House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Social Housing Have Your Say

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/pdf/1775586.pdf

The document asks a number of questions about the way these new powers are likely to be exercised and we are particularly keen to hear council and housing association tenants’ views. The date for submitting responses is Monday 17 January 2011. The email address for comments is housingreform@communities.gsi.gov.uk

The document asks a number of questions about the way these new powers are likely to be exercised and we are particularly keen to hear council and housing association tenants’ views. The date for submitting responses is Monday 17 January 2011. The email address for comments is housingreform@communities.gsi.gov.uk

Presumably they are not so keen to hear from those who have to pay for the social housing of others?

Perhaps housing associations will have more money to build as new tenants get higher rates of HB to pay the higher rent.

That will be the main effect, giving more money to the housing associations. The Affordable rents (80%) of 'market' rates won't be very appealing unless the government is paying it. If you are poor enough for social housing how are you supposed to be able to be afford social housing. In London that would mean £800 per month for a single bed apartment - how is that social housing?

Presumably they are not so keen to hear from those who have to pay for the social housing of others?

Soon your pain will be over as our rents are going up by around 6 or 7% per year over the next 4 or 5 years. The problem with this is that more and more tenants will move onto HB, up from 70% at present.....oh dear, increasing rent means more money coming out of taxpayers pockets....

In my case I should be able to make a quick exit through the RTB, I'm sure this is what they have in mind.

Soon your pain will be over as our rents are going up by around 6 or 7% per year over the next 4 or 5 years. The problem with this is that more and more tenants will move onto HB, up from 70% at present.....oh dear, increasing rent means more money coming out of taxpayers pockets....

In my case I should be able to make a quick exit through the RTB, I'm sure this is what they have in mind.

Yes, RTB, a daft policy if ever there was one. Just another way for people to game the system.

When council rents are the same as private rents for equivalent property, is there any need for an expensive council to administer housing, other than to process HB claims? After all, those homes could be in the private sector.

I for one cant see any need at all, let them all be auctioned off to the highest bidder, not RTB.

I have no doubt that councils will raise the rents, they have to as it seem to me that the main axe for spending cuts fell on councils. They have obligations to meet, and one of the few areas that they can get the money back is by raising rents, which comes out of central government coffers, mitigating the reduced expenditure effect of the Lib-Dems axe.

Still, if council house pricing moves to equity with the private market, that will be one good thing to have come out of it all.

I'm with you on this one.

Social housing has been a great way to help me save and i also have RTB

Just for the record - most social housing tenants i know, work and have a good work ethic. Most are not poor or scum or chavs

up until about 30 years ago, most Brits lived in social housing

Can we please stop this social housing chav - benefit recipient bashing - Go Bash the bankers they are a far worse class of parasites

Yes, RTB, a daft policy if ever there was one. Just another way for people to game the system.

When council rents are the same as private rents for equivalent property, is there any need for an expensive council to administer housing, other than to process HB claims? After all, those homes could be in the private sector.

Hardly. The RTB discount is a maximum of 18K, so in London its about 5-10%. Most of the property is older and its actually cheaper for HA's to build new apartments with the money from selling older property. Peabody is selling their houses in auction and building new. The properties I saw sold to 'the highest bidder' went for far less (-30%) that other identical property nearby.

Edited by Peter Hun

Social Housing gives security of tenure - there is nothing worse than having a young family and having no security of tenure. Social Housing also means the landlord does not come knocking every few months to inspect the property - situations like that make you feel your in a Butlins caravan on holiday rather than your home.

There is nothing wrong with social housing, my HA house is large, comfortable and i keep the gardens in perfection, i help to keep my street looking nice and clean, most of my neighbors brought there HA homes and the street is quit clean and friendly.

We need more social housing not less

I for one cant see any need at all, let them all be auctioned off to the highest bidder, not RTB.

I have no doubt that councils will raise the rents, they have to as it seem to me that the main axe for spending cuts fell on councils. They have obligations to meet, and one of the few areas that they can get the money back is by raising rents, which comes out of central government coffers, mitigating the reduced expenditure effect of the Lib-Dems axe.

Still, if council house pricing moves to equity with the private market, that will be one good thing to have come out of it all.

Interestingly enough some councils have managed to increase their housing department staff after transfering their housing stock off to a Housing Association! Got to keep those housing proffesionals in work!

Also, council house rents are set by Central Government on a 'up to a maximum of' basis. Councils are not allowed to set there own rents. This of course makes no sense in context of increasing housing benefit payments.

I just wonder what kind of people you expect would buy ex-council houses?

That will be the main effect, giving more money to the housing associations. The Affordable rents (80%) of 'market' rates won't be very appealing unless the government is paying it. If you are poor enough for social housing how are you supposed to be able to be afford social housing. In London that would mean £800 per month for a single bed apartment - how is that social housing?

Exactley

This was another ill thought out quickly put together policy from a group of people who have not got a clue how the average person lives.

The 80% of market rate will do very little to help the country in its dire situation . However it will hit a few people who are earning enough money to pay into the system but not enough put a roof over their heads , the people I class as working poor ( many of them would no dought be better off on benefits and not have to worrie about the rent ) they are on the fringes of an average life style.

It just seems like spite .

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Social housing should be scrapped immediately because unlike council estates a lot of modern "social housing" is scattered among private areas. A better solution is the classic "ghetto" style as used a lot in the US and also here in previous times with the infamous "council estate" on the edge of town.