House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Obama Freezes Pay For Federal Workers For Two Years

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/us/politics/30freeze.html?_r=1&ref=business

President Obama announced a two-year pay freeze for civilian federal workers on Monday as he sought to address concerns over sky-high deficit spending and appeal to Republican leaders to find a common approach to restoring the nation’s economic and fiscal health.

“The hard truth is that getting this deficit under control is going to require some broad sacrifice and that sacrifice must be shared by employees of the federal government,” Mr. Obama said at a White House news conference.

“I did not reach this decision easily,” he said. “This is not just a line item on a federal ledger. These are people’s lives.”

He called federal workers “patriots who love their country” but added that “I’m asking civil servants to do what they’ve always done” and sacrifice for the good of the nation.

I like how they want to get the deficit under "control" I would have thought have the budget balanced and then in surplus would be a better idea.

This will save $60b over 10 years.

Ending the supposedly temporary tax cuts for those on over $250k a year will raise $700b over the same period.

One has been rushed through with no opposition, the other is politically very sensitive and subject of fierce and heated debate.

Sad state of affairs that it is ending tax cuts that are the problem!

President Obama announced a two-year pay freeze for civilian federal workers on Monday as he sought to address concerns over sky-high deficit spending and appeal to Republican leaders to find a common approach to restoring the nation’s economic and fiscal health.

“The hard truth is that getting this deficit under control is going to require some broad sacrifice and that sacrifice must be shared by employees of the federal government,” Mr. Obama said at a White House news conference.

“I did not reach this decision easily,” he said. “This is not just a line item on a federal ledger. These are people’s lives.”

He called federal workers “patriots who love their country” but added that “I’m asking civil servants to do what they’ve always done” and sacrifice for the good of the nation.

I think you snipped that quote a bit too much.

I read the bit where the spendthrift idiot was letting all the people that caused the deficit continue receiving their bloated salaries. Where was the bit where the sacrifice is shared by the parasite public sector scum?