House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pole

How They Kept Trains Running Despite The Snow

Don't see any conductor rails or overhead lines in that picture, the train also appears to be powered by coal.

..as late as 1966 the Glasgow Central to Euston express was coal powered....a real choo choo..... :rolleyes:

I'll bet they turned up in droves to see that sort of thing even in the cold. Then home for piping hot mug of tea and a hot meal ;)

For sheer simple overall entertainment value it would beat SKY into a cocked hat.

Edited by billybong

That snow plow train is so badass! Lets have them! If only we had those, commuters would be scared into paying higher than inflation fares whilst still having to become a human sardine for the pleasure. Oh, wait a minute.. :ph34r: forget scaring the sheeple, lets just erode their expectations continuously until they are only grateful to get there in one piece. Here mr conductor, have more money than it costs to circumnavigate the globe for a trip into I'm-so-good-London.

I remember that terrible winter in 1963, solid ice piled in the gutters right up to March in my part of London where I lived at the time. Commuters hardly affected and the trains ran a very good service. Don`t remember ever being late for work or home in the evening. A time when I tasted my very first hamburger, stood outside Ilford Station from 5 am to 9 am selling the morning papers to the Commuters. ;)

By jiminy we were tough in the good old days and property was a bargain against wages earnt. :P

I loved trains when I was a kid. I used to ride my bike out to a bridge over the Peterborough-London main line just to watch them pass.

Red. Amber. Double Amber. Green! There's one! Intercity 125!

Now we can't keep them running through a 30C temperature range, and a bit of snow.

Pitiful.

the snow plough footage is taken on the west highland line

the ploughs they have now are even bigger

sometimes you hit 12 ft + drifts on Rannoch moor

and they still use the steam train from May to October

for the Ft William - Mallaig run

I used to drive it in the 90s

I loved trains when I was a kid. I used to ride my bike out to a bridge over the Peterborough-London main line just to watch them pass.

In my day all my mates wanted to be a train driver on the old steam locomotive trains but sadly they were not good enough so ended up being an Astra Physicist, a Civil Engineer, a Customs Investigator, and a RAF Fighter Pilot, what a waste. :D

I don`t remember the various organisations in London saying how much the weather was costing the London Economy in losses.

There is no reason we can't have a few engines and teams of men with shovels out doing it today.

2.5 million unemployed on JSA like me. Given that the work would be of a short nature, and mens work. A flat rate of £5 per hour on top of benefits could be paid to the short-term workers, to keep transport moving and business going.

I'd be well up for that. The main problem I've got at the minute with work, is I can't find a job with enough hours per week to make it pay more than benefits, due to high rents and housing benefit system mainly, also council tax and cost of travel to work.

I wonder how many people are still paid even though they dont make it to work?

Most are forced to take holidays if the time cant be taken off in lieu.

Another reason why BT needs to ramp up its Infinity roll out becuase alot more work is conducted on a computer and in alot more cases working remotely is a workaround to not being in the office, but where businesses have a weak link is all documents into the company need to be scanned into their systems as alot of computer work still requires paperwork.

Tuesday: snow not too bad...manager gets lift in from husband...workers from outlying areas are told by the manager they have to come in. Mrs Loo Walks in, past a line of stranded vehicles, (later gritted out)

Weds: snow about the same...manager cant get lift, wont brave the snow, rings in, says husband wont ALLOW her to drive in...Mrs Loo Walks in again.

Thursday: snow worse....Mrs Loo walked in. Baby Loo returns home, no buses, rings boss...GET IN OR ELSE.

management seems to be so poor these days.

tables turned.

My old boss insisted work was open even though I lived 28 miles away in the eye of a snowstorm that brought down pylons and killed two men from exposure. The snow was higher than the car roofs. I set off and when I arrived 4 hours later she said thank you, work has just closed. Last I heard of her she'd lost her job and the plot and was walking the streets in her underwear. So much for hard **** management.

Poland got its first snow of the year.

Total choas. Public transport badly affected, accidents blocking roads. roads snared up.

Its the same every year when the snow comes. Happens in Germany as well.

Summer tyres are useless in snow.

Red. Amber. Double Amber. Green! There's one! Intercity 125!

Now we can't keep them running through a 30C temperature range, and a bit of snow.

Just heard on R4 reports that there is also snow chaos (trains etc.) in Berlin and Sweden.

Some German paper even has a headline to that effect.

Whether their chaos is as chaotic as ours is another matter. ;)

In the last two days in central London (very little snow) the traffic has been incredibly quiet (quieter than a Sunday). People just aren't even bothering?

What a brilliant little film, thanks for posting.

We've almost a foot here in Reigate and I've just been out to see if it's possible to pick my car up having abandoned it on Tuesday night. - it's not.

No trains, no buses and the office is shut.

Ah those were the days: coal fires; no internet; vegetables and fruit that tasted like they should - bloody marvellous!

In the film you can see the businessmen enjoying a silver service meal on the train and having a cigarette afterwards too. There's no doubt some things just were more civilized in the old days.

In the last two days in central London (very little snow) the traffic has been incredibly quiet (quieter than a Sunday). People just aren't even bothering?

I'm part of a skeleton staff at work, who have to come in whatever happens (weather, terrorism etc) The other two are on the list because they live in walking distance. I'm on it because I own a bicycle! :lol:

People think I'm mad but even in this kind of weather a bicycle is still the best way to get round London. I take the tyre pressure down to 40psi and wear hiking boots, keep my speed down and just get off if there's any sign of skidding. Even keeping to 5mph you still get about faster than anyone else.

Ooowww, trains and snow, my favs. What a super film. thanks.

Those guys were hardy to be shovelling snow without wearing any gloves.

Engine name made me laugh; Barbados. Wouldn't that be nice?

Yeah I was impressed with that. I wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes especially with holding metal of the actual shovel.

Clearly the whole film shows a complete disregard for health and safety. Trains running in the snow!!! Shocking the health and safety board would have a fit over that now.

Not that much snow here (couple of inches perhaps), and just about everyone seems to be in work. I'm not sure about the most senior managers but who notices them anyway? The sad thing is that although it's not as much snow as back in January its effect is the same, i.e. neither were enough to actually bog down a car, but both are enough to make the road slippery. Yet then it was very quiet. All psychological.

As an aside, I would be pretty annoyed if I was forced to take annual leave if I genuinely couldn't get in. As far as I'm concerned I don't see how it's any different from being sick. This lot would probably make you take leave if I turned up only to find they'd closed the office for the day.

Not that much snow here (couple of inches perhaps), and just about everyone seems to be in work. I'm not sure about the most senior managers but who notices them anyway? The sad thing is that although it's not as much snow as back in January its effect is the same, i.e. neither were enough to actually bog down a car, but both are enough to make the road slippery. Yet then it was very quiet. All psychological.

As an aside, I would be pretty annoyed if I was forced to take annual leave if I genuinely couldn't get in. As far as I'm concerned I don't see how it's any different from being sick. This lot would probably make you take leave if I turned up only to find they'd closed the office for the day.

I am sure that a read somewhere that they couldnt insist on it being taken as annual leave, some employmernt law somewhere! Anyways, i am in even though the snow was over my Hunters (I am all Phil Spencer today), but nobody else has made it and its still snowing. I have done my bits and pieces and now twiddling my thumbs, unfortunately, it appears that most of the pople I have to do buisness with have not made it either as we have had one phone call.