House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quine

Ice Grips/spikes For Shoes

My mum has been stuck indoors for a few days now because of the snow but would go out if she had spikes for her shoes. Any recommendations. I'd like to be able to buy them over the internet and get them posted to her as I'm overseas.

Thanks

Loads of shops have them this year.

Always found a good pair of thick wooly socks on the outside of shoes seems to be good. Don't last long if you walk too far though.

I have a pair of sandals that came into their own in last winter's snow, leaving me walking faster and more confidently than $rest-of-world. By contrast, my walking boots were skidding all over the place where there was ice. Just looked, and they call themselves "paddlers".

Got caught out last Friday in different sandals on slippery ground, and wished for the paddlers!

[edit to add] as for spikes, look up crampons. They're hard work to use, and total overkill for a little bit of snow and ice. I didn't bother with the (Italian) mountain boots last winter, nor do I intend to now.

I have just got these for cross country running. Decided to try them on the snow and ice and they are class. Special soft runner compound designed for fell running and stuff apparently. Feel like slippers. Inov 8 talon 190's. Not exactly what you were looking for but they do work well. And they look rather snazzy as well. If not then there are spike things you can buy to slip over your shoes ? Try somewhere like Tiso online or the likes.

Inov8_XTal190_AW10.1.jpg

<br />I have a pair of sandals that came into their own in last winter's snow, leaving me walking faster and more confidently than $rest-of-world.  By contrast, my walking boots were skidding all over the place where there was ice.  Just looked, and they call themselves "paddlers".<br /><br />Got caught out last Friday in different sandals on slippery ground, and wished for the paddlers!<br /><br />[edit to add] as for spikes, look up crampons.  They're hard work to use, and total overkill for a little bit of snow and ice.  I didn't bother with the (Italian) mountain boots last winter, nor do I intend to now.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sandals..in the winter. Aaaa you must be English, they do that funny sock wearing thing with sandals don't they?

I have just got these for cross country running. Decided to try them on the snow and ice and they are class. Special soft runner compound designed for fell running and stuff apparently. Feel like slippers. Inov 8 talon 190's. Not exactly what you were looking for but they do work well. And they look rather snazzy as well. If not then there are spike things you can buy to slip over your shoes ? Try somewhere like Tiso online or the likes.

Inov8_XTal190_AW10.1.jpg

Mmm thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if my mum would go for these (they are bonny though).

Mmm thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if my mum would go for these (they are bonny though).

You never know some oldies these days have dapper taste !!

In fact most of them wear far more snazzy stuff than I do myself. :D

I just ordered some of these. We'll see how I get on with them. I need them because I work outdoors, and do a huge amount of walking.

I fell over last winter and boy did it hurt.

Livininabox - those Yaxtrax ones were sold out on Amazon so I've just ordered Darkman's pair. Thanks for suggestions.

Sandals..in the winter. Aaaa you must be English, they do that funny sock wearing thing with sandals don't they?

Socks? Ugh. How dare you :angry: Sandals are for comfort, socks are just to alleviate discomfort from uncomfortable footwear.

Found a piccie of the sandal with the great grip on snow&ice: mauritius_366_brown.jpg

My mum has been stuck indoors for a few days now because of the snow but would go out if she had spikes for her shoes. Any recommendations. I'd like to be able to buy them over the internet and get them posted to her as I'm overseas.

Thanks

Socks. Worn over the shoes. Gives excellent grip. Costs nothing.

Does that actually work?

I tried this today to walk the dog. Nice thick pair of woolen hiking socks over my boots. I didn't slip at all - even on the hill where the kids had been playing 'let's make it as slippery as possible by sliding about all dog'.

The dog did slip.

Normally it's the other way around, so I'd say - effective.

If I tell my mother the sandals suggestion and the socks over the shoes suggestion she'll tell me NEVER to read or trust this forum again :D

I just ordered some of these. We'll see how I get on with them. I need them because I work outdoors, and do a huge amount of walking.

I fell over last winter and boy did it hurt.

Well I tried them out today. And surprise surprise the product actually works!

Definitely worth buying if you're out walking in this weather.

Decided to wear my golf shoes yesterday as it was getting a bit icy. Worked a treat. Soft spikes. I used to have metal spiked shoes and thought the soft spikes wouldn't be too good - however they grip and stick very well.

If anyone has an older relative I can think of worse things to buy them for the snow than a nice pair of soft spike golf shoes.

American Golf

Here is an example of some birds one. Pretty snazzy and they come in all sorts of designs. Footjoy are mega comfy too. Some are just like wearing slippers straight out of the box.

footjoy-contour-golf-shoes-ladies--2010.jpg

Or something like this for the blokes.

Zoom-196144-blk-1Z.jpg

Always found a good pair of thick wooly socks on the outside of shoes seems to be good.

Does that actually work?

Tried the sock thing today for the first time. Made an enormous difference, give it a try. I felt much more confident (and it's very hilly and hence treacherous where I am)

Didn't have thick woolly socks so I used thin black ones. Seemed to work OK.

The snow sticks to the upper part of the sock so it's not obvious that you're wearing them. Good job as mine were odd socks (one had a stripe, the other was plain black).

These might be worth a try too:

Kahtoola Microspikes

Prior to purchasing the Microspikes, I vetted them against other products in the same category, including the previously-reviewed Yaktrax or STABILicers. At $60 retail (I found mine for $44), Microspikes are expensive, but for anyone out on real trails, they're the best. Yaktrax are the low-end, low-durability cheap version. STABILicers's cleats are OK (and fine for walkways and everday use, as the previous reviewer says), but for more rugged terrain, the Microspikes are preferable.

Strongly tempted as I hate the ice more than most (IMO).

I think today is my last day in my (f)uggs - there's not enough snow in places and they're cr*p for walking on normal roads.

I have been out four times in them this week though and never slipped or slid once.

Heres a tip, a bit too late maybe.

-Get old pair of shoes/trainers that you don't wear anymore.

ice%2Bshoes.jpg

-Screw in three 1 to 2 inch flat head self boring screws (2 at front, one rear), through a piece of rectangular plastic*, and then through the sole.

-You now have a pair of ice shoes. Enough to get you where you need to go. Take your normal shoes and a pair socks in a bag so you can swap over.

*This is about 1-2mm thick. The inside of a empty bleach bottle may do.

Ah! We have snow again! May comeh out the home made ice shoes!

Please go ahead and try that out*. Then report back how it went ;)

*make sure a hospital is nearby first though