House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
James Barrow

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

My wife and I were good tenants for 3 years. Our (accidental) landlord lives in Australia and was extremely slow to fix problems including a broken boiler last winter but we put up with it because we liked the flat.

The bathroom was single glazed, extremely cold, and did not have an extractor fan.... so the paint started to flake. We did not mention this to the landlord because it was not a big deal and he was always slow to respond.

We checked out of the flat with no problems. The check-out report specified that some professional cleaning would be required but only a few hours plus a few other small items. The report specified that the bathroom walls showed "flaked paint and some mildew as a consequence of poor ventilation" that was a "landlord maintenance issue". The landlord completely ignored the report and requested over £1,000 from our deposit. We tried to negotiate with him but he would not budge. I requested a full damp report to prove that the bathroom was sufficiently ventilated - he ignored my request. So I referred the matter to independent case examiner. The process was painless and followed the case as it progressed on-line. To cut a long boring story short - the landlord only got £175. T0sser.

We had a reasonably good experience of the scheme.

The report was scathing of the estimate of £450 from our ex-landlord for painting a (one) pencil mark on a wall plus professional cleaning of curtains.

I scrubbed and cleaned the whole house and even hired a carpet cleaner to make sure all was clean. It was probably cleaner than at the beginning of the tennancy.

He finally got £160 which I think he didn't deserve.

Another accidental landlord trying it on - scum!

A

My wife and I were good tenants for 3 years. Our (accidental) landlord lives in Australia and was extremely slow to fix problems including a broken boiler last winter but we put up with it because we liked the flat.

The bathroom was single glazed, extremely cold, and did not have an extractor fan.... so the paint started to flake. We did not mention this to the landlord because it was not a big deal and he was always slow to respond.

We checked out of the flat with no problems. The check-out report specified that some professional cleaning would be required but only a few hours plus a few other small items. The report specified that the bathroom walls showed "flaked paint and some mildew as a consequence of poor ventilation" that was a "landlord maintenance issue". The landlord completely ignored the report and requested over £1,000 from our deposit. We tried to negotiate with him but he would not budge. I requested a full damp report to prove that the bathroom was sufficiently ventilated - he ignored my request. So I referred the matter to independent case examiner. The process was painless and followed the case as it progressed on-line. To cut a long boring story short - the landlord only got £175. T0sser.

Why did he get anything? Without an extractor fan or window trickle vents you will always get this happening. Is the tenant supposed to leave windows open so the condensation can clear.? It was even highlighted as a landlord maintenance issue ffs. But to be fair even when some tenants have means of ventilating the place they often chose not to use them.

Was the £175 for the cleaning only, or did it include something for the bathroom walls?

We had a reasonably good experience of the scheme.

The report was scathing of the estimate of £450 from our ex-landlord for painting a (one) pencil mark on a wall plus professional cleaning of curtains.

I scrubbed and cleaned the whole house and even hired a carpet cleaner to make sure all was clean. It was probably cleaner than at the beginning of the tennancy.

He finally got £160 which I think he didn't deserve.

Another accidental landlord trying it on - scum!

A

Did he get the £160 for the curtain-cleaning only, or did an amount for the repainting of the pencil-mark get included in that figure also?