House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
guitarman001

Who Are You Voting For Next Time?

It seems the coalition started off with nice noises about the housing market, raising CGT, but are bottling it in almost every sense. Not got the balls, IMO. So what's your reckoning for next election? Vote them in to keep Labour out or vote somebody else?

Edited by guitarman001

Remedied - let me know if you want others on the list.

I feel so let down. Admittedly I voted SNP last time as they were the second largest party where I am (to get Labour out). Losing all hope. See this post from me from another thread:

'SO! Is the dream over? Will it take ANOTHER 5-10 years for the 'bubble to burst'. You and I have waited so long but is it being 'saved' once again? How long can we put of buying? Will we just rent? Will we move abroad? Wouldn't be surprised if the government cuts will be natural wastage, not helping forced sales much.

Are we dreaming hoping for further falls?'

Is there ANYTHING we can do!? We are powerless but to move on or move away.

Edited by guitarman001

I usually base my voting decision on the party that is most likely to beat the party that I least want to win. Where I live, the split is between Lib-Dem and Labour with the Tories a distant fourth after Scot-Nat; so I voted Lib Dem (Labour still won).

I hope this doesn't turn into one of those, "What's the point of voting? They're all in it for themselves" threads. Voting is the one chance that you get to do something where the political cosa-nostra have to take notice. Do you think that those protests in London will have any affect on what the government decides? Ask the Countryside Alliance how they got on opposing the hunting ban.

The only lever of power the ordinary man or woman has is to vote for the least worst politician in their particular area.

I plan to vote BNP again. They are considered far right wing in modern Europe, but in East Asia they would be a moderate/mainstream party.

I'm not sure if Britain is ready for real political change though. Afterall the current system is in real trouble, but it still is going. Its sort of like communism in the early 80's to me. Yeah things are getting worse, but a lot of people have a lot of time and emotional energy invested in the current system. They still want to vote for people who promise not to change anything, but at the same time promise to fix the problems.

I think only after the current system crashes and burns, like we are seeing Ireland meltdown, will the people be emotionally ready to listen to new ideas. And the BNP isn't the only party with different ideas, there are lots of interesting ideas out there currently in 'fringe' parties. Those parties need to mature some of their fantasy land parts of their platforms.. but maturation is part of building up new political movements.

I plan to vote BNP again. They are considered far right wing in modern Europe, but in East Asia they would be a moderate/mainstream party.

I consider them left wing extremists tbh with some sound social policies. Thing is, their ACTUAL social policies may be a little more forceful than their manifesto suggests. Even so its all academic as they won't get seats in this system.

Not happy with any of the above really.

The Tories though are so blatantly a party for the rich. It amazes me that they stand any chance in a democratic election. They probably represent only the top 3% of the population. For instance this week they are not requiring banker's pay to be revealed in state owned banks but they are requiring teacher's pay and sick days to be revealed. Raise VAT and cut the top 50p tax rate, double standards for the rich? . Yes, progressive no.

A lot of people are voting for them purely because they think they will reduce immigration, they won't, due to the EU, even if they could they wouldn't. Besides immigration forces wages down, which helps create a low cost economy, why would they want to stop it? It is all posturing.

The Lib Dems are over, their support base and grass roots has been obliterated thanks to Clegg's personal and naked grab for power.

This country will be in one hell of a mess in 5 years time, in the areas of Tory policy that I consider myself an expert they are a complete nightmare and out of touch with reality.

We need a new alternative.

Edited by desperate young

Even with AV?

Well yes that would work, but I don't believe that will happen. I used to vote UKIP in EU elections, but swapped to Conservative when they sounded more sound on Europe. They are currently in a probation period for me ;)

Missing an option.

Government.

they are all the same.

the DEBT is increasing, defaulters (even homeowners) are too big too fail, a system that encourages more children as benefits outway the costs of the children, slaps down someone for even daring to point this FACT out, bankers taking HUGE bonuses, so large the imagination cant graps it, and we LEND 9bn to a bankrupt country.

Im with the JWs on this.

OPT OUT.

The Tories started out with great intentions, most of which are progressively getting watered down. I would say the coalition is probably still the least worst option of the main stream parties.

Labour probably put us back into reverse again, no doubt trying to continue what they started.

BNP - Like the fact they are principled.. but they have the wrong principles (in some areas).

Greens - Did ok for Germany, but I'm not sure more green policies are really what the country need right now

UKIP - Not sure what they stand for.. never had a representative up this way so a bit academic.

Not loving the options.. if I had to vote now it would either be the Tories or a protest vote I guess.

Vote yourself out of the system by taking cash out the bank and becoming your own banker. Also, purchase gold/silver and other hard assets. Refuse to play their debt based/consumption game.

This is the best thing people can do.

The Tories started out with great intentions, most of which are progressively getting watered down. I would say the coalition is probably still the least worst option of the main stream parties.

Labour probably put us back into reverse again, no doubt trying to continue what they started. Absolutely

BNP - Like the fact they are principled.. but they have the wrong principles (in some areas). Hah! Have you read 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell? It won't take long before power corrupts them, and given their basic tendencies God knows what they would come up with! NO NO NO....

Greens - Did ok for Germany, but I'm not sure more green policies are really what the country need right now. See BNP.

UKIP - Not sure what they stand for.. never had a representative up this way so a bit academic. See BNP.

Not loving the options.. if I had to vote now it would either be the Tories or a protest vote I guess.

Indeed. Be careful for what you wish for and all that. We may not be happy with the way things are now; never forget the 100% reason we are in the mess is Labour; let us not forget that fact in 10 years time when we are all whining because we are not all living the dream. My Mum who lived through Wilson et al tried to warn me the smug leftly student in '97 about what I was voting for. She was right 100%.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship."
Edited by vlad the impaler

Hopefully the next election will have AV. In which case my vote would be:

1. Greens

2. Labour

3. Conservative

4. Monster Raving

5. UKIP

6. BNP

7. Lib Dem

Compiling that list was a lot more satisfying than tactically picking one choice in a safe seat.

Labour, and I think the majority of people will do the same. New leader and a shift to the left is what the country has needed since the 1980s

On paper Labour look a good bet to win the next election. They weren't that far away from winning last time.

I am not so sure though. I can think of plenty of reasons not to vote Tory, but I am struggling for a positive reason to vote Labour. A swing to the left would be one solution but I am not sure it would be popular.

Usually only the big 3 stand here. If theres another choice it would be UKIP, if not, i'll vote libdem as a mark of respect to Clegg doing the right thing rather than the easy thing democratically and entering in to partnership with the Torys.

I did think of liebour for about three minutes when Red Ed starting laying into Brown and Nulab. That promptly dissapeared when he appointed all the worst of Nulab into top shadow cabinet positions.

Not happy with any of the above really.

The Tories though are so blatantly a party for the rich. It amazes me that they stand any chance in a democratic election. They probably represent only the top 3% of the population. For instance this week they are not requiring banker's pay to be revealed in state owned banks but they are requiring teacher's pay and sick days to be revealed. Raise VAT and cut the top 50p tax rate, double standards for the rich? . Yes, progressive no.

A lot of people are voting for them purely because they think they will reduce immigration, they won't, due to the EU, even if they could they wouldn't. Besides immigration forces wages down, which helps create a low cost economy, why would they want to stop it? It is all posturing.

The Lib Dems are over, their support base and grass roots has been obliterated thanks to Clegg's personal and naked grab for power.

This country will be in one hell of a mess in 5 years time, in the areas of Tory policy that I consider myself an expert they are a complete nightmare and out of touch with reality.

We need a new alternative.

Ironic that it took the tories to raise liebours 18% CGT rate.

VAT maybe regressive, but its nothing compared to liebours printing into oblivion. Liebour whined about VAT throughout the 80s/90s, did nothing about it in power. Fuel and tobacco duties are regressive too, and in labours defense did drop the escalator thingy, but they have still risen well in excess of wages.

Like it or loath it, most people seem to think raising VAT is the least bad option. Not sure why, but its how most feel if the choice is VAT or PAYE.

Its not so much europe IMO, Britain is PC central, worse than Holland, probably worse than america even.

Le pen got over 5 million votes against Chiraq, more than ten times what the BNP attracts. Theyre probably bigger than the Libdems.

My advice to anyone wanting the EU/Euro to crumble is to be patient and not get worked up about stuff, in fact try not to read about it. It will take longer to collapse than the UK housing market, and will cause you a lot of stress in the mean time thinking about it.

On another note, I find it fascinating that this forum has a very strong Conservative/UKIP allegiance. I wonder why this is? I understand the anti-Labour sentiment, but thought the others may do better, most likely at UKIPs expense.

What is it about people that want a house price crash that correlates with 'old' conservatism?

What are the demographics of this forum? I'm guessing pretty young given that we want to get on the ladder etc. My only hunch is that its an aspiration thing? On the other hand you may expect UKIPers and conservatives to be from affluent families and not be worrying about the cost of houses so much if they get the help of rich relatives etc. Certainly a head-scratcher. Perhaps we're more 'humble' conservatives of the Tebbit school of thought?

Thoughts?

Edited by Fawkandles

I'm a life-long Lib-dem voter but I will be voting Labour next time. I have never voted Labour before and I've been a very harsh critic of Gordon Brown's disastrous term as PM.

I think the Lib Dems were right to give the coalition a try but it's clear now that they are just parliamentary ballast for a Tory government hell-bent on punishing the people for Gordon Brown's mistakes and for the criminal behaviour of the arch-Thatcherite banks.

I would vote labour partly as a protest, although I think Ed Miliband might get Labour back on course as a proper centre-left party, untainted by the Blairite New Labour 'Toryism for people who could never bring themselves to vote Tory' or Brown's sheer incompetence.

Each day that goes by, the next election becomes a month closer. The skids are really under the coalition now. Vince Cable says he might not vote for his own proposals, which themselves go against Lib Dem manifesto commitments! He'll have to resign, I reckon. If Cameron sacks him, that will be the end of the coalition. If he resigns, will he be replaced by a Tory or Lib DemTory?

And what do Tory voters think of their government announcing they're cutting £6 billion from public spending one week and then giving £7 billion to Ireland the next? Not the sort of thing that would go down well among the farmers and retired colonels in the shires!

All 3 parties have betrayed the public and their own voters:

Labour robbed the poor to bail out the rich.

The Tories are punishing the poor for what Labour did

The Lib Dems have abandoned everything they stood for to prop up the Tories in power.

Edited by blankster