House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

60,000 Council Works Lose Jobs

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101201/tuk-council-job-losses-top-60000-dba1618.html

Council job losses top 60,000
1 hour 24 mins ago
The GMB union, which has been tracking local authority cutbacks in recent weeks, said parts of the country were witnessing the "wholesale dismantling" of public services.
The latest councils to announce job cuts included Birmingham (almost 2,500 jobs), Coventry (1,000), Buckinghamshire (500), Tower Hamlets in London (500) and Hounslow in London (400), said the union.

Given that these are among the highest paid jobs it will impact house prices eventually.

It looks like the trigger may be forming: mass unemployment.

Edited by Realistbear

Not seeing any sign of this in my part of the World.

Are these real actul jobs that are going today, this week, by next April or just claims of jobs going?

I keep seeing claims of a 1,000 here, 3,000 there but then nothing happens.

I can only assume the people being fired are not complaining due to the pay-offs they rae receiving. If these numbers were going you would expect some protests?

Are these real actul jobs that are going today, this week, by next April or just claims of jobs going?

I can only assume the people being fired are not complaining due to the pay-offs they rae receiving. If these numbers were going you would expect some protests?

Critical mass not yet reached. 60,000 jobs is nothing and they reckon that among that many people only about 10,000 mortgages will go unpaid.

Wait until the tally is 250k and THEN you will start to see some panic as they try to unload their houses before the repo man comes a-knocking.

Yes, bit of a phoney war on jobs since the election. Lots of talks of numbers being cut, but nothing I have noticed.

I guess that Union quoted those figures to scare a few more people into the union.

Critical mass not yet reached. 60,000 jobs is nothing and they reckon that among that many people only about 10,000 mortgages will go unpaid.

Wait until the tally is 250k and THEN you will start to see some panic as they try to unload their houses before the repo man comes a-knocking.

SMI?

It seems that when "1000 jobs cuts" are announced, that's probably 1000 jobs over the next 4 years after encouraging people to take early retirement etc.. so it's imperceptible.

It seems that when "1000 jobs cuts" are announced, that's probably 1000 jobs over the next 4 years after encouraging people to take early retirement etc.. so it's imperceptible.

Same with the police , they say thousands of jobs will go but they mean positions not people getting their P45.

plus letting all the contract/temporary staff go.

No rights, no right to complain.