House Price Crash Forum

Went To A Cash Machine Yesterday....

HOLA441

I wanted a tenner out but the machine gave me withdrawal options of increments of £20 which usually means that it's run out of tenners. Pushed the button for 20 quid and two tenners popped out. Given that oncwe it's in your pocket you are more likely to spend it, this looks like this might be a ploy to get you to spend more then you intended?

HOLA442

I wanted a tenner out but the machine gave me withdrawal options of increments of £20 which usually means that it's run out of tenners. Pushed the button for 20 quid and two tenners popped out. Given that oncwe it's in your pocket you are more likely to spend it, this looks like this might be a ploy to get you to spend more then you intended?

Soon it'll be 50s then 100s then 1000s which wont buy you a loaf of bread. :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Most paranoid thread on HPC for week ending 28th Nov 2010.

Congratulations! :)

HOLA445
HOLA446

Most paranoid thread on HPC for week ending 28th Nov 2010.

Congratulations! :)

No paranioa - if you noticed, I was merely asking the question, rather than stating it as fact as some our our resident conspiraloons do.

I think it's actually a pretty valid question and doesn't sound too radical when you think about it. The money is going to end up in someones account somewhere when it's spent and money moving round is good for the banks. It's just a good marketing strategy, when you think about it. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "ploy"?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I drew £50 out of a machine a couple of days ago and got a failry wrinkled £20 and 3 of the filthiest, creased tenners you'd ever seen.

It may have become policy not to put new notes in machines because they stick together. Maybe too many get issued (a common repeated story about 'generous' cash machines), but I hadn't expected to get notes that looked like they'd just come out of the wrong end of a household pet.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Yes I tried one of those 24 hour cash machines!

24 hours my ****!

3 hours later I was back there to pay for another round at the club! ;)

HOLA4414

I drew £50 out of a machine a couple of days ago and got a failry wrinkled £20 and 3 of the filthiest, creased tenners you'd ever seen.

It may have become policy not to put new notes in machines because they stick together. Maybe too many get issued (a common repeated story about 'generous' cash machines), but I hadn't expected to get notes that looked like they'd just come out of the wrong end of a household pet.

On the contrary, I often seem to get brand new notes with consecutive serial numbers from cash machines. In fact, I would have thought that consistently shaped, undamaged new notes would seem a better prospect for not jamming the machine up.

HOLA4415

Who withdraws £10 from cashpoints anyway? You'd be going to them at least twice a day at that rate. Withdraw £100 and save annoying the person behind you in the queue :)

I'm a tight-**** these days and only trake out what I need to spend. It only gets wasted otherwise.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

On the contrary, I often seem to get brand new notes with consecutive serial numbers from cash machines. In fact, I would have thought that consistently shaped, undamaged new notes would seem a better prospect for not jamming the machine up.

I guess it depends on the machine. If it is a supermarket cash machine, they get stocked up with notes from the tills as it is cheaper to do that than courier them to the bank.

HOLA4420

I guess it depends on the machine. If it is a supermarket cash machine, they get stocked up with notes from the tills as it is cheaper to do that than courier them to the bank.

Are you sure? It's usually not the supermarket that operates the machine.

Archived