House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Citroën Berlingo - Speedo Failed Car Keeps Cutting Out

We've got Citroën Berlingo and the speedo has gone in the car and it keeps cutting out when you are slowing down whilst driving when you are slowing down coming up to lights etc...

So far we've tried two garages and they've not been able to fix it, both have said we need a special key to remove the glass on the dash where the speedo is and then they might be able to fix it. The key apparently costs £60 and they say we need to take it to a dealer garage as they'll be able to remove it.

Is this going to be a nice rip off job because only the dealers can fix this issue?

Any mechanics out there with any advice?

We've got Citroën Berlingo and the speedo has gone in the car and it keeps cutting out when you are slowing down whilst driving when you are slowing down coming up to lights etc...

So far we've tried two garages and they've not been able to fix it, both have said we need a special key to remove the glass on the dash where the speedo is and then they might be able to fix it. The key apparently costs £60 and they say we need to take it to a dealer garage as they'll be able to remove it.

Is this going to be a nice rip off job because only the dealers can fix this issue?

No idea but I would not at all be surprised if it was another p1ss-take by dealers.

However.....car manufacturers don't like to tell you certain things. One of those things relates to their service and parts manuals. Aparrantly, EU law says that manufacturers cannot rely on copyright laws to prevent the distribution of these publications as long as they are only being distributed for the purposes of maintaining their vehicles. I bought a Mercedes parts cataloge CD foff Ebay from a chap in Italy. His account was suspended by Ebay a coulple of months later upon suspicion of copyright infringment. A few months after this it was reinstated after it was acceptd that he was doing nothing illegal.

You can reproduce and sell a manufacturers parts cataloge for these purposes and there is sod all they can do to stop you. On the same train of thought, I wonder if this also applies to the special tools that manufacturers design in an obvious attempt to stop people being able to work on their vehicles?

Have you had a new clutch or other major parts fitted recently?

I'm assuming it's a diesel as the cutting out problem is very, very common, exactly as you describe, on the newer common rail diesels.

Can be hopefully:

Clogged/faulty EGR valve

Faulty Mass Air Flow Meter

Faulty low pressure fuel lift pump in tank

A multitude of sensors feeding the ECU faulty data - that's why I ask if anything's been done as they often don't get put back or get dislodged dirt on them.

Hopefully not:

High pressure fuel pump - pricey - if it this there should be metal filings in the filter from it grinding itself to pieces

Injectors - pricey

The main dealer, whose mechanics barely warrant that title these days, will probably replace the entire fuel delivery system from tank to injectors at huge cost and there'll be no guarantee they cure it.

Cutting out - did either of the garages stick a diagnostic code reader on the car?

Also did the did the engine ever cut out before the speedo failed? If not duff speedo sensor -> bad speed data to ECU -> ECU cocks up engine control ?

This wont be of any help - bit it is somewhat related. Just got me thinking about the big van I had a few years ago in Canada. Same thing was happening. Turned out it was the carburetor. Managed to work out how to remove the central section within the car to get into the engine. Then found the butterly carb sort fo thing. Got basic instructions of someone. Sprayed carb cleaner down it whils using an old toothbrush to give it a good clean. Worked a treat. Never been even remotely like a mechanic in my life - yet I managed to fix this.

With modern cars like you have yourself ? No chance. You need some laptop with special software to plug in to tell you what is wrong.

I am all for progress but I think cars are getting a bit too smart for their own good. Probably on purpose to keep up the repair bills if I was being a cynic - as other have said.

On a related note even my 1985 Chevy Van apparently had 2 'computers' in it ?! I was a bit shocked by that.

Anyway...told you this wouldn't be of any help. Apologies. :)

I had a similar thing with a citroen. It was bloody dangerous, because would also cut-out when I slowed for sharp bends erc. Once nearly had a car smash into my rear.

The garages were useless, and claimed there was no fault.

It turned out to be rain water in the fuel tank. It's a common problem with citroens. The water sits below the fuel, but when you brake, particularly when also turning, some water gets drawn into the fuel line.

I would get the tank emptied and cleaned - but this is not cheap with modern sealed tanks.

Have you had a new clutch or other major parts fitted recently?

I'm assuming it's a diesel as the cutting out problem is very, very common, exactly as you describe, on the newer common rail diesels.

Can be hopefully:

Clogged/faulty EGR valve

Faulty Mass Air Flow Meter

Faulty low pressure fuel lift pump in tank

A multitude of sensors feeding the ECU faulty data - that's why I ask if anything's been done as they often don't get put back or get dislodged dirt on them.

Hopefully not:

High pressure fuel pump - pricey - if it this there should be metal filings in the filter from it grinding itself to pieces

Injectors - pricey

The main dealer, whose mechanics barely warrant that title these days, will probably replace the entire fuel delivery system from tank to injectors at huge cost and there'll be no guarantee they cure it.

No new parts fitted, it's the 2nd time it happened. The previous garage that fixed it said if it went again it should go to the dealer as it was difficult to fix.

I've had a google and found a similar problem with the C5 apparently that required a new dash to be fitted, so it's not going to be a cheap job.

No new parts fitted, it's the 2nd time it happened. The previous garage that fixed it said if it went again it should go to the dealer as it was difficult to fix.

I've had a google and found a similar problem with the C5 apparently that required a new dash to be fitted, so it's not going to be a cheap job.

The two things might be unconnected.We had a Berlingo that had instrument failure and it turned out to be the electrical contacts in the binnacle.We certainly didnt need a key to remove the dash.Your best bet there is to buy a whole instrument cluster from a breaker, we paid £40 for one.

Could be the speed sensor, possibly fitted to the gearbox or via the ABS?

Bang on that man!

Had a 2 litre auto mondeo with intermittent fault which Ford garage electronic readers couldn't find, wasn't showing in onboard computer readout faults either - swapped out that sensor & it was fixed!

It could even have the wires dislodged by road debris/hitting mud/snow on farm tracks etc

This may be stating the bleeding obvious - but how old is it and are any of the manufacturers warranties still valid ?

Remember also the consumer something act of some year or other !! Cant remember the details but people use it when getting TV's repaired etc.. I don't see why it could not be used for cars too.

I think the jist of it is that if you pay x for something it should be expected to work for a 'reasonable' length of time. So if your TV has a warranty of only one year but blows up after 2 years - you should still legally get a replacement.

No idea if it is the same for cars. Don't see why though. I am sure someone else can fill you in on the details of the act I am talking about.