House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Thomas " Tom" Cook Shed 500 Jobs

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Thomas-Cook-plans-500-job-tele-1673485776.html?x=0

Thomas Cook plans 500 job cuts after UK sales drop

Amy Wilson, 10:30, Wednesday 1 December 2010
Thomas Cook, the package holiday company, plans to cut 500 jobs to reduce costs by between £40m and £50m, because of the "uncertain" outlook for UK bookings this year.
The tour operator said the job cuts would be made in management and support services positions in the UK. The company will also upgrade its computer systems and renengotiate contracts with suppliers to bring down costs.

No sign of anyone giving up holidays that I have seen. Austerity is for the rest of Europe--not us! :D

I don't think the holiday market is doing very well, I was having an idle look this week and you can get a week in Spain, flights and accommodation in January or February for £95.

I looked at a favourite hotel in Canaries for February, and Thomas Cook are the most pricey, by several hundred pounds.

I could go to a lesser hotel for Much less...this particular one seems to be very busy still, but it is very good, although full of Germans.

Odd, but you rarely see any French people in any of these places.

French people all seem to go to the south of France on holiday, and they also all seem to go at the same time, they queue up for 50 miles at the peages when this happens.

French people all seem to go to the south of France on holiday, and they also all seem to go at the same time, they queue up for 50 miles at the peages when this happens.

how true...we always venture down there during the weekdays..

how true...we always venture down there during the weekdays..

That's because most holiday rentals in France are booked from Saturday midday until the following Saturday. Arriving on the Monday means you've paid for 2 days for nothing.

Hundreds more jobs to go at Barcap, how sad: :(

On Wednesday 1 December 2010, 10:25
LONDON (
Reuters
) - The investment bank arm of British lender Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) is set to cut hundreds of jobs after several months of slow capital markets activity.