House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

The Good Life - Revisted

I posted a couple of weeks ago on the BBC TV series the good life, which I had started watching on DVD.

I've just finished watching all the episodes and got to the final one on the DVD...the royal command performance.

In this episode Tom is getting worried about his pension and what they will do for money later in life.

He goes to see his bank manager with a proposition.

He wanted they to agree to take his house off him in return for £2000, per year...they worked out various scenarios and that it might cost the bank £76K.

The bank manager asked what his house was worth "about 25K" tom says.

The bank manager says to tom that he expects the bank to give him 35K more....to which tom replies..."increasing house prices will cover the rest".

The bank manager calls him an idiot and declares no dewcent bank would consider such a ludicrous proposition.

I was amazed at how relevant this episode was to the con that is the UK housing market.

The bank manager missed tha chance to take toms house ( now probably worth £1M+ ) for £70K...what an idiot...or perhaps in those days no one expected house prices to worth so much.

The moral of the story was that no decent bank expected to make massive gains on peoples houses and sensible lending policies were the norm.

What went wrong ?

I'd recommend everyone try and watch this episode...it was like someone somewhere decided, on seeing this episode, using their house as a pension and ramping up the prices is exactly what poor people needed in their retirement.

Anyone want to buy a 2nd hand copy of the good-life? :lol:

Is it available online anywhere...?

Oh, and I might be interested in the DVD - at the right price. I suspect my "right price" is too low for you though, so I suspect our deal will end up like my house purchases - non existant! PM me if you are serious...

Downsizing has been a widespread retirement option for a long time for people to release pension provision and apparently it extended as an option into middle class finances.

MEWing and pensioner equity withdrawal for retirement as mainstream is a relatively new thing mainly gaining momentum since the 90s. It probably happened to some extent before but it didn't have much if any publicity and it's been very formalised as an option in the last few years especially since pension funds and savings have been so robbed and thieved from by the all and sundry.

Mind you there's also been plenty of scandals with pensioners being ripped off with pensioner equity withdrawal for retirement.

Even programmes as apparently innocent as the Good Life seem to have been used to propagate some sort of message "on the box" for the time rather than just entertainment.

Edited by billybong

The bank manager says to tom that he expects the bank to give him 35K more....to which tom replies..."increasing house prices will cover the rest".

I saw that scene somewhere a few months ago. It's also here, starting from 04:30.

Even programmes as apparently innocent as the Good Life seem to have been used to propagate some sort of message "on the box" for the time rather than just entertainment.

A little bit off topic, but has anyone else noticed that in the BBC TV show, "Outnumbered", the family is gradually getting poorer as the series progresses. They lose their newish car and are in the progress of moving out of their biggish house, the mother loses her job etc. Little things like these appear to be building up. It might be interesting to watch the next series when it comes out.

On the subject of the Good Life, I remember listening to a programme on the radio a few years ago about self-sufficient farming and the expert said that there was no way that two people could feed themselves on what they could grow in a suburban garden and an allotment.

On the subject of the Good Life, I remember listening to a programme on the radio a few years ago about self-sufficient farming and the expert said that there was no way that two people could feed themselves on what they could grow in a suburban garden and an allotment.

Agreed. It's an urban myth originating in John Seymour's books.

A little bit off topic, but has anyone else noticed that in the BBC TV show, "Outnumbered", the family is gradually getting poorer as the series progresses. They lose their newish car and are in the progress of moving out of their biggish house, the mother loses her job etc. Little things like these appear to be building up. It might be interesting to watch the next series when it comes out.

Did anybody ever seriously think they could?

This was a comedy, FGS, not a documentary, and a pretty good comedy too - Margot in particular will always be a classic.

IMO some on here are taking it a mite too seriously.

You might as well start reading things into Hyacinth Bucket.