House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Meat Puppet

More Condem Waffling On Hb

This is a press release from yesterday so apologies if it has been posted already, but from the DWP:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2010/nov-2010/dwp167-10-301110.shtml

Ministers today reaffirmed their determination to drive private sector rents for Housing Benefit recipients down, and stop taxpayers paying over the odds by announcing discretionary powers for local authorities to make direct payments to landlords in return for reducing their rents. The announcement comes as Housing Benefit Regulations are laid in Parliament today.

The Government is taking necessary steps to manage Housing Benefit costs and are implementing all Local Authority Housing Allowance measures announced in the emergency Budget in June 2010.

To avoid families being disrupted twice, first by the Caps in April 2011 and then by the reduction in Local Housing Allowance to the 30th percentile in October 2011, they will now both come into force in April 2011 for new customers.

However, existing customers will be exempt for up to 9 months from the date their claim is reviewed by their local authority. This will allow them time to adjust to any reduction in Housing Benefit entitlement and in practice means many existing customers will not be affected until after January 2012.

Ministers have also announced today a further £50 million has been allocated over the Spending Review period to support these measures, such as helping local authorities to negotiate lower rents and helping those that do need to move.

In addition, from April 2011, claimants who meet the criteria will immediately become entitled to an additional bedroom space for a non residential carer.

Minister for Welfare Reform, Lord Freud said:

"We are looking to private landlords to respond to the need for lower rents and in return we are prepared to permit direct payments from the state.

"This incentive will bring an overall downward pressure on rents in the private sector. As these rents come down, more properties will become available to claimants and landlords will have certainty that their income will be protected."

However, Ministers are clear this is likely to be a temporary agreement to provide an incentive to landlords to lower their rents and is by no means a return to direct payments being made to landlords as a matter of course.

So not only do existing claimants get a 9 month reprieve, but somehow the taxpayer will save money by bribing landlords to accept lower rents.

As much as I hated the last lot, this government is looking weak and lost.

This is a press release from yesterday so apologies if it has been posted already, but from the DWP:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2010/nov-2010/dwp167-10-301110.shtml

So not only do existing claimants get a 9 month reprieve, but somehow the taxpayer will save money by bribing landlords to accept lower rents.

They've moved the 30th-percentile deadline from Oct 2011 to Apr 2011 and then added the 9-month adjustment period for "existing customers" - so the new rules come into effect 3 months later on the previous plans for existing HB claimants, and 6 months earlier for new claimants. Not really much of a softening of policy.

They've moved the 30th-percentile deadline from Oct 2011 to Apr 2011 and then added the 9-month adjustment period for "existing customers" - so the new rules come into effect 3 months later on the previous plans for existing HB claimants, and 6 months earlier for new claimants. Not really much of a softening of policy.

Errrm...what about the bit about making direct payments to landlords so that they reduce their rents? They mention an additional £50m, but there has been a substantial amount already allocated to manage the changes and this money could go direct to the landlords as bribes.

Errrm...what about the bit about making direct payments to landlords so that they reduce their rents? They mention an additional £50m, but there has been a substantial amount already allocated to manage the changes and this money could go direct to the landlords as bribes.

I think you're misreading it. I took it to mean that "direct payments" will be allowed - ie HB being paid direct to the landlord rather than the tenant - in return for lower rents. But not additional money to the landlords. The extra £50m is probably to pay councils for working out the 30th percentile regime, and tenants who need moving expenses. There's nothing in the press release to say it will go to landlords.

I think you're misreading it. I took it to mean that "direct payments" will be allowed - ie HB being paid direct to the landlord rather than the tenant - in return for lower rents. But not additional money to the landlords. The extra £50m is probably to pay councils for working out the 30th percentile regime, and tenants who need moving expenses. There's nothing in the press release to say it will go to landlords.

Ah. I guess you are right. Paranoia getting the best of me. Whew!

Of course there's nothing in the press release to say it won't get paid as bribes to landlords either. :(

nothing to say it won't get paid to memebers of HPC

The ConDems first few months have been terribly disappointing and ineffective except in renegings for which they must be given A++ and 10 out of 10. How many more pledges can they renege on.

Ah. I guess you are right. Paranoia getting the best of me. Whew!

I was getting paranoid that I might be the only paranoid one here - you've helped me a lot with this ;)

My fear on this one is that it would be like for homeless families in which the council not only stumps up the deposit but sometimes provides an "incentive" to landlords to take on these most undesirable of tenants.

I believe direct payments are already made for those in temporary accommodation and extending it to regular HB claimants gives them another leg up against the working renter.

The coalition must really be fragile if the slightest bleating causes backsliding on what was one of their few sensible housing policies. (Social rents and the New Homes Bonus being the non sensical ones)

BLAH BLAH BLAH. the markets will have enough of this p1ssing around and punish us with juicier rates, which will be passed to the BTLr and thats that. they can fack around as much as they can spinning the wheels until they get the knock, which should be before april 2011.

there is no other way out.

The coalition must really be fragile if the slightest bleating causes backsliding on what was one of their few sensible housing policies. (Social rents and the New Homes Bonus being the non sensical ones)

Nope............

It's all those MPs who are running their little [and not so little] BTL Empires.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-513363/Revealed-MPs-buy-let-scheme-funded-taxpayer.html