House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pauly_Boy

Brian Cox Talking About Impartiality In The Media

I'm just watching "RTS Huw Wheldon Lecture 2010 - Science: A Challenge to TV Orthodoxy" on BBC2 now.

I'm unsure how to describe it, but Brian Cox is talking about impartiality in the Media in the media in regard to science, very interesting as we all know there is a hidden agenda in the media!

Edit: Program is now on iPlayer ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wfnqg/Royal_Television_Society_Lecture_2010/

Impartiality has never, and can never exist in the media so long as humans are involved in its production.

And thank god for that too.

What scares me is that the status quo for the last 100 years has actually wanted to achieve what they call 'impartiality', which would be more accurately described as censorship.

The only free media is a media which can interpret things as they see fit, be it a right wing or left wing or some other viewpoint.

lefties seem to be the least impartial

they need to re-educate you or open your mind, because they see themselves as impartial and understanding over and above everybody else

having said that I did an anti-landlord troll post on a telegraph personal finance comments board and got deleted, tho it was a bit rude!

lefties seem to be the least impartial

they need to re-educate you or open your mind, because they see themselves as impartial and understanding over and above everybody else

having said that I did an anti-landlord troll post on a telegraph personal finance comments board and got deleted, tho it was a bit rude!

+1

A leftie will always shout down the voice of reason, for proof of this just watch question time and watch the loonies go. As soon as a right winger says anything remotely close to the common sence point of view, they get shouted down, look at how the two tory peers have had their words blown out of all proportions in the last 3 weeks!

+1

A leftie will always shout down the voice of reason, for proof of this just watch question time and watch the loonies go. As soon as a right winger says anything remotely close to the common sence point of view, they get shouted down, look at how the two tory peers have had their words blown out of all proportions in the last 3 weeks!

James Delingpole writes about this in his book 'How to be Right' - he calls it 'closing down the argument'. It's a tactic that tends to be used by the left if they can't argue their position rationally, eg shouting 'racism' if you try to debate immigration etc.

James Delingpole writes about this in his book 'How to be Right' - he calls it 'closing down the argument'. It's a tactic that tends to be used by the left if they can't argue their position rationally, eg shouting 'racism' if you try to debate immigration etc.

left wing social science intellectuals often use EITHER over-simplistic arguments ( they confuse with their sheer naivity and popular-dogmatism) OR wordsmithery, ie very very long words spoken very quickly together, to close down the argument (I suppose this is what they are doing), as a reply has to go back to such intrinsic basics that the flow is lost. However, Ken Clarke does that too....