a chance will probably be something like 2030.

Fifa is corrupt and it boils my piss that we have to do this in a fashion that is akin to joining some *****y elitist golf club. Sucking up to the club captain and trying to curry favour with the other senior members. It`s sad.

I am still proud to be English and I know this will benefit our country.

Fingers crossed (From me anyway) :)

Bread and the Circus...

FIFA are corrupt, everybody knows FIFA is corrupt, FIFA has ALWAYS been corrupt. In the modern age, you get awarded the worldcup by buying FIFA. Thats how it works. Don't invite youself to the show if you can't afford the price of the ticket. Did some c0ck actually think they could shame FIFA into giving the worldcup to england? FIFA wants everyone to know they are corrupt, thats how they get the best bribes. The IOC are not far behind. Journo's running around saying "it's just not fair" answer me this, where was it ever written it would be fair? The FIFA exec is not some body of elected public office officials, although they display some of characteristics of public office (lying, cheating, self serving, troffing, greedy bastards) - they are just a bunch of guys running a racket, a finely honed international money making racket.

2 things are certain about a worldcup, scotland won't qualify and england will go no further than the quarter finals, and england can achieve that no matter where the tournament is held. I was holding out hope for spain & portugal, the weather would be better & the beer cheaper.