House Price Crash Forum

Has Knowing Sold Prices Changed The Market?

cardiffone

HOLA441
Broadly 17.5% but with some tinkering to the discount of regular vs one-off purchases. New prices start 1st Jan 2011.

I notice that you can request from their servers prices of individual houses at a rate of 0.01p or something, rather than buying the whole database (and works out to the same if you buy all the data piecemeal as outright)..

Now .. one could manage to raise more than £3,000 a year from Google Adsense and you'd be laughing.

HOLA442

What I really wanted last year when buying a house was access to previous house sale info on websites like rightmove.

Not just the offer and sold price but the actual descriptions and pictures.

Thats they only way you can really compare houses.(without popping in an asking the owners)

Any reason why this info is not available, does it break some privacy law for the new owners?

Some sort of algorithm for house size V's location would be great too.

Have a base level rather than absolute prices, that we can measure relative values by, key in condition, parking, bedrooms etc etc.

Edited by cardiffone

HOLA443

What I really wanted last year when buying a house was access to previous house sale info on websites like rightmove.

Not just the offer and sold price but the actual descriptions and pictures.

Thats they only way you can really compare houses.(without popping in an asking the owners)

Any reason why this info is not available, does it break some privacy law for the new owners?

Some sort of algorithm for house size V's location would be great too.

Have a base level rather than absolute prices, that we can measure relative values by, key in condition, parking, bedrooms etc etc.

Street view will help....anyway I can't understand people who buy places without visiting them...all the places I have lived in I have driven around at different times of the day, visited the local shops, looked at as many web sites as possible connected to the area.....and most importantly knocked on the neighbours doors to ask what they thought of the area good and bad......no pain no gain. ;)

HOLA444

Street view will help....anyway I can't understand people who buy places without visiting them...all the places I have lived in I have driven around at different times of the day, visited the local shops, looked at as many web sites as possible connected to the area.....and most importantly knocked on the neighbours doors to ask what they thought of the area good and bad......no pain no gain. ;)

yep, but not aways possible and practical to ask the neighbours what their house was like when they bought it.

Much simpler to have a database of all sold houses and their descriptions, many houses look alike outside but are very different inside.

HOLA445

yep, but not aways possible and practical to ask the neighbours what their house was like when they bought it.

Much simpler to have a database of all sold houses and their descriptions, many houses look alike outside but are very different inside.

It is not in me to preach...you do it your way...IMO what it looks like inside is a minor detail, the inside you can change, outside is beyond your power to change, outside is what matters, the schools, transport facilities, open spaces, job availability etc is what makes up the value of your home...not how many twigs there are in the vases. ;)

HOLA446

It is not in me to preach...you do it your way...IMO what it looks like inside is a minor detail, the inside you can change, outside is beyond your power to change, outside is what matters, the schools, transport facilities, open spaces, job availability etc is what makes up the value of your home...not how many twigs there are in the vases. ;)

Yeh but if one house sold for say 250K and another 320K in the same street in the same year, and the house you want to buy is on for 310K in same street you want to know what the others where like to help judge a value.

Inside can be a massive amount of work to change....

HOLA447

Yeh but if one house sold for say 250K and another 320K in the same street in the same year, and the house you want to buy is on for 310K in same street you want to know what the others where like to help judge a value.

....all things being equal you could do a hell of a lot for £70k in the way of home improvements.... ;)

HOLA448

I fail to see how you could usefully spend 70k to improve your house other than by extending it, which you would see from Streetview or google earth and co or an old fashion drive by. If the house was not extended but instead tarted up to the tune of 70k I would not bother as those sorts of owners are not the kind that will accept a price reduction anyway.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I fail to see how you could usefully spend 70k to improve your house other than by extending it, which you would see from Streetview or google earth and co or an old fashion drive by. If the house was not extended but instead tarted up to the tune of 70k I would not bother as those sorts of owners are not the kind that will accept a price reduction anyway.

You can't always tell from street view or google maps, especially with extensions, often you can't tell if its an extension or old outbuilding , whether an attic has skylights or is a real loft conversion etc etc plumbing, and electrics are not visible, and on a house round the corner from me which is on sale, you can't see the subsidence from street view....

HOLA4412

Depends what YOUR idea is of doing up.....who you know and what you can do yourself. ;)

I've got high standards..

I would earn more money in the time it takes, than I would save by doing DIY

edwardian 3-4 bed terrace

attic conversion 25-30K more if dormers

new kitchen 10-15K

bathroom 5-10K

kitchen extension 20-50K

refurb sash windows 5-10K

stone cleaning and repointing 2-4K

new roof 5-10K

list goes on

and these aren't top prices...

HOLA4413

new kitchen 10-15K

bathroom 5-10K

kitchen extension 20-50K

new roof 5-10K

list goes on

Well you live in a different world to me....if you spent that you have a very high chance of not recuperating your outlay....each to their own. ;)

HOLA4414

Well you live in a different world to me....if you spent that you have a very high chance of not recuperating your outlay....each to their own. ;)

same here, he who spends 70k on kitchens, bathrooms and co on a 250k house is tarting it up. as I mentioned earlier, spending 70k on an extension and loft conversion is a different matter...

HOLA4415

new kitchen 10-15K

bathroom 5-10K

kitchen extension 20-50K

new roof 5-10K

list goes on

Quite agree re prices. Good quality products for a reasonable spec bathroom easy £3k plus. Band Q , Bathstore are useless IMO.

HOLA4416

same here, he who spends 70k on kitchens, bathrooms and co on a 250k house is tarting it up. as I mentioned earlier, spending 70k on an extension and loft conversion is a different matter...

No, while the 320k house could be a tarted up 250K house,...the 250K house could be a 320K house that is a wreak...

It could need, new roof, electrics, central heating, re-plastering, new kitchen, new bathroom, sorting out garden, repointing, new windows, asbestos removing, decorating, flooring....

which just highlights the difficulties comparing houses even in the same street.

Edited by cardiffone