House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Uk Children Will Be 'bribed' To Walk To School...

Link

Under the scheme, which will be part of a public health white paper to be announced on Tuesday, children will receive Topshop vouchers and cinema tickets for travelling to school on foot.

Every school in the country will be offered access to technology which would allow children to use swipe cards to track their journeys, so that points can be swapped for consumer rewards.

Under a pilot scheme under way in Wimbledon, south London, teenage girls receive a £5 Topshop voucher if they walk to school eight times, and an Odeon cinema ticket for five journeys, in a certain period.

The controversial initiative is one of several schemes endorsed in a strategy which will urge councils and businesses to find more "creative" ways to improve the nation's health.

Ministers say their approach is a departure from Labour's "nanny state" tactics which attempted to lecture people into changing their ways.

Instead, attempts to improve Britain's health will be based on a "nudge" theory, devised by two US economists, who say incentives and peer pressure are the best ways to prompt people out of bad habits.

While in opposition David Cameron was so impressed with the 2008 bestseller Nudge, by Chigago Business School economist Richard Thaler and Chicago Law School professor Cass Sunstein – which suggests how to influence human behaviour – that he required all shadow cabinet members to read it during their summer holidays.

Since the Coalition was formed, the Cabinet Office has set up a "behavioural insight team" – dubbed "the Nudge team".

Health secretary Andrew Lansley said Tuesday's white paper would set out a "radical, comprehensive" plan to focus the NHS on tackling the causes of ill health.

Mr Lansley said most people wanted to live healthy lives, but were more likely to do so if they had the right information and incentives.

He said: "An important part of this is harnessing the latest insights into behavioural science ... nudging individuals in the right direction and encouraging positive choices".

The Government has said it wants to work with food and alcohol retailers to improve the nation's habits, rather than introduce laws to regulate their produce and marketing.

However, the white paper will say that if businesses fail to meet deadlines to make voluntary changes it will consider introducing regulations.

The pilot schemes which reward children for walking to school has been funded by local councils and transport providers who wanted to ease congestion on local buses.

Secondary schoolchildren were given a swipe card, which they touched on receivers along official walking routes.

Research on the Wimbledon project found that for every £1 invested, the transport authority saved £24, while police spent 48 per cent less time dealing with accidents around overcrowded bus stops.

Ministers will also urge companies to do more to look after the health of their employees.

Under a pilot scheme, private companies will be asked to make it easier for working mothers to breastfeed, by providing those returning to work with private areas to breastfeed or express milk, as well as flexible breaks and places to store milk.

Facilities will also be introduced in 300 children's centres across the country.

Lol.

Why not McDonalds or Dunkin'Donuts vouchers?

All those pounds lost while walking to school need to be regained somehow... :blink:

More seriously, walking to school should be the norm, in Switzerland even 3 year olds walk to the kindergarden on their own...

---

Perhaps they could offer banksters free cocaine and hookers in exchange for not going to work.

(I'm not sure how the Tories will ensure Philip Green gets footfall via this nexus of government and billionaire Monagasque residents, but I dare say they'll figure it out - Alternative headline - "Tories bribe school children to visit Topshop" - sorted)

Perhaps they could offer banksters free cocaine and hookers in exchange for not going to work.

Good idea, that would be far cheaper for the taxpayer than the bailouts... :)

Much as I want to see kids walk to school rather than get held up by Camilla dropping of her little darlings from a vehicle that is disproportionate in size to her confidence behind the wheel.......

I cant help but wonder if this incentive was recommended by Sir Philip Green

If looking down and seeing a disgusting pile of fat is not enough to motivate you to get fit and healthy - then nothing is.

Although I do have a bit of sympathy for kids who are fed piles of shit by their lazy fat parents. No wonder they often grow up similar.

My son has always walked to school. It appalls me that people drive their fat little sods to school.

WALK YOU LAZY BASTARDS

I did suggest some years ago at the primary school that they get "stars" for walking to school - like they do for good behaviour as this counts towards treats ... but it wasn't to be.

The head was scared about upseting the kids who didn't walk.

I find this really odd.

Why are taxpayers paying for children to walk to school? If they are that worried about children's health, just institute a compulsory PE class in the middle of the day.

My daughters class ( year 5) have just done weeks of double PE classes One featuring endurance training. They had her run 3 miles. BTW didn't do her any harm but most children gave up and some kids parents complained. Britain is now a country of pussies. Conquer the world , we can't even walk to the shops!

Britain is now a country of pussies. Conquer the world , we can't even walk to the shops!

Yep, the disaster about trains unable to move on snow, roads and motorways blocked is a prime example of this also.

The AA have just been on Sky basically saying how pathetic we have become - a decade of Labour health & safety, of the nanny state and a couple of generations of parents wrapping their kids in cotton wool.

There's an opportunity for an entrepeneurial student here. Collect 20 of your friends' swipe cards and, for £1 a go, you swipe them all at the swipe points along the journey for eight journeys. You're up £20 and a cinema ticket, all you mates get a cinema ticket for £1, and the school meets its fitness targets. Win-win!

Yep, the disaster about trains unable to move on snow, roads and motorways blocked is a prime example of this also.

The AA have just been on Sky basically saying how pathetic we have become - a decade of Labour health & safety, of the nanny state and a couple of generations of parents wrapping their kids in cotton wool.

Yep, its just been on the news that the councils are unable to get farmers in to help clear snow as the insurance is not in place.

Apparantly in the past rather than sitting about wingeing about roads/pavements being cleared by the council residents/shop owners would each be responsible for clearing the paths around their property. Now people can't seem to be bothered to do this (and almost would certainly get sued if some chancing git took a tumble on their freshly cleared paths).

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for Cameron's 'Big Society' but as no one speaks to their neighbours any more the chances of anyone noticing if their neighbours could do with a hand in this weather is limited. Particulary in tenement flats like where I live, people are coming and going all the time so I have no idea who my neighours are - though I am fairly sure none of them are particularly vunerable.

That's odd, because only recently they were scaring children into getting driven to school, with all the "stranger danger" stuff!

They really will have to decide, whether being a fat ******* is better than being some nonce's bum-pal or not! :huh:

To be fair to the population of North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire it's been some of the worst snow I've ever seen in my lifetime, which coming from a former Buxtonian is saying something.

It thigh-high out there, and it's forecast for a whole load more later tonight. I'm usually out and about calling them a bunch of big girls blouses, but there is no chance I'm going out in this unless it's life or death. OH didn't make it home last night, despite attempting four different routes, and the last time that happened was during the 2007 flooding.

To be fair to the population of North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire it's been some of the worst snow I've ever seen in my lifetime, which coming from a former Buxtonian is saying something.

It thigh-high out there, and it's forecast for a whole load more later tonight. I'm usually out and about calling them a bunch of big girls blouses, but there is no chance I'm going out in this unless it's life or death. OH didn't make it home last night, despite attempting four different routes, and the last time that happened was during the 2007 flooding.

Stop moaning. Everything is fine here in Luton. :P

..the 2008 bestseller Nudge, by Chigago Business School economist Richard Thaler..

Another Mad Fad imported from across the Atlantic.

It's the social engineering equivalent of electro shock treatment to wipe the social memory clean of common sense good and safe practice (I'm not saying that walking to school isn't a good idea when practical but they keep changing their minds all the time - just get used to one thing then it's all change again we're going to do the exact opposite).

The UK really does seem to have NO ideas of its own anymore - just follow along behind.

Soon they'll be sending over a bestseller describing their next system, probably "The One Minute Nudger".

And the Cabinet Office will set up a "behavioural insight team" dubbed "the One Minute Nudger Team".

While in opposition David Cameron was so impressed with the 2008 bestseller Nudge, by Chigago Business School economist Richard Thaler and Chicago Law School professor Cass Sunstein – which suggests how to influence human behaviour – that he required all shadow cabinet members to read it during their summer holidays

:lol: