House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winkie

Eu To Ban Herbal Remedies On Sale In Health Food Stores

why on earth does a herb need to be described as either a food or medicine when many are both?

i just hope the EU collapses before April , they are becoming worse by the day

Don't see the problem myself. It's not as if they are stopping people from getting them.

If you sell any other goods and make a claim that they do a job then you are held accountable for that claim. Why should herbal cures be any different ?

If herbal cures are as effective as normal drugs and have proven pharmaceutical activity then they should be regulated like normal drugs.

What's to stop me at the moment picking some grass, drying it out, sticking it in a bag and making some claim that it will do all sorts of nonsense and selling it to some suckers ?

Don't see the problem myself. It's not as if they are stopping people from getting them.

If you sell any other goods and make a claim that they do a job then you are held accountable for that claim. Why should herbal cures be any different ?

If herbal cures are as effective as normal drugs and have proven pharmaceutical activity then they should be regulated like normal drugs.

What's to stop me at the moment picking some grass, drying it out, sticking it in a bag and making some claim that it will do all sorts of nonsense and selling it to some suckers ?

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I think the issue is to get a licence as a 'drug' costs a fortune. Hence most small places that do herbal remedies, and I imagine even the large ones, will not be able to afford it.

This is why in herbal shops you never see the claims on the sides of the bottles like you see on a packet of Flu medicine. You have to look all that up separately or ask advice from someone. This is also why they are never referred to as a 'medicine'.

I think at the moment due to these things - they are quite differentiated already. Don't see any need for more regulation myself.

As for your example ? If it doesn't have some sort of effect, whether real or a placebo, then nobody will buy it. Word gets around pretty quick in this day and age. And if people do decide to buy it ? Up to them.

Yes quite. Are we talking herbal or "herbal"?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0512/1224270210618.html

I love the line:

"It is now an offence to import, export, produce, supply or possess the banned substances where they are to be used for human ingestion, other than as a flavouring in food."

But officer, the crack-cocaine is just to give my chips a bit of flavour.

What next will they stop us doing?....

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,6013380,00.html

Glaxo and co. finally getting their way?

They've been after this kind of thing for ages, they want to control the market.

Hopefully the internet will help get round their machinations and we'll still be able to order things from websites hosted outside the EU.

Consumers will not benefit from this over-regulation, this is big business lobbying.

Simply unnecessary surely?

We already have laws covering this, vis-à-vis the trade descriptions act.

As far as I can tell it's just another group of busybodies writing unnecessary laws to justify their positions and fill their time.

What's wrong with smaller government, fewer laws and more commons sense? Surely we need to trust our citizens and empower them.. not try to centrally plan/legislate for every aspect of peoples lives.

But what do I know.. :rolleyes:

Glaxo and co. finally getting their way?

They've been after this kind of thing for ages, they want to control the market.

Hopefully the internet will help get round their machinations and we'll still be able to order things from websites hosted outside the EU.

Consumers will not benefit from this over-regulation, this is big business lobbying.

Indeed.. I already tend to get any medications I think I may require abroad. Which is frustrating because if you don't use them they go off.

The local laws don't seem to have worked too well.

Tablets 'caused kidney failure'

A woman suffered kidney failure after being sold Chinese herbal treatments containing a poisonous plant extract, a court has been told.
Sandra Stay took the herbal treatments for almost three years to combat a skin condition and started to feel ill in December 2001, it is claimed.
The 59-year-old Hove woman developed headaches and nausea and was diagnosed with advanced renal failure in March last year for which she now has regular dialysis treatment, Hove Crown Court heard.

A woman suffered kidney failure after being sold Chinese herbal treatments containing a poisonous plant extract, a court has been told.
Sandra Stay took the herbal treatments for almost three years to combat a skin condition and started to feel ill in December 2001, it is claimed.
The 59-year-old Hove woman developed headaches and nausea and was diagnosed with advanced renal failure in March last year for which she now has regular dialysis treatment, Hove Crown Court heard.

If that is the case why not ban the sale of cigarettes and alcohol today, now and be done with it....hypocrites the lot of them, if there is money to be made or if it protects the peace let the people do damage to themselves...freedom and choice is not part of that policy. :(

If you sell any other goods and make a claim that they do a job then you are held accountable for that claim.

So anti-aging creams really do work?

There is such as thing as "whiter than white"?

Red Bull really does give you wings?

So anti-aging creams really do work?

They never claim they "work" - they claim that "a sample of women said they felt that their skin looked younger" or some similar nonsense formulation.

There is such as thing as "whiter than white"?

Source? I think most people take that as a figure of speech rather than a literal claim.

Red Bull really does give you wings?

See above.

If something claims to remedy an ailment then it's a medicine and should be subject to more stringent marketing laws than a washing powder claiming to be awesome at removing stains or some pointless aqueous cream designed to make you feel worth it.

Usuualy the active chemical is the same as you get from the doctor just a random dose and from a natural source.

If it's food they need to match hygiene and other food rules, if it's medicine then what the active chemicals are and those manufacturing rules.

Some Chinese medicine for weight loss is the cheapest herb mixed with some dodgy possibly illegal chemicals dropped by the big pharma because

the trials showed it had dangerous side effects.

I agree anyone should be able to take whatever they want but they should be over 18 and opt out of the NHS at the same time. Go private with herbal treatments

and save the taxpayer a fortune.

Edit:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/NewsCentre/Pressreleases/CON096957The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is warning people of the dangers of taking unlicensed Payouji tea and Pai You Guo Slim Capsules due to concerns over possible side effects.

These herbal products are being promoted for weight loss and have been found to contain an undeclared pharmaceutical active ingredient, sibutramine.

Sibutramine has been withdrawn in the European Union on safety grounds and any product containing it is considered harmful to public health.

Uncontrolled use of sibutramine can result in serious side effects such as high blood pressure, seizures, heart attack or stroke. It may also interact with other prescription medication.

Anyone who is currently using Payouji tea or Pai You Guo Slim Capsules should stop taking it and consult their healthcare professional immediately with the details contained in these products.

MHRA Head of Herbal Policy, Richard Woodfield, said, “People need to be aware that Payouji tea and Pai You Guo Slim Capsules are unlicensed herbal medicines and therefore have not met assured standards".

Registered and licensed herbal medicines can be identified by the Traditional Herbal Registration (THR) on the label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibutramine

Sibutramine is a centrally-acting serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor structurally related to amphetamines,[7] although its mechanism of action is distinct.[8]

Sibutramine was originally launched and marketed by Knoll Pharmaceuticals and was most recently manufactured and marketed by Abbott Laboratories before its withdrawal from the market. It was sold under a variety of brand names including Reductil, Meridia and Sibutrex. It is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance in the United States.

Herbal remedies are never advertised to cure anything, they are herbs and perfectly safe to consume just like sage or basil that many people believe help with health matters.

I for one believe in certain herbs like tea tree oil or echinacea etc. It people don't believe thats fine but don't stop the rest of us from using them.

I don't like chinesse herbal remedies though as they use rhino horn, sharks fin and tiger balls or such like.

YK, I'm not sure if you meant to but thanks for illustrating my point perfectly.

The particular pills this lady was given already contained a specifically banned substance. Creating reams and reams of regulations is no substitute for policing the ones we have. This article proves it.

Some herbals work as good as or better than pharmaceuticals and with fewer side effects, especially in the mental health sphere.

Some herbals do absolutely f-all but that's a big improvement on pharmaceuticals that poison you.

No wonder big pharma and the Eurocrats want this.

But officer, the crack-cocaine is just to give my chips a bit of flavour.

That would be a cracking plate of chips!

If something claims to remedy an ailment then it's a medicine and should be subject to more stringent marketing laws than a washing powder claiming to be awesome at removing stains or some pointless aqueous cream designed to make you feel worth it.

They don't claim to remedy an ailment. That is the whole point. They are not allowed to claim to remedy an ailment. IIRC.

You buy them and other people tell you what to do with them to help an ailment. Just like buying some honey and your gran telling you to mix it with hot water and lemon for a sore throat. Should we make regulations up for that sort of thing to ? Because it is pretty similar to what you get with a lot of herbal remedies.