House Price Crash Forum
IWantItNow

Rpoints Goes Under

Ok so I'm just buying the missus' Christmas present online and went to Rpoints to see if there were any cashback offers only to find it has gone under :huh:

Linky

I'm just wondering how the hell that's happened. I thought the business model of these companies was they gave back about 50% of the cashback the retailer was offering and pocketed 50%.

I take it they didn't save for a rainy day?

Are any other similar sites going bust?

I take it they didn't save for a rainy day?

Are any other similar sites going bust?

Try and find the rpoints blog but the original owner sold it to another company who added a large amount of monthly expenses to the company while not spending any time expanding it.

Personally I would look at topcashback if you want the best deal currently available (although how they actually make money is difficult to understand).

Seems some were treating it as a bank and got stung. :rolleyes:

I am so gutted, I have not cashed in any cashback since 2005,this Xmas I was going to use them, can't believe the amount I have lost, there goes my Christmas along with my job! I'm in shock. Some of us really could not afford to lose this.

When you go to the topic linked to from the homepage there's a post by Richard (presumably site owner) and his status is "immortal"..

Apparently not !

The business made money from people never reaching the minimum amount to be paid...

Places like MSE have shown people how to abuse it and so it falls down because it's never going to work.

Personally I would look at topcashback if you want the best deal currently available (although how they actually make money is difficult to understand).

They give you 100% of the standard commission but keep any bonus commissions they make from getting £XX,XXX of sales that week / month and of course the membership fees ;)

They give you 100% of the standard commission but keep any bonus commissions they make from getting £XX,XXX of sales that week / month and of course the membership fees ;)

Who? RPoints or TopCashback?

If that is the business model I can see how they've gone under because no-one buying means target missed which means no money coming in. The flaw is in the 100% standard commission.

Who? RPoints or TopCashback?

If that is the business model I can see how they've gone under because no-one buying means target missed which means no money coming in. The flaw is in the 100% standard commission.

I believe this is how all the major cashback sites work.

Quidco must get private commissions at say 10% when everyone else gets 5% with a merchant PLUS bonuses based on how many sales they put through but change is a coming as how much value / work do these cashback sites add for the retailers?