House Price Crash Forum
gazwheat

Lying Ea's

Looking through the local paper this evening I noticed in the property section several houses with the word "NEW" plastered across one corner.

However I couldn't help but notice these same houses were in the paper last week, and the week before, and the week before that. In fact some of these houses have been on the market for months. So what the hell is NEW about them?

The prices haven't even changed. How do EA's get away with this? :angry:

Because they are sociopaths. They join a secret society of sociopaths. They have a special test to establish that they are sociopaths. If they don't pass the test then they have to go to remedial sociopath school. Its obvious really. B)

Is it the same EA?

If they've moved agents, it might be "NEW" to the new agent.

Just like movies are "PREMIERE"s on ITV3.

Then it's a PREMIERE on ITV2.

Then finally it's a PREMIERE on ITV1.

Then onto UK Gold, and finally, TMF......

One of our better local agents groups "Reduced and new to the market" together in the same section. Sneaky...

they think it helps them sell to the unwary- maybe it does.

but as the market slide continues, their credibility will erode to zero,

and by the bottom no one will believe them, even when they speak truthfully

sad but true

Do they speak truthfully or is that something yet to come?

Funny to read this today - I emailed an agent as they had written in the description of one of their properties "Early Viewing Recommended"

I asked them why it's recommended when the property has been up for sale for over 18 months, with numerous agents - also to let.

I've driven past it every day for the last two years and watched it's birth from a pile of bricks.

i think it is because of the kind of people that are typically employed. cheap. unqualified. suit wearing sales types. they became EAs as this has more projectable prestige than selling bottled water. its an end to finding a partner and they wear a job like a coat.

it suits the white lie teller. the track records of liars are better than honest ones. EAs are people who would love to have been qualified engineers, lawyers etc, but they simply didnt have any commitment to get qualified. they would also tend to have bad relationships and/or financial problems. tend to be social drinkers. a lot are older mid 30s 2nd career movers with failed pasts.

EA poetic licence...

'We feel this property is especially suited to first time buyers'.

= 'nobody else would live in it except the scum at the bottom of the market'

Anyway it's fairly academic now since there aren't any. Pity, that...

'Vendor suited'

= chain will fall apart unless someone bites soon

'luxury conservatory'

= usually some cheap plastic UPVC thing stuck on the back of the house

'luxury apartment'

= contradiction in terms, surely...

'two double bedrooms'

= one double bedroom and a boxroom

'Juliet balcony'

= there's a set of patio doors in the living room and there are railings to stop you falling to your death in case one day you open them and try to walk onto the balcony that doesn't actually exist

'Key features include a double bedroom, kitchen and a garden'

Real selling points, those, makes them stand out amongst competing properties.

Edited by DTMark

EA poetic licence...

"3/4 Bedrooms"

Which is it? 3 or 4 bedrooms? Just because it's got a dining room doesn't make it a 4th bedroom. That really pisses me off. Especially when I'm trying to find a 4 bed house that I can actually afford. :angry:

:ph34r:

Tip: You can tell when an Estate agent lies. (apart from their mouth moving)

If you ask a simple but direct question i.e. “have previous buyers pulled out of

Buying this house due to surveys highlighting problems?”

If the first sound to come out of their lips is “err” (thinking time) followed by a very plausible

And believable excuse, they’re lying.

Not forgeting the classic post offer phantom buyer, who 'just put in an offer £500 over your offer', 'can you offer an extra £1000 please?' Even the house has been on the market for 12 years.

Edited by Nelly

EA poetic licence...

'We feel this property is especially suited to first time buyers'.

= 'nobody else would live in it except the scum at the bottom of the market'

Anyway it's fairly academic now since there aren't any. Pity, that...

'Vendor suited'

= chain will fall apart unless someone bites soon

'luxury conservatory'

= usually some cheap plastic UPVC thing stuck on the back of the house

'luxury apartment'

= contradiction in terms, surely...

'two double bedrooms'

= one double bedroom and a boxroom

'Juliet balcony'

= there's a set of patio doors in the living room and there are railings to stop you falling to your death in case one day you open them and try to walk onto the balcony that doesn't actually exist

'Key features include a double bedroom, kitchen and a garden'

Real selling points, those, makes them stand out amongst competing properties.

:lol: very good...particularly the Juliet balcony.

You forgot 'Excellent transport links.'

= garden backs onto express railway line.

Funny to read this today - I emailed an agent as they had written in the description of one of their properties "Early Viewing Recommended"

I asked them why it's recommended when the property has been up for sale for over 18 months, with numerous agents - also to let.

I've driven past it every day for the last two years and watched it's birth from a pile of bricks.

i feel a bit daft now because i always thought 'early viewing' meant best appreciated in early day light.

:o

so, it's actually like an 'urgent' sticker?

"3/4 Bedrooms"

Which is it? 3 or 4 bedrooms? Just because it's got a dining room doesn't make it a 4th bedroom. That really pisses me off. Especially when I'm trying to find a 4 bed house that I can actually afford.

I went to see a bungalow two weeks ago (just to stop the wife from nagging). EA said it was three bedroom.

When I got there it was one bedroom.

One of the rooms was knocked through to make a lager dining room and the other was a loft that hadn't yet been converted.

Another I went to see the EA said ready to move in. T'old lady had died. Had no central heating, no kitchen (just cooker), wanted rewiring and new bathroom.

It wasn't fit for the squatters to move straight into.

Whilst 90% of the EA's I have dealt with are lying scum I have met more honest ones too.

However what I don't understand is why any seller or buyer would use Foxtons?!

They're very expensive.

Their sales-style is the worst I have encountered (too pushy, too arrogant).

They are terrible liars (everything is over-glossed and their suits and mini-bmw's just make them seem even more suspicious).

Why do people pay for this cr@p?

I went to see a bungalow two weeks ago (just to stop the wife from nagging). EA said it was three bedroom.

One of the rooms was knocked through to make a lager dining room and the other was a loft that hadn't yet been converted.

Another I went to see the EA said ready to move in. T'old lady had died. Had no central heating, no kitchen (just cooker), wanted rewiring and new bathroom.

It wasn't fit for the squatters to move straight into.

i think it means three quarters of a bedroom... they are certainly common :)

Will they have to work for their money again?

I have left details with loads of EA for 4 or 5 bed houses to let. I have seen them come on the market but have never had a call from an EA to tell me.

Will they have to go back to the old days of keeping databases of potential customers and then ringing them with pontential houses.

I have viewed many houses but never has an EA rung me to see what I thought.

Sometimes you get an old description of the property. EAs are so used to flipping properties now they often don't bother updating from the last instructions they received, even when these are 7 years out of date.

/G

Not forgeting the classic post offer phantom buyer, who 'just put in an offer £500 over your offer', 'can you offer an extra £1000 please?' Even the house has been on the market for 12 years.

Is that the trick Kirsty and Phil seem to fall for nine times out of ten on Location, Location, Location?

I suppose it's easy enough when you're spending someone else's money.

EAs lie because (i)Basic salaries are rubbish and you usually rely on commission to get anywhere near a living wage and everything's strongly target driven (ii)There's no job security.

Anyone thought of setting up an EA where agents are just paid a decent basic - no targets - no commission? An EAgency with an honest approach to property?

I have had a very curious discussion with an estate agent over the last week. He wanted me to see a property priced at £290K because it was a bargain. Apparently somebody else was champing at the bit to get it and had put in an offer of £270K. Trouble is they are stuck in a chain and I'm cash. Bear in mind I haven't even seen this property and don't even intend going to see it.

Today I got a call to say that they will take £225K for the property. So we get a variation of £65K within a week. Unless estate agents stop this cycle of prevarication they will always be treated as the incompetent fools they are. They remind me of football hooligans wearing suits.

It would seem that having a d**k attached to your head is inextricably linked with politicians, car salesmen, estate agents, double-glazing salesman, all phone helpdesk staff but mostly estate agents. These self-important little jerks are the most unprofessional of all trades. Page one of the 'teach yourself estate agency pamphlet' reads TELL LIES and BE RUDE. Unfortunately none of them got beyond page one.