House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Candyman

So Let Me Get This Straight.....

The economy is on the brink...

Oil production has peaked ensuring petrol will get ever more expensive....

My future in the IT industry looks bleak as I'll either be outsourced or working for peanuts.....

Anyone got any GOOD news before I go to bed?

My future in the IT industry looks bleak as I'll either be outsourced or working for peanuts.....

Yes numbers of IT graduates are at an all time low so there's lots more work for us oldies.

Many companies now recognise that the complexity of communicating most projects over a distance often outweighs simplistic cost savings calculationsn based on labour rates.

Your P45 might not be in the post yet.

Yes numbers of IT graduates are at an all time low so there's lots more work for us oldies.

Many companies now recognise that the complexity of communicating most projects over a distance often outweighs simplistic cost savings calculationsn based on labour rates.

Your P45 might not be in the post yet.

That'll do for me fella!! ( Though a bit less of the 'oldies' if you don't mind!! )

*Candyman grabs straw and runs for the exit*

Anyone got any GOOD news before I go to bed?

You don't live in Baghdad or New Orleans. (I hope.)

I think outsourcing has been overplayed as a cost cutter, and the

pendulum may well swing back the other way soon.

Some problems just cannot be resolved over a remote link, and if there is

ever a terrorist attack on the comms infrastructure, then the wisdom

of having everything done 'cheaply' in Shanghai or Bangalore will

soon become apparent.

At least I hope so, otherwise my career is screwed too :(

ABB

have IT wages remained slightly inflated and are now undergoing a correction. All industries have good and bad times. My experience is that the dead wood is lost in a shake down. If you ride it out the wages will rise again.

I'm afraid all you IT dudes are well and trully screwed ..... :(

The latest "fashion" of saying "insourcing" is becoming the new outsourcing is just fabricated nonsense deliberatly inspired to keep the present IT workers from rioting in the streets ......

Unfortunately the cost differentials are soooooo wide that there is no way the UK can compete with the likes of China and India ...... and even if they can (in a few very specific sectors) the major IT firms are starting to hire in staff from overseas at a fraction of the cost .....

Then don't forget the "attitude" aspect ..... all these Indian/Chinese guys will happily work harder, faster, better and without any pay rise demands, union interference, moaning, groaning etc etc .....

America is the pioneer in this - every quarter there is overblown hype about IT coming back to the US ...... however more and more work keeps being shipped out or overseas staff being shipped in :(

I am off to re-train as a Mechanic !!

Guest muttley
The Blades are riding high in the Champions League.

Bart,you're getting a little bit carried away!

Sheff Utd are riding high in the Championship.

Real Madrid will have to wait.

The latest "fashion" of saying "insourcing" is becoming the new outsourcing is just fabricated nonsense deliberatly inspired to keep the present IT workers from rioting in the streets ......

Unfortunately the cost differentials are soooooo wide that there is no way the UK can compete with the likes of China and India ...... and even if they can (in a few very specific sectors) the major IT firms are starting to hire in staff from overseas at a fraction of the cost .....

Then don't forget the "attitude" aspect ..... all these Indian/Chinese guys will happily work harder, faster, better and without any pay rise demands, union interference, moaning, groaning etc etc .....

America is the pioneer in this - every quarter there is overblown hype about IT coming back to the US ...... however more and more work keeps being shipped out or overseas staff being shipped in :(

I am off to re-train as a Mechanic !!

there are certain things that cannot be feasibly outsourced without losing quality. Outsourcing options are usually assessed financially with regard to a quality / quantity trade-off.

It's no surprise that routine operations are outsourced to cheaper markets, and I don't think I have a great problem with that... good luck to those growth economies, and a lesson to be learned by our high-corporate tax-inward investment unfriendly govt over time.

However, it's not a death knell to IT, it just means we have to focus on higher value activities than call logging and datacentre ops.

There's a lot of life left in the local IT industry yet. Don't think the pace of change is slowing down. IT dudes still need to keep learning, and there's much yet to change and much to learn!

It won't all be done off shore. Just move up the value chain and make sure you're one of the guys talking face to face with customers. Business still needs face to face and you can't do that from India.

The commercial Internet's only 10 years old -- we've got mountains to climb before that revolution peters out.

Chin up! B)

what has barbara bach got to do with Pacers? :huh: Pls explain?

an' what are kp bones .... I think I have a vague recollection... were they salt'n'vinegar bone shaped biscuits in a crisp bag??

Edited by xian

what has barbara bach got to do with Pacers?  :huh:  Pls explain?

an' what are kp bones .... I think I have a vague recollection... were they salt'n'vinegar bone shaped biscuits in a crisp bag??

thats more than a vague recollection.....its spot on. though you didnt describe the goulish black pack design.

they were simply the bits that were cut out of other crisp manufacture process.

this is where all the eyes, mouths and ear lobes of the monster munch monsters went. nothing is wasted. even the corners of smiths square crisps are re-branded in the far east as smiths mini triangles.

and how do you think KP discos get so rounded ? these are normal crisps which are used as cutting tools for trimming the corners of the square ones. over time this gives them a perfect shape. they are then flavoured and packed.

There's a lot of life left in the local IT industry yet. Don't think the pace of change is slowing down. IT dudes still need to keep learning, and there's much yet to change and much to learn!

It won't all be done off shore. Just move up the value chain and make sure you're one of the guys talking face to face with customers. Business still needs face to face and you can't do that from India.

The commercial Internet's only 10 years old -- we've got mountains to climb before that revolution peters out.

Chin up!  B)

Sorry cannot agree - whilst I agree that change is guaranteed in IT AND there will always be something to do; there won't be enough of it paying a decently high wage to keep everyone happy.

Everyone needs to understand that it is not just the fact that our Indian/Chinese friends will work better for less that puts our participation at risk - the IT industry needs growth to sustain itself and that growth is not expected to come from Western ecomonies - the big players ALL look east these days. They see better demographics and long term growth from younger populations. As a consequence they are moving their resources in the same direction too - everything from sales, marketing and development will focus on these emerging economies... It is a really really big deal - look closely... local layoffs in Europe/US are always followed by job growth out East. There is a fundamental shift in resources within IT to the east and it is unstoppable for now.

There will be a decreasing number of IT jobs in the western world for many years to come. I think I'm lucky enough to have one of the customer facing/business+technlogy roles that are supposed to be so difficult to fill - but the downwards pressure means that I wonder if it is really worth fighting for - there is probably a better way of earning a living in the years to come.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Bart,you're getting a little bit carried away!

Sheff Utd are riding high in the Championship.

Real Madrid will have to wait.

Ahh, I knew it was either one or the other.

It's been a long day.