House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Constable

The Euro

from 30:23 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wcjf9/Newsnight_23_11_2010/

As the delightful Katinka Barysch (Deputy Director, Centre for European Reform) points out, "people underestimate the political investment that has gone into the project".

Interesting graph of trade since the start of the Euro (Germany is in Red!, the rest are Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain). And bear in mind that the trade of the PIGS was artificially supported by excessive credit which has now disappeared and isn't coming back.

40028748.jpg

It's finished, but it's a bit like HPI in the UK - people have so much emotional investment in it that it will take massive pain before they admit they were wrong and change course.

Edited by Constable

from 30:23 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wcjf9/Newsnight_23_11_2010/

As the delightful Katinka Barysch (Deputy Director, Centre for European Reform) points out, "people underestimate the political investment that has gone into the project".

Interesting graph of trade since the start of the Euro (Germany is in Red!, the rest are Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain). And bear in mind that the trade of the PIGS was artificially supported by excessive credit which has now disappeared and isn't coming back.

40028748.jpg

It's finished, but it's a bit like HPI in the UK - people have so much emotional investment in it that it will take massive pain before they admit they were wrong and change course.

so you think that little "incidents" like the supposed air-cargo price fixing cartel are entirely by accident.

Lufthansa get off scot-free because they blow the whistle.....and KLM,air france and BA get plundered.

looks like a bit of corporate/national espionage to me.

I do hope france aren't holding out hope of wearing the trousers in europe.......it ain't gonna happen with dirty tricks like this.

maybe dubya WAS right after all!!!....maybe they ARE cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

They are going to have to put up or shut up now,no more fence sitting...because indecision and easy-life optiona will now be considered weakness.

40028748.jpg

lol, thats a graph for Red Kharma

PS political investment = political looting

PPS people have so much emotional investment in it that it will take massive pain before they admit they were wrong = see PS, i very much doubt the people have any emotional investment in it, you could probably hold a referendum in every one of those countries in the graph , including germany and the majority vote would be to leave tomorrow

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

lol, thats a graph for Red Kharma

PS political investment = political looting

PPS people have so much emotional investment in it that it will take massive pain before they admit they were wrong = see PS, i very much doubt the people have any emotional investment in it, you could probably hold a referendum in every one of those countries in the graph , including germany and the majority vote would be to leave tomorrow

When I said people, what I really meant was the European political establishment!!

I just don't see how the Euro can be abandoned now because there would be huge cost in member countries setting up individual replacement currencies. I don't even think that any countries will be forced out of or leave the Euro, for the same reason. It would be a bit like the people of Texas and California saying that Louisiana has to leave the US Dollar because it's too poor.

I see the Euro emerging battered and intact from this crisis and within ten years - by the end of 2020, we'll be in the Eurozone too. The Torylition government might be dead against this but it'll be gone within 12 months, after the Lib Dems leave.

Edited by blankster

I just don't see how the Euro can be abandoned now because there would be huge cost in member countries setting up individual replacement currencies. I don't even think that any countries will be forced out of or leave the Euro, for the same reason. It would be a bit like the people of Texas and California saying that Louisiana has to leave the US Dollar because it's too poor.

I see the Euro emerging battered and intact from this crisis and within ten years - by the end of 2020, we'll be in the Eurozone too. The Torylition government might be dead against this but it'll be gone within 12 months, after the Lib Dems leave.

The euro is flawed and weaker countries cannot afford to be in it. The costs of setting up a new currency are miniscule by comparison.

I remember in the nineties people saying it was "inevitable" that Britain would join the Euro - you don't hear much from those people these days.