House Price Crash Forum
blankster

Each Day That Goes By, The Next Election Gets A Month Closer.

I cannot see how the Lib Dems can go on propping up the Tories in power without seeing their own party wither away to nothing.

Vince Cable has fired a dissident shot at the coalition by saying he might not vote for his own proposals re tuition fees, which themselves made a mockery of the Lib Dems manifesto commitments. If that's the case, then I guess there's a lot of anger within the party (the party I've always voted for up until now - but if there were an election tomorrow I'd vote Labour).

Edited by blankster

I cannot see how the Lib Dems can go on propping up the Tories in power without seeing their own party wither away to nothing.

Vince Cable has fired a dissident shot at the coalition by saying he might not vote for his own proposals re tuition fees, which themselves made a mockery of the Lib Dems manifesto commitments. If that's the case, then I guess there's a lot of anger within the party (the party I've always voted for up until now - but if there were an election tomorrow I'd vote Labour).

Personaly I'm tired of all the publicity the student protests are generating. It seems to me that direct action does work in order to get your grievance maximum awareness. The Facebook generation have learned a lot from their Internet organised parties and flashmobs. A similar Internet campaign leading to a real protest needs to be organised around a major bank to get that story as the lead item.

Out of interest, what is it you were expecting from the Lib-dems that they haven't delivered?

The U-turn on a graduate tax? Trident? the fact we don't have proportional representation yet?

Give the guys a chance.. they've only had a finger on the helm for a couple of months!

Edited by libspero

Only tools would cast such a vote for a Party that enabled a half wit to gain power, and did NOTHING about it.

We're still waiting for an apology for Gordon Brown from them as well.

If Labour won a soonish election it would be the harbinger of an unspeakable financial catastrophe for Britain. As above, give them a term at least ffs.

Please Please Please not labour again , the lib/cons are sh-t but LABOUR !!!!

I'd vote Labour! Money taps back on to warp speed please, not just this 3/4 warp speed 'cuts' nonsense.

The sooner we drive our economy and our currency into the dirt and get back onto some form of gold standard and fiscal responsibility, the quicker we can start rebuilding our nation, rather than dragging the pain out. Plus the sooner I can retire.

GO LABOUR!!! :ph34r:

Out of interest, what is it you were expecting from the Lib-dems that they haven't delivered?

The U-turn on a graduate tax? Trident? the fact we don't have proportional representation yet?

Give the guys a chance.. they've only had a finger on the helm for a couple of months!

Agreed, The OP makes no sense. I could write war and peace as to why but I can't really be bothered. I will say that the Lib Dems did not win an election, far from it. They can not implement their manifesto but they can influence the Tory majority. This is a compromise coalition. We have just got shot of the worst party Britain has ever seen. The shit we face is all Labours doing, our standing in the international community is in the gutter, the economy speaks for itself, Iraq, Immigration etc etc etc.....

A few months break and the OP wants them back :blink:

The only people I could invisage voting for Labour today are the ones who have voted Labour at every election through some idiotic notion of loyalty.

Like I said the OP makes no sense unless the OP has always voted labour and just wants to start another coalition bashing thread.

Please Please Please not labour again , the lib/cons are sh-t but LABOUR !!!!

That's pretty much my feelings. Conservatives are awul but the odd good idea, Lib Dems are awful but the odd good idea, but Labour are just plain awful.

I can only assume that the OP is in reciept of 100K a year housing benefit. There is no other sane reason.

No, I own my own house outright actually. I worked hard and paid off my mortgage!

HPC's neo-fascist 'might-is-right' tendency on this site loves to show show contempt for anyone who doesn't have the same right-wing views as themselves. But being a leftist is just as valid a viewpoint as being a rightist. Any sane person would agree that Gordon Brown's period of government was a disaster, but the main cause of the disaster was the bankers, and they're hardly part of a left-wing conspiracy, are they? :lol:

Brown's mistake was to fail to see the problem until it was too late, misjudge what to do and land the country in a bigger mess as a

result.

The shit we face is all Labours doing,
I think the banks had a part to play in it actually. Or is someone going to say they didn't? Edited by blankster

This is a compromise coalition
Agreed. The Tories say what they want and the Lib Dems compromise. I accept they are the third party, and so are a junior partner in the coalition. They can't expect to be the tail wagging the dog, but they have to gain something from it in policy terms and I haven't seen anything yet. I think the time has come for them to question whether they should remain in the coalition. Edited by blankster

Only tools would cast such a vote for a Party that enabled a half wit to gain power, and did NOTHING about it.

The Tories came close, though - they chose Michael Howard as leader for a while! :lol:

Edited by blankster

No, I own my own house outright actually. I worked hard and paid off my mortgage!

HPC's neo-fascist 'might-is-right' tendency on this site loves to show show contempt for anyone who doesn't have the same right-wing views as themselves. But being a leftist is just as valid a viewpoint as being a rightist. Any sane person would agree that Gordon Brown's period of government was a disaster, but the main cause of the disaster was the bankers, and they're hardly part of a left-wing conspiracy, are they? :lol:

Brown's mistake was to fail to see the problem until it was too late, misjudge what to do and land the country in a bigger mess as a

result.

I think the banks had a part to play in it actually. Or is someone going to say they didn't?

My view is that you are missing the critical point.

The bankers failed. Labour had the chance to force them to bear the cost of their failure. King was actually pretty vocal about moral hazard at the time but was shut down very quickly by Brown and Darling.

Instead of being rational, Labour forced society as whole to bear the costs of the bankers' failure. The government in Ireland appear to be on the brink of making the same mistake.

I am frankly geting pretty bored by the whole "bankers got away with it" theme. It was Labour who refused to admit that their neo-con policies didn't work and forced society to bear the costs of their policy failures in a vainglorious attempt to save face.

Agreed. The Tories say what they want and the Lib Dems compromise. I accept they are the third party, and so are a junior partner in the coalition. They can't expect to be the tail wagging the dog, but they have to gain something from it in policy terms and I haven't seen anything yet. I think the time has come for them to question whether they should remain in the coalition.

Clegg has got what he wants Cameron's support for a big job in the EU before the next election.

It is not Left, Right or Middle, it IS about a Party that lets Captain Knobber play without ever seeing his reflection. For that reason alone, they have no credability and will never have my vote.

The bankers failed. Labour had the chance to force them to bear the cost of their failure. King was actually pretty vocal about moral hazard at the time but was shut down very quickly by Brown and Darling.
But I agree with that - I said the Brown era was a disaster, but Cameron is continuing the disaster by making us pay for Labour's mistake. OK, maybe there's no choice, there's no money available. But The Tories are in power now, they are the ones making the cuts, punishing future university students for Gordon stupidity.

If Labour was in power now, with Brown as leader, they'd probably be making savage cuts too, but they're not in power and someone else has the axe.

But Brown is gone from national politics now, Labour is licking its wounds and the Tories and Lib Dems are having a go at messing up.

Edited by blankster

result.

I think the banks had a part to play in it actually. Or is someone going to say they didn't?

Wrong the main cause of the problem was Browns master plan 13 years ago to remove banking supervision from the BoE to the FSA. Then fill the FSA with his stooges and support his goal of getting poor people into housing they should never be able to afford with 125% mortgages.

Brown is soley responsible for the mess we are in because it was his master plan for the tripartate regulation of the banking industry where nobody actually had the final decision. Then he compounded it every year by praising the bankers at the Mansion House speech for being super great innovative guys and praising them.

Personally I don't think they're doing too bad a job considering what they inherited.

(Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather chop off my hands than vote for any of the big-ish three)

As for the students Boo-hoo...Maybe if they have to pay a little when they're earning they might decide that doing media studies or 'combined' studies isn't really going to do the country an awful lot of good.

I'll show my age here, but I remember when you had to be clever to go to university. :P

Any sane person would agree that Gordon Brown's period of government was a disaster, but the main cause of the disaster was the bankers, and they're hardly part of a left-wing conspiracy, are they?

God help us.

The "bankers" caused Brown to go on a reckless spending spree up until 2007 at which point the credit bubble he'd supervised for the previous 10 years collapsed meaning were borrowing £1 in every £4 we spend.

Right. :rolleyes:

Basically you've swallowed Brown's anti banker propaganda whole and don't ever realise it.

Edited by Goat

Brown is soley responsible for the mess we are in because it was his master plan for the tripartate regulation of the banking industry where nobody actually had the final decision.
He's not solely responsible then, because for most of the period in question Tony Blair was PM and could have sacked Brown if he thought he was doing things wrong. :lol:

Saying Brown is solely responsible is a bit like saying Margaret Thatcher was solely responsible for the destruction of Britain's industrial manufacturing base, or that Red Robbo was solely responsible for the downfall of British Leyland.

Basically you've swallowed Brown's anti banker propaganda whole and don't ever realise it.
Brown only turned 'anti-banker' when he realised what a mess they'd got into. I don't remember New Labour being anti-banks. Edited by blankster