House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wee_cooper

Health Advice Needed

Hi hoping someone can help.really worried. Am 33 years old and had pain and swelling in ankles and knees and some pain in wrists.has now subsided.got x-rays done(which are clear) and blood tests which something has come up on them. the doctor can't see me till thursday morning. so now have two days of worry.anyone had something similar

Curious first post. I would be wary of medical advice off the internet especially a house price forum. I would suggest that if it was serious the doc would see you quicker than Thursday.

Hi hoping someone can help.really worried. Am 33 years old and had pain and swelling in ankles and knees and some pain in wrists.has now subsided.got x-rays done(which are clear) and blood tests which something has come up on them. the doctor can't see me till thursday morning. so now have two days of worry.anyone had something similar

I am sorry to hear about this and I can understand how worrying it might be.

At times like this it is only natural to think of the worst and the mind becomes our own worst enemy thinking up all sorts of nasty things. The internet makes this even worse as we go online, google the symptoms and comes up with even worst things than our minds imagined and then we get locked into a vicious spiral of doom.

Try and look on the positive side. I know it is very hard to do but you must try and focus on this.

1. Be positive and think that whatever it is they have spotted in the tests has now been spotted so you can now get treatment for it. This is a positive as opposed to it going undiagnosed for years.

2. Be positive and bear in mind that they can find all sorts of things in blood tests that are not serious but are minor things that can cause imbalances in the body leading to the kind of symptoms you are now experiencing - i.e. the blood tests may have spotted a vitamin or mineral deficiency that may result in you needing to see the GP for a course of iron, vitamin D3, calcium, etc, etc.

Do you have any other illnesses in the family that you might have inherited - diabetes, high or low blood pressure, lack of iron, etc?

You are going to worry - nothing that any of us can say or do will stop you worrying. You simply have to try and focus on the positive and stop your mind running away from you.

I wish you all the best.

Curious first post. I would be wary of medical advice off the internet especially a house price forum. I would suggest that if it was serious the doc would see you quicker than Thursday.

He (or she) is just after finding someone who has had similar which you do often get on here. Sounds a reasonable question to ask. Not that it rings any bells with me.

He (or she) is just after finding someone who has had similar which you do often get on here. Sounds a reasonable question to ask. Not that it rings any bells with me.

I wasn't criticising, but I would have thought a medical based forum would give a better response. As TMT says, looking for advice from the internet can cause you more worry as there are so many illnesses with similar symptoms. Just because I have a headache doesn't mean I have a brain tumour.

I wasn't criticising, but I would have thought a medical based forum would give a better response. As TMT says, looking for advice from the internet can cause you more worry as there are so many illnesses with similar symptoms. Just because I have a headache doesn't mean I have a brain tumour.

Ah but it....

Yes, you're more right than I was.

Ah but it....

Yes, you're more right than I was.

Hi.I know it may seem strange that i posted here but was desperate to speak to someone and there does seem to be some clued up folk on here. Anyway, eventually I rang the doctor who told me there was nothing to worry about.Liver,kidneys etc all tip top.Just a bad virus that I have struggled to shake off. Thanks to TMT for your words, they helped a lot.

I can go back to worrying about a house price crash now!!!!

Hi.I know it may seem strange that i posted here but was desperate to speak to someone and there does seem to be some clued up folk on here. Anyway, eventually I rang the doctor who told me there was nothing to worry about.Liver,kidneys etc all tip top.Just a bad virus that I have struggled to shake off. Thanks to TMT for your words, they helped a lot.

I can go back to worrying about a house price crash now!!!!

Good. Glad to hear it. Really pleased for you.

Did the Doc suggest or recommend anything or are you still going on Thurs?

Good. Glad to hear it. Really pleased for you.

Did the Doc suggest or recommend anything or are you still going on Thurs?

he said to see how i feel over the next few days as the pain is going away so that is a good sign.If it gets worse or doesnt go away then to go in and they can try and flush it away with some medicine.

he did spend more time telling me how i should have another bash at giving up smoking, so i think i will have a go.

After speaking to him not even the tube strike could get me down. It took an hour to travel four stops from white city to ealing tonight. Didnt care.

Thanks again TMT

Have you swelling in your fingers? Pitting on finger nails?

I would suggest that if it was serious the doc would see you quicker than Thursday.

What doc? Maybe a £300/hour doc, but on the NHS you take pot luck (except with paying for it, which you can't avoid).

he said to see how i feel over the next few days as the pain is going away so that is a good sign.If it gets worse or doesnt go away then to go in and they can try and flush it away with some medicine.

he did spend more time telling me how i should have another bash at giving up smoking, so i think i will have a go.

After speaking to him not even the tube strike could get me down. It took an hour to travel four stops from white city to ealing tonight. Didnt care.

Thanks again TMT

Give up smoking - you are killing yourself.

At 33 you think you are invincible. You just had a shock that scared you but thankfully it was not bad news. Give up smoking - for your own sake and for the sake of those who love you.

Give up smoking - you are killing yourself.

At 33 you think you are invincible. You just had a shock that scared you but thankfully it was not bad news. Give up smoking - for your own sake and for the sake of those who love you.

Yep -give it up.

Recently nursed my mother-in-law through lung cancer. There is no cure, once you get the symptoms.

It was a truely disgusting death - drowned in her own blood.

Give it up - it's an expensive fools game.

Going through a similar thing myself ie the waiting game. Pretty sure I have Hodgkin's lymphoma :(

Why hodgkins? What results have you been given so far?

Why hodgkins? What results have you been given so far?

I have had various tests and think I have a ct scan either tomorrow or next week. I have an enlarged lymph node on my neck which is of a size and density that I think the most likely result is hodgkins; I'm not sure what else it would be really?

Hmmmm - In August I went to my GP with paraeathesia in my feet worried that it was a symptom of MS after reading it on the internet Also advised it was in the family. Doc told me to not be silly and it was chronic hyperventilation.

In November developed occular neuritis and read on the internet this is a common onset symptom of MS. Went to UK hospital - saw 3 different doctors who speculated it was temporal arteritis / stroke and other diseases of the elderly (Im 38)

Flew back to ME where Yank GP identified the problem inside 2 minutes and got me admitted to hospital for immediate treatment

Moral of the story -in most cases you would be better off visiting an african witch doc with his chicken bones than visiting a UK hospital / Clinic for an accurate diagnosis :angry:

I have had various tests and think I have a ct scan either tomorrow or next week. I have an enlarged lymph node on my neck which is of a size and density that I think the most likely result is hodgkins; I'm not sure what else it would be really?

Hi Pezerinno,

Good luck with the scan - I hope it all works out for you.

Hmmmm - In August I went to my GP with paraeathesia in my feet

Moral of the story -in most cases you would be better off visiting an african witch doc with his chicken bones than visiting a UK hospital / Clinic for an accurate diagnosis :angry:

I've had numb face since January - just like I've had dentist injection.

Dozens of blood tests and no ideas ...

i'm no medical professional but maybe it is salt retention causing excess water (the swelling)

i think the term is edema

I had no end of blood tests by those quacks at Addenshyte - showed nothing other than the fact I was not vitamin or mineral deficient.

One of the more minor symptoms of my Occular Neuritis was a mildly numb face - left side only . Following MRI this correspondended to the lesion and inflammation on the left side of my brain.

I dont know what your finances are like but if you can afford it go private and get an MRI done - i think you might be able to knock a private clinic down to £400 perhaps.

Sarah

Pins and needles around the face can be a symptom of chronic hyperventilation. Do you tend to take short quick breaths? If you do this tends to lower blood CO2 levels too low and causes vasoconstriction - hence the numbness.

Try breathing deep slowly, hold breath for a bit and then slowly breath out. Do this for a while. This should help increase your blood CO2. See if this has any effect.

It is only one of many possibilities but worth a try - at least to rule it out if nothing else.

I hope it is something like that and not something more serious :)