House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

What Happens When The Benefits Caps Come In.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w2288/The_Report_25_11_2010/

Easy to have missed Radio 4's The Report - an analysis of the effect of housing benefit caps on those living in expensive London areas.

Opens with a lady contributing £20 a month to a rent of £1450 a month just off Maida Vale.....

Followed by a landlord who gets £25000 a year LA rent from each of his many benefit tenant flats...

Interesting programme.

Edited by juvenal

Followed by a landlord who gets £25000 a year LA rent from each of his many benefit tenant flats...

Actually five.

Interesting programme.

Interesting, but very superficial and entirely London centric. No explanation was offered as to why these tenants were paying full LHA rate when a £15 a week lower rent would have enabled them to keep all the saving. Perhaps it's because so few landlords are willing to let to HB claimants that such tenancies are only offered on a take-it-or-leave-it basis at the full rate? We weren't told.

The landlord did explain the main problem with LHA: it's an average of all similar sized properties in a Broad Market Rental Area and consequently overly generous for properties, such as his, in less desirable parts of the BRMA. That was a key point which was then left hanging in the air. They could have discussed how the ConDem's spatchcock cuts do little to remedy this problem of excessive payments for poor properties, but penalise claimants who have shopped around to obtain value for money in a restricted market.

Well they'll get kicked out for not being able to pay the rents, mass homelessness in the country specially down south, the £20 is it weekly or monthly? anyway will mean less profits for companies, this will really hit our economy hard.

Say thanks to the tory donors who pulled a few strings, in getting this through.

Edited by crash2006

It's astonishing that peak rents have not been tackled before. I recall social security paying for absurdly inflated central London flats in the 70s and 80s and it's continued ever since. The answer is not cultural cleansing but more accommodation at sensible prices, which will spill over into the private rental market and house prices generally.

It's astonishing that peak rents have not been tackled before. I recall social security paying for absurdly inflated central London flats in the 70s and 80s and it's continued ever since. The answer is not cultural cleansing but more accommodation at sensible prices, which will spill over into the private rental market and house prices generally.

Always has been the case since T&CP act 1947 really. Nothing has changed even now. More land-more building-cheaper capital values-cheaper rent. End of story.

What is now going to happen is that all and sundry from around the world are going to buy UK property to let to British citizens.

The British Govt will fund the tenants with out money which will go striaght into the pockets of the foregn owners.

We are stark raving bonkers in this country.

What is now going to happen is that all and sundry from around the world are going to buy UK property to let to British citizens.

What I see is British citizens buying property to rent to other British citizens as a pension scheme. Almost half of the people I know well have a second (or third or fourth) property that they rent out, and every one talks about it in terms of a retirement fund.

Is it a wise investment? Probably not. But what's the alternative if you want to provide for yourself in retirement and you don't have a secure defined benefit pension scheme?

This is all so crap.

I work my ******** off, in a very stressfull (sometimes) environment, and take home after tax £1660 / month.

All really really bollocky bollocky. :angry:

There was one case highlighted in the Daily Hate, was advertised at £1,000 per week but rented out to someone on benefits for £1,500 per week ie the max payable (maybe not exact figures but the rent hike was at least 50% over what it was advertised at a couple of months earlier. Of course no action taken ...

Perfectly legal I'm afraid. A couple of miles from where I live the rents have shot up by about 30% since 2008 all because of LHA. These are places you won't see on the lettings websites as 1) they are utter sh*te properties and 2) it is mainly the council that sticks people in there. In fact many of them are ex-council flats.

In most cases the caps will take back just a little of what the BTL scumlords have gained in the last couple of years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ort_25_11_2010/

Easy to have missed Radio 4's The Report - an analysis of the effect of housing benefit caps on those living in expensive London areas.

Opens with a lady contributing £20 a month to a rent of £1450 a month just off Maida Vale.....

Interesting programme.

it reminds me that I have been ethnically cleansed Kosovo style from central London to zone 6 (5 miles from M25) .... plus now I have to top-up my Oyster card with my taxed income to get to the cental London ... thanks Labour !!!

Yes I know it's legal, just thought the councils would have said that tough Mr seven-kids-and-no-job we are not paying £1,500 find something cheaper (problem is that it their uman rights innit). Mentioned before, but we were gazumped on a rental by someone on benefits - they just went in and said what's the rent? OK the council will pay, we will take it.

it seems to me that the LibTorry strategy is to merge all the benefits to one payment to show to Mr Taxpayer, how ridiculously it is high .... and then they will ask Mr. Taxpayer, what should happen ...

clever, simple and politically attractive ...

Edited by Damik

This is all so crap.

I work my ******** off, in a very stressfull (sometimes) environment, and take home after tax £1660 / month.

All really really bollocky bollocky. :angry:

Crikey, you are loaded... :o

But then again, I was lucky enough to inherit some cycling shorts for my tours... B)