House Price Crash Forum
kevino

Magnanimity Is Laudable But Isn't Apparent Here

Dear All, I must say that a lot of you should look at your behaviour and smugness over the past few weeks. While I have come to admire a lot of what has been said over the past 6 months, the current attitude which has been seen is most distasteful.

I will state my position here, I am a married man with one baby daughter with a very good job. I bought a house in late 2001, Mortgage was 0.95 x my income. I wasn't suckered into buying a big mansion, my (then) fiancee and I didn't need it. We have overpaid on the mortgage and it is almost paid off. I am bearish, I find some of the prices absolutely hilarious, I despise EA's, the VI press with a passion and where I come from (Newcastle) there is obviously a lot of MEW when you see who is driving Porsches!!!!

We are looking to buy a bigger house for our new family, so not speculating, falls will not really change my position in the grand scheme of things on the housing ladder but I will not stretch myself and sacrifice my healthy (debt free apart from mortgage) lifestyle for bricks and mortar so an EA can prance about in a brand new vehicle. So I am looking for a crash to reduce the gap between the rungs.

However I will not welcome what a crash will do to a lot of the hard working families which tweedledum, tweedledee and tweedletwat (Blair, Prescott and Brown respectively) have deceived with their "economic miracle" Yes a lot of FTB's will be able to get on the ladder, such is your right but at the cost of a lot of families going to the wall. The least you can show is a bit of humility. Otherwise you just turn into the "BTL *******s" you despise!!!!

To see attitudes such as "F*** em, they are stupid" is distasteful. To mock someone for ignorance is frankly terrible. I myself earn around 3 times the National average wage, maybe more than what a lot on here earn. Am I to say "F*** you all, I'm better off because I'm more intelligent"? I'm sure a lot of you would berate me for that.

Don't take pleasure in people's misfortune, remember what goes around, comes around.

Maybe a lot of people who will be stung this time round trying to secure a pension portfolio were FTB's looking to get on the ladder in the late 80's............................

I understand where you are coming from. I think you have to put yourself in the shoes of others on the forum. Many have been priced out and feel bitter. Many have had to put up with disparaging comments and been made to feel like social lepers when they have aired their views. I understand why people behave in this way when they have been through these sorts of experiences. After all, smugness doesn't actually harm anyone, does it.

I understand where you are coming from. I think you have to put yourself in the shoes of others on the forum. Many have been priced out and feel bitter. Many have had to put up with disparaging comments and been made to feel like social lepers when they have aired their views. I understand why people behave in this way when they have been through these sorts of experiences. After all, smugness doesn't actually harm anyone, does it.

No, smugness doesn't harm anyone so why did they get bitter at TTRTR???

To be a true winner you should be magnanimous in victory.

"Two wrongs don't make a right"!!!!!

I myself earn around 3 times the National average wage, maybe more than what a lot on here earn.  Am I to say "F*** you all, I'm better off because I'm more intelligent"?  I'm sure a lot of you would berate me for that.

I earn two or three times what you earn, does that mean I win in the intelligence stakes? Or is it only you that can self-nominate for that honour? And is it only earnings that confirm that?

one baby daughter with a very good job.

Shame on you. A child of that age deserves to be free of work and to spend time with her mother. Have we really come to this? I hope you at least send her out the door with a few farley's rusks and a bottle of milk.

Delboypass will be pleased. At least your daughter isn't scrounging child benefit to fund her romper suits and jelly tots lifestyle.

Guest muttley
I earn two or three times what you earn, does that mean I win in the intelligence stakes? Or is it only you that can self-nominate for that honour? And is it only earnings that confirm that?

No,I think he was saying he can't say that he is more intelligent just because he earns more.

I myself earn around 3 times the National average wage, maybe more than what a lot on here earn.  Am I to say "F*** you all, I'm better off because I'm more intelligent"?  I'm sure a lot of you would berate me for that.

Don't take pleasure in people's misfortune, remember what goes around, comes around. 

agree mostly but why did you feel the need to state the above.

TTRTR clearly believes that the national average wage is around £2k, and is predicted to go negative very soon.

No, read my post, it is meant as an irony. A lot of people are saying "f** em they are stupid" because they'll be better off than them if a crash occurs. I am illustrating the point if I had said "F*** you, I earn more than you so must be more intelligent" they would have plenty to say, as they have to you many times............

It seems you fell into the trap yourself, reading your previous posts (although we have differing views on where the market will go, if you are savvy enough to make money whatever the conditions, go for it, I'm a capatilist, a lot on here verge on communist................), I have admired your sole stand against a lot on here, but read my post again. All I'm saying that people should not mock people being worse off than them due to a lack of intelligence.

So not being smug or saying I am "Uber intelligent", just illustrating the point......................

Guest prudence

You should also distinguish between those who get into trouble through ignorance and those who do so through greed. There are plenty in the latter category who were probably intelligent enough to do some research into the housing market before buying but were so besotted by making big bucks quickly that they took on assets for several hundred thousand pounds with as much thought as they would give to buying a kettle. There are also many intelligent people who overstretched themselves because we now live in a society where no one thinks they have to to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions. If the worse came to the worse they would go into bankruptcy and forget about their debts.

one baby daughter with a very good job.

Shame on you. A child of that age deserves to be free of work and to spend time with her mother. Have we really come to this? I hope you at least send her out the door with a few farley's rusks and a bottle of milk.

Delboypass will be pleased. At least your daughter isn't scrounging child benefit to fund her romper suits and jelly tots lifestyle.

Touche, use of commas was never my strong point!!!!!

Yes a lot of FTB's will be able to get on the ladder, such is your right but at the cost of a lot of families going to the wall.  The least you can show is a bit of humility.  Otherwise you just turn into the "BTL *******s" you despise!!!!

Please explain why a lot of families will 'go to the wall.'

How about the families with 3 kids who have left home, but none of them can afford a starter flat? Are their parents supposed to MEW to give them a deposit?

This price boom has hurt the average man much more than a crash ever could.

A price crash will only hurt those who have MEWed heavily and many BTL investors but not those who live within their means. For them it's salvation!

agree mostly but why did you feel the need to state the above.

To illustrate the point. A lot on here are gloating at what might happen and that they'll be "better off" at the expense of others. Then saying it is the other people's fault as they aren't as informed or intelligent as they are.

I wasn't gloating as such, just illustrating that if I chose to it would wind a lot of people up. So gloating at people going to the wall so FTB's can get their precious homes is distasteful.

Touche, use of commas was never my strong point!!!!!

It’s not a comma problem it’s syntax(don’t pay it)

Keep description as close to the subject as possible ie I am a married man, with a very good job, and one baby daughter, appendage last.

Only joking, my grammar leaves a lot to be desired

Please explain why a lot of families will 'go to the wall.'

How about the families with 3 kids who have left home, but none of them can afford a starter flat? Are their parents supposed to MEW to give them a deposit?

This price boom has hurt the average man much more than a crash ever could.

A price crash will only hurt those who have MEWed heavily and many BTL investors but not those who live within their means. For them it's salvation!

Excuse me, but are you saying that the "average" British Parents, pre boom forked out deposits for all of their kids homes?? Get real!!!

It will not hurt only those who have MEW'd!!!

What about a family, two working parents, saved up, but still need a big Mortgage. Managing to get by on their joint wages. Economy goes downhill, one of the parents lose their jobs, can't cover mortgage, go to sell house-negative equity!!!!!!

Edited by kevino

Guest muttley
You should also distinguish between those who get into trouble through ignorance and those who do so through greed.  There are plenty in the latter category who were probably intelligent enough to do some research into the housing market before buying but were so besotted by making big bucks quickly that they took on assets for several hundred thousand pounds with as much thought as they would give to buying a kettle.  There are also many intelligent people who overstretched themselves because we now live in a society where no one thinks they have to to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions. If the worse came to the worse they would go into bankruptcy and forget about their debts.

Very well put,prudence.

The Smug-O-Meter needle has swung from the bulls to the bears.I don't recall much magnaminity from BBB,MintedBTL,Hanibal Lector et al. when things were going their way.

As David Brent once said "Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue"

Of course,I would never agree with that!! :lol::ph34r:

No, read my post, it is meant as an irony.  A lot of people are saying "f** em they are stupid" because they'll be better off than them if a crash occurs.  I am illustrating the point if I had said "F*** you, I earn more than you so must be more intelligent" they would have plenty to say, as they have to you many times............

It seems you fell into the trap yourself, reading your previous posts (although we have differing views on where the market will go, if you are savvy enough to make money whatever the conditions, go for it, I'm a capatilist, a lot on here verge on communist................), I have admired your sole stand against a lot on here, but read my post again. All I'm saying that people should not mock people being worse off than them due to a lack of intelligence.

So not being smug or saying I am "Uber intelligent", just illustrating the point......................

Fair enough.

I personally think there's a lot of good people here who for one reason or another can't make the leap to get on with their lives & would rather spend their time pointing out risks & pitfalls to people on the move whilst simultaneously harboring a secret jealousy.

So yeah, you're right!!

What? You've nearly paid off a mortgage in 4years??? Eh?

Am I supposed to like you after reading this?!

Going to go back to your post to check you really wrote this! I must have read it wrong - if so, sorry. If not....what? Paid it off??? Bizarre

What? You've nearly paid off a mortgage in 4years??? Eh?

Am I supposed to like you after reading this?!

Going to go back to your post to check you really wrote this! I must have read it wrong - if so, sorry. If not....what? Paid it off??? Bizarre

Whats liking him got to do with whether or not he's paid his mortgage off? :huh:

Dear All, I must say that a lot of you should look at your behaviour and smugness over the past few weeks.  While I have come to admire a lot of what has been said over the past 6 months, the current attitude which has been seen is most distasteful.

I will state my position here, I am a married man with one baby daughter with a very good job.  I bought a house in late 2001, Mortgage was 0.95 x my income.  I wasn't suckered into buying a big mansion, my (then) fiancee and I didn't need it.  We have overpaid on the mortgage and it is almost paid off.  I am bearish, I find some of the prices absolutely hilarious, I despise EA's, the VI press with a passion and where I come from (Newcastle) there is obviously a lot of MEW when you see who is driving Porsches!!!!

We are looking to buy a bigger house for our new family, so not speculating, falls will not really change my position in the grand scheme of things on the housing ladder but I will not stretch myself and sacrifice my healthy (debt free apart from mortgage) lifestyle for bricks and mortar so an EA can prance about in a brand new vehicle.  So I am looking for a crash to reduce the gap between the rungs.

However I will not welcome what a crash will do to a lot of the hard working families which tweedledum, tweedledee and tweedletwat (Blair, Prescott and Brown respectively) have deceived with their "economic miracle"  Yes a lot of FTB's will be able to get on the ladder, such is your right but at the cost of a lot of families going to the wall.  The least you can show is a bit of humility.   Otherwise you just turn into the "BTL *******s" you despise!!!!

To see attitudes such as "F*** em, they are stupid" is distasteful.  To mock someone for ignorance is frankly terrible.  I myself earn around 3 times the National average wage, maybe more than what a lot on here earn.  Am I to say "F*** you all, I'm better off because I'm more intelligent"?  I'm sure a lot of you would berate me for that.

Maybe a lot of people who will be stung this time round trying to secure a pension portfolio were FTB's looking to get on the ladder in the late 80's............................

Well said ! I totally agree ! There is a lot of spite towards homeowners on this Forum .Certain Crash mongers seem to think and hope we are all mortgaged to the hilt , are about to crash & burn that we all will end up repossessed and in debt!

In reality they couldn't be further from the truth! we have had the common sense to buy as we homeowners and we are already on the ladder.

We are not chasing a HPC "dream" and renting !

Edited by kissmyb

To see attitudes such as "F*** em, they are stupid" is distasteful.  To mock someone for ignorance is frankly terrible.  I myself earn around 3 times the National average wage, maybe more than what a lot on here earn.  Am I to say "F*** you all, I'm better off because I'm more intelligent"?  I'm sure a lot of you would berate me for that.

I wouldn't berate you for earning 3 times the national average (but I would ask for some career advice!!!) but I would say that you can afford to be magnanimious because you are not suffering and don't appear to have suffered in a goodly while. I wouldn't wish suffering on you, but it takes a little to understand the mentality it breeds.

As for TTRTR he's a total card and I for one love him... and anyway, he can take the knocks!!!

Dear All, I must say that a lot of you should look at your behaviour and smugness over the past few weeks.  While I have come to admire a lot of what has been said over the past 6 months, the current attitude which has been seen is most distasteful.

I will state my position here, I am a married man with one baby daughter with a very good job.  I bought a house in late 2001, Mortgage was 0.95 x my income.  I wasn't suckered into buying a big mansion, my (then) fiancee and I didn't need it.  We have overpaid on the mortgage and it is almost paid off.  I am bearish, I find some of the prices absolutely hilarious, I despise EA's, the VI press with a passion and where I come from (Newcastle) there is obviously a lot of MEW when you see who is driving Porsches!!!!

We are looking to buy a bigger house for our new family, so not speculating, falls will not really change my position in the grand scheme of things on the housing ladder but I will not stretch myself and sacrifice my healthy (debt free apart from mortgage) lifestyle for bricks and mortar so an EA can prance about in a brand new vehicle.  So I am looking for a crash to reduce the gap between the rungs.

However I will not welcome what a crash will do to a lot of the hard working families which tweedledum, tweedledee and tweedletwat (Blair, Prescott and Brown respectively) have deceived with their "economic miracle"  Yes a lot of FTB's will be able to get on the ladder, such is your right but at the cost of a lot of families going to the wall.  The least you can show is a bit of humility.  Otherwise you just turn into the "BTL *******s" you despise!!!!

Must be a f***ing Vicar?

However I will not welcome what a crash will do to a lot of the hard working families which tweedledum, tweedledee and tweedletwat (Blair, Prescott and Brown respectively) have deceived with their "economic miracle"  Yes a lot of FTB's will be able to get on the ladder, such is your right but at the cost of a lot of families going to the wall.  The least you can show is a bit of humility.   Otherwise you just turn into the "BTL *******s" you despise!!!!

It's not quite as simple as you explain. Much of the pyramid housing / inflation habit of vast numbers of homeowners has brought about a disastrous consequence for others in the last ten years, who by the way, can be just as intelligent as everyone else but perhaps aren't driven at all costs to be owners in the way that perhaps you were.

And in fact house inflation speculation is nothing whatsoever to do with intelligence. You could argue the opposite: that people with higher things on their minds actually have few material aspirations. Indeed housing speculation and profit has been in some quarters very much the pastime of those with little imagination to achieve much else.

I think it is fair enough to gloat a little after a decade of smugness from that part of property owning brigade who specifically climbed on the bandwagon in order to (greatly) supplement an otherwise modest income.

But I do no think that the majority of posters here want "revenge". However a little circumspection goes a long way from former bulls, some of whom have posted the most absurd up-beat rubbish here in the face of an obvious avalanche.

Some REAL damage has been done by house inflation, and as with the end of any despotic regime (which is what the whole housing merry-go-round was) it is not quite enough to say "I was only following orders". Those who subscribed to the notion that they can make a quick buck out of housing are not committing a "victimless" crime, because the accumulated consequences of playing the market has resulted DIRECTLY in everyone else not on the top of the pyramid having to pay for the vast financial excesses of those who were.

So while I am not here to gloat personally at you, I think it is a bit of a cop out to say "I was just doing the best for me and my family".

The lesson learned (and of course it will never be applied come the next cycle of boom and bust) is that housing should never be a substitute for income.

There are a few BTL's and heavyweight speculators who frankly do deserve all they are going to get. That is the price they will pay for over-exploiting a precious resource for selfish ends.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession