House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Slough Parking Ticket.... 5Mins Observation No Longer The Rule?

I got a ticket slapped on my work van (bad week, don't ask) today for being parked outside the bay boundaries. In Hillngdon the rule was always at least 5 mins observation time before issuing, to give people a fair chance to move off. But this ticket has an observation time of ..... 1 minute.

I'm aware if you park on a chevron that's an instant ticket, as is parking on the pavement. But parking outside a bay line?

Anyone know the rules?

I got a ticket slapped on my work van (bad week, don't ask) today for being parked outside the bay boundaries. In Hillngdon the rule was always at least 5 mins observation time before issuing, to give people a fair chance to move off. But this ticket has an observation time of ..... 1 minute.

I'm aware if you park on a chevron that's an instant ticket, as is parking on the pavement. But parking outside a bay line?

Anyone know the rules?

There was an article in the sunday times by paul flintoff on this - he went walkies with wardens in London (not sure where). He also spent some time in a CCTV control room where the cameras have clocks and can take pics of the timer/clock. The guy with his little joystick spotted a car badly parked on his bank of screens, and watched it for 2 mins exactly and then ping! One ticket issued against the registered owner. No need for a warden at the side of the car looking at his watch for all and sundry to see - stealth tickets will be the norm.

Anyone know the rules?

I think that the time thing only comes in in relation to double yellow lines, not bays. Double yellows do not actually mean "no parking" they mean "no waiting". Observing the vehicle for a given length of time provides proof that it was "waiting". At least that's how I recall it to be - willing to be corrected.

If you are outside a bay then you have not parked in conjunction with the rules so will get a ticket. I can see th point here as you may be obstructing a bay preventing someone else using it.

I think that the time thing only comes in in relation to double yellow lines, not bays. Double yellows do not actually mean "no parking" they mean "no waiting". Observing the vehicle for a given length of time provides proof that it was "waiting". At least that's how I recall it to be - willing to be corrected.

If you are outside a bay then you have not parked in conjunction with the rules so will get a ticket. I can see th point here as you may be obstructing a bay preventing someone else using it.

That sounds very plausible, thanks. I knew I was rule breaking anyway, so I'll pay up.

Cough up! that deficit's not going to sort itself is it?

Yeah, exactly :lol:

That sounds very plausible, thanks. I knew I was rule breaking anyway, so I'll pay up.

Did you know at the outset? If there was snow on the ground when you parked then perhaps not?

Did you know at the outset? If there was snow on the ground when you parked then perhaps not?

I think their photos will prove I knew ;)

Can we have your traffic wardens?

I want my pavement back! It's rarely possible to walk for one minute without being forced out into the road by illegally parked cars. Today one of them mounted it right in front of me as I was walking, forcing me to veer round it.

For my part I'd turn a blind eye to a minor technical offence if it doesn't inconvenience anyone. But these pavements are another story.

Can we have your traffic wardens?

I want my pavement back! It's rarely possible to walk for one minute without being forced out into the road by illegally parked cars. Today one of them mounted it right in front of me as I was walking, forcing me to veer round it.

For my part I'd turn a blind eye to a minor technical offence if it doesn't inconvenience anyone. But these pavements are another story.

Pavement parking can only be enforced in designated areas. I think in most roads it's actually allowed. There's nothing stopping you calling your local wardens. They'll send someone over if they can enforce.

Pavement parking can only be enforced in designated areas. I think in most roads it's actually allowed. There's nothing stopping you calling your local wardens. They'll send someone over if they can enforce.

Pavement parking is one of the things I really don't like. My other half does it all the time. I do accept though that there are times when it's unavoidable. Our street would be impassable if people on both sides parked entirely on the road. Strictly enforcing the rules in these situations would be counter productive.