House Price Crash Forum
JonoP

Rule Britannia, Britannia Rule The Waves Etc

Much cheaper to run that way.

they have no aircraft ? the harrier goes out of service and the JSF is unaffordable until later.

i dont see why they dont mothball the new carriers since with no planes they are utterly pointless.

Maybe Argentina might like it?

well if they find oil down there, i am sure the funding for the JSF will be assured.

although in honesty. the falkland islands has been beefed up. they are no threat. no carrier needed on the falklands base.

argies would be out of fuel by the time they met the typhoons. they would be shot to bits.

perhaps we dont need carriers anymore anyway ?

Edited by right_freds_dead

i prefer the new generation of carriers that dont have any aircraft until 2020

Perhaps the carriers could be used for the annual Worthing birdman competition? Would be a waste otherwise.

media,54796,en.jpg

birdmanPA_450x620.jpg

And the new fighter:

funny-gallery-birdman-rally-02.jpg

Edited by mikthe20

well if they find oil down there, i am sure the funding for the JSF will be assured.

although in honesty. the falkland islands has been beefed up. they are no threat. no carrier needed on the falklands base.

argies would be out of fuel by the time they met the typhoons. they would be shot to bits.

Plus the Argentinians haven't spent anything much on their forces recently due to economic problems and also, I suspect due to becoming a democracy. When the generals ran the show they could spend whatever they wanted on the forces, but not any more.....

They lost around 60 planes including around 2/3 of all of their combat aircraft in the Falklands war 28 years ago, and they have not bought anything more since. They've got around 30 fighter / bombers altogether, mostly 30 years old or more.

Plus the Argentinians haven't spent anything much on their forces recently due to economic problems and also, I suspect due to becoming a democracy. When the generals ran the show they could spend whatever they wanted on the forces, but not any more.....

They lost around 60 planes including around 2/3 of all of their combat aircraft in the Falklands war 28 years ago, and they have not bought anything more since. They've got around 30 fighter / bombers altogether, mostly 30 years old or more.

You're still thinking old style wars, i.e you need a tank to kill a tank, or you need a fighter to destroy a fighter. All they would need to take down the falklands would be some cruise missiles, bomb the pilot's quarters and those typhoons would be worthless. Hell if they used missiles to destroy the runway at Stanley they would be equally worthless.

If you can't stand toe to toe then don't stand toe to toe! The Iraqis insurgents have realised this which is why they are winning the Iraq war, same with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan, they won't stand and be shot to bits they'll bring along a massive sniper rifle shoot a soldier in the spine and run away.

You're still thinking old style wars, i.e you need a tank to kill a tank, or you need a fighter to destroy a fighter. All they would need to take down the falklands would be some cruise missiles, bomb the pilot's quarters and those typhoons would be worthless. Hell if they used missiles to destroy the runway at Stanley they would be equally worthless.

If you can't stand toe to toe then don't stand toe to toe! The Iraqis insurgents have realised this which is why they are winning the Iraq war, same with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan, they won't stand and be shot to bits they'll bring along a massive sniper rifle shoot a soldier in the spine and run away.

Where would they get the cruise missiles? If they had some then where would they launch them from? They don't have any aircraft or ships capable of launching cruise missiles. I suppose if they got a destroyer within about 30km they could shell the runway with their 5 inch guns. Perhaps they could bomb the runway using their pucara aircraft if they could get near enough. What chance do you think a pucara has against a eurofighter?

Edited by the gardener

Where would they get the cruise missiles? If they had some then where would they launch them from? They don't have any aircraft or ships capable of launching cruise missiles. I suppose if they got a destroyer within about 30km they could shell the runway with their 5 inch guns. Perhaps they could bomb the runway using their pucara aircraft if they could get near enough. What chance do you think a pucara has against a eurofighter?

Looks like they hit some viable oil down there yesterday - this could all get a bit heated.

(Could also be our way out of this economic mess)

They don't need any of that high tech crap - last year the SAS conducted a readiness test on the airfield at Port Stanley - the word is a handful of them rendered it inoperable in under an hour.

Edited by Krackersdave

Today

Falklands oil found by Desire Petroleum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11906367

Could get interesting

They don't need any of that high tech crap - last year the SAS conducted a readiness test on the airfield at Port Stanley - the word is a handful of them rendered it inoperable in under an hour.

Well we better hope the SAS don't attack Port Stanley then.

The Argentine special forces however, consist of four aged hippies and a dog.

they have no aircraft ? the harrier goes out of service and the JSF is unaffordable until later.

i dont see why they dont mothball the new carriers since with no planes they are utterly pointless.

Or just put the perfectly servicable Harriers on them.

Nothing wrong with the Harrier. The only reason they want JSF is because it can go supersonic and the harrier can't.

Theres not really much call for supersonic aircraft now anyway though, since there are plenty of supersonic surface-to-air missiles.

The harrier is actually a better design than the JSF, which has to have a stupid second lift engine/fan where the bombs should be.

The harriers only had 2 bad points:

=> It's high crash rate, now resolved by putting a computer in charge of the vertical-to-horizontal flight transition process (the pilots kept getting it wrong and vectoring the thrust backwards before having enough forward speed forthe wings to generate lift)

=> Problems when landing fully fueled and armed, requiring them to dump fuel or weapons in the sea if they had a problem and needed to land again immediately after take-off... a problem probably resolved by the new carriers having massive decks with room for rolling landings.