House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Bear

Bt Broadband Dropping

Im up in NE Scotland and i had this problem about a month ago. You should call the helpline, i have found them to be very good at dianosing problems like this.

I'm in the wilds of Ilford. Did call the helpline today and they say that they are going to run a 24 hour test.

It's installed about 4 years now and apart from two outages it has been pretty faultless. Started dropping about 10 days ago and has been doing so intermittently since. Changed the filter and checked the wiring. Disconnection the phone from the VOIP phone port and the phone line. I can hear the relay for the BBTalk VOIP phone clicking out and in though whether that is a symptom or a cause I've no idea. I would expect it to open and close as the IP network shuts down and restarts. When there is no net connection I can still see the router, BT Voyager 220V from the browser, I can ping it and telnet to it so it seems OK on the non ADSL side. I've heard that the Voyager can be pretty unreliable so am tempted to just go out and buy another router but the fact that I can see this one, just not get through it and the fact that it has worked OK for several years makes me wonder. I subscribe to the view that if an electronic device works for the first week it will probably still be working when it is obsolescent.

might be upgrading your local exchange ... I had the same problem intermittently for about 3 months before my local upgrade ..... I've gone from 3.5/~4 mb to 11mbs .... nice

might be upgrading your local exchange ... I had the same problem intermittently for about 3 months before my local upgrade ..... I've gone from 3.5/~4 mb to 11mbs .... nice

Thats another thing that crossed my mind as they are supposed to be upgrading it.

well..................... its been rock solid since ...and wow ..what a difference in speed ........ nice when there's been no extra charge ......but I've been supposedly paying for 8mbs for years ..... got to luv the "up to"

its now "up to 24mbs " , so I'm still getting less than half ...but ...what the hell ... its half full ..innit !