House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Christmas Fare

Been in the spirit(s) all week. Port, sherry and brandy. Just for Christmas cooking reasons obviously ;)

Off on a father Christmas steam train trip this afternoon. Merry Christmas one and all

Left work on thursday and traffic was awful. A journey that normally takes me 15 minutes ended up taking 45. sitting in stationary traffic in Teddington and not moved an inch in 10 minutes.

Got a tap on my window and some nice old fellow said " Have one of these mate".. holding a plate of Mince pies.. How very bloody nice and I took one and thanked him.

He and his wife (I think) decided to come out of their shop and offer all the grumpy drivers a bit of festive cheer...

Unexpected and tasty and defintely made my week :)

Left work on thursday and traffic was awful. A journey that normally takes me 15 minutes ended up taking 45. sitting in stationary traffic in Teddington and not moved an inch in 10 minutes.

Got a tap on my window and some nice old fellow said " Have one of these mate".. holding a plate of Mince pies.. How very bloody nice and I took one and thanked him.

He and his wife (I think) decided to come out of their shop and offer all the grumpy drivers a bit of festive cheer...

Unexpected and tasty and defintely made my week :)

...that is what life is all about, the people that consider others and gain pleasure in cheering them up.

It's the little things that count. ;)

Trying out roasted sprouts today in prep for the big day. Turkey ordered from the farm a few weeks ago. Can't believe the price of the things but it is Christmas.

Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing but the wife does Christmas according to the gospel of St Nigella

Trying out roasted sprouts today in prep for the big day. Turkey ordered from the farm a few weeks ago. Can't believe the price of the things but it is Christmas.

Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing but the wife does Christmas according to the gospel of St Nigella

Gospel of St Nigella is a Good Thing, definitely - especially if it's the instructions from the book "Feast" - the turkey has always come out well (I don't do the brining thing, as I buy a good turkey - the higher heat than usually recommended works wonders - although having a giant bird like that upside down for a bit means it's not very stable - every now a fat pocket bursts, and the leg of the turkey knocks on the oven door like it wants to get out - a tad disconcerting....), and the ham in Cherry coke is good too... as are all the side offerings. Her easy action christmas cake (with the chestnut puree in) is a thing of joy too.

No matter how hard I try, I can't convince my mother that putting it on a 'low heat', whilst she's at church, is a waste of a decent turkey.

I've even shown her that the gospel of St Nigella results in a plump juicy bird, but the lady's not for turning.

Someone gave me some mulled wine this weekend. I actually felt vaguely Christmassy. It was nice.

If anyone lives near enough to Kingston in Surrey. Head for market square and the German market. Very festive.. Food stalls, beer/mulled wine, sweets, music. glorious smells from the German sausage/sauerkraut and food stalls. Quality time with the family. I had roasted Chestnuts for the first time. Wife used to bang on about eating them as a kid when taken to see the lights in Oxford street. Like eating Conkers :lol: but added to the fun of it all.

Well worth it .

Someone gave me some mulled wine this weekend. I actually felt vaguely Christmassy. It was nice.

Yum. I wanted to make some yesterday but didn't have all the bits and pieces.

Mr B bought some mince pies on Saturday. Don't really like starting on M pies till 1st Dec. but had one anyway - not very nice, far too much thick pastry. Will make some on Weds. (Very thin pastry, loads of filling. :) )

Shall then do some Chr. cards with Classic FM on (lots of carols on Classic) a glass of mulled wine and a mince pie or two. Though I did most of the far-flung Chr. cards yesterday. Doing any in Nov. is a record for moi so I is feeling pretty smug innit.

What made me feel Christmassy yesterday morning was catching a carol (advent hymn?) on R4. 'O come O come Emmanuel...' At school we always used to sing it at the beginning of Advent - it meant Christmas Is Coming! - so v exciting at that age.

But I still love Christmas. Have to curb it at work, though, since all my colleagues* seem to loathe it. :(

Edit: *meezerable s*ds, though otherwise I do like them.

I'm rather partial to the odd glass of mulled cider - it's a bit lighter, and so you can manage more of it... either use the mulled wine bags, or make your own mix with cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger etc... chuck in a slosh of brandy/ginger wine/any other spirit you fancy if you want an extra kick. Give the kids mulled apple juice and they think they're oh-so grown up!

Gluhwein from your favourite German discount supermarket does the job nicely too.

*hick*

And the wife has spent all afternoon baking Pepparkakor.

happy days

More pepparkakor biscuits, first batch of mince pies, nigella's puddinis, xmas pudding all made and a little enjoyed along the way

*hic*

2 weeks and counting