House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Life Found Somewhere In The Stars?

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/nov/HQ_M10-167_Astrobiology.html

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

My bet is on something like the lowest mass yet exoplanet discovered around a main sequence star, possibly in the Golidlocks zone, or possibly a hint of a suggestion of water vapour in the atmosphere of one already discovered.

if you analyse the upper atmosphere of Earth, the striking thing is it is considerably OUT of equilibrium with the rocks that form the planet, made so by the presence of life

this is in stark contrast to the atmospheres of other planets in our solar system

therefore, IF it was possible to resolve the light frequencies passing thru the atmosphere of an earth-like planet in another solar system, from some kind of chromatic light analysis in order to derive the gas make-up of the said distant planet, I would think they are trying to establish the existence of life on these other earth-like planets, going off the consituents of their atmosphere

I seem to remember some months back a suitable candidate for such a planet (basically in the goldilocks 'just right' zone of a distant solar system to allow liquid water etc) was being examined along these lines

Either that or they can only conclude that Gordon Brown is an alien. Which would cause less of a shock.

if you analyse the upper atmosphere of Earth, the striking thing is it is considerably OUT of equilibrium with the rocks that form the planet, made so by the presence of life

this is in stark contrast to the atmospheres of other planets in our solar system

therefore, IF it was possible to resolve the light frequencies passing thru the atmosphere of an earth-like planet in another solar system, from some kind of chromatic light analysis in order to derive the gas make-up of the said distant planet, I would think they are trying to establish the existence of life on these other earth-like planets, going off the consituents of their atmosphere

I seem to remember some months back a suitable candidate for such a planet (basically in the goldilocks 'just right' zone of a distant solar system to allow liquid water etc) was being examined along these lines

Either that or they can only conclude that Gordon Brown is an alien. Which would cause less of a shock.

That's pretty much it, although so far every planet discovered is much larger than Earth anyway, which makes it rather harder to think up ways of life being there. I think that there was a candidate for a "super Earth", i.e. much larger but still possibly not a gas planet, but I can't remember how hot it was.

The key to detecting an odd atmosphere is the amount of oxygen in it. Water would still be plentiful on Earth even if it was lifeless.

I have it on good authority that the announcement will be that we have made contact with another life-form, not too dissimilar to the human race.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that they've ran into a few financial problems recently and are coming in search of funds for a bail-out.......

I love the way that by putting astro in front of it they can make biology sound interesting. Anyone for some astro tea or some astro sex? Perhaps astro tea after the astro sex?

I suspect it is something to do with that muddly puddle that the Mars Rover created by accident after getting stuck in a damp patch. It would be fitting if alien life on Mars was discovered by accident.

Btw, if it was important - i.e. life discovered in Martian soil or Titan frozen water, etc - then this would be coming from the White House with Obama making the annoucement... and milking his place in history...

Hope it is not a message from the Borg.

I have it on good authority that the announcement will be that we have made contact with another life-form, not too dissimilar to the human race.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that they've ran into a few financial problems recently and are coming in search of funds for a bail-out.......

:lol::lol::lol:

+1

Sounds like it is time for our lizard overlords to step out of the shadows.

Anyone for some astro tea or some astro sex?

Only if you buy me some Astro flowers and Astro chocolates first.

I suspect it is something to do with that muddly puddle that the Mars Rover created by accident after getting stuck in a damp patch....

Are you saying Rover had a wee? On a Mars lamp post maybe?

Life Found Somewhere In The Stars? Will aliens force up house prices?

Their first utterance will be, "Take me to your lender". :D

Nicely said! ;)

Blue planet bubble looms! :blink:

they reassured us 'it's contained', yet it has spread from a few crummy mortgages to a string of sovereign defaults

are you saying it could go pan-galactic?

protect yourselves...

Stupid Yanks, making this announcement when Emmerdale's on. It could be the most mindblowing revelation in human history and nobody will be watching.

That's pretty much it, although so far every planet discovered is much larger than Earth anyway, which makes it rather harder to think up ways of life being there. I think that there was a candidate for a "super Earth", i.e. much larger but still possibly not a gas planet, but I can't remember how hot it was.

The key to detecting an odd atmosphere is the amount of oxygen in it. Water would still be plentiful on Earth even if it was lifeless.

I haven't  been keeping up to date with pop science but I thought these extra-solar planets' existence was inferred / calculated from observed "wobbles" in the stars they orbit. Surely there isn't any scope for analysis of atmospheres from such slim pickings?

(I'd love to be wrong on this).

Haven't some asteroid samples made it back recently? Perhaps they've discovered microbes in deep space.

As far as I know, NASA collected samples from a comet in their Stardust mission, and the Japanese Space Agency collected asteroid samples in their HAYABUSA mission.

I haven't  been keeping up to date with pop science but I thought these extra-solar planets' existence was inferred / calculated from observed "wobbles" in the stars they orbit. Surely there isn't any scope for analysis of atmospheres from such slim pickings?

(I'd love to be wrong on this).

Almost all of them, yes. A few have been discovered by transits of their star, dimming the star very slightly (which means they're almost inevitably going to be very close to it and hence very hot). With those there's scope for seeing if there's any difference in the spectrum between when the planet is transiting and when it isn't. This is obviously very difficult to do, the differences being tiny.

Warning - sexy female aliens are visiting this planet and kidnapping guys with big cocks

Obviously, you lot are quite safe but I gotta say the inside of the space ship is AMAZING* !

Buckers

* and it has decent internet

They can't be very intelligent as a race. Surely they'd only have to shake their rack at these guys and ask them to come on board the vessel for a night of debauchery????? :D

Who could resist? No need for mega-death rays or carpet bombing of the planet's capital buildings. Hollywood got it oh-so wrong !

They can't be very intelligent as a race. Surely they'd only have to shake their rack at these guys and ask them to come on board the vessel for a night of debauchery????? :D

Who could resist? No need for mega-death rays or carpet bombing of the planet's capital buildings. Hollywood got it oh-so wrong !

No _need_ per se, but hey, it's gotta be fun, right?