House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

The Useless Police Force

One of my staff was on his way home from work last night when his girlfriend called him. Apparently, she had a knock on the door and answered it to find a scratty looking man offering a deal on Sky TV. When she asked him to provide some ID, he got arsey and pushed the door trying to get in. Luckily the door was chained and she managed to shut the door on him.

Naturally, on hearing this from his girlfriend (who had their baby asleep upstairs) he called the Police. There is a station less than a mile from his house.

The police said they won't send anyone around or log it, as this was the only instance.

If someone attempting aggravated burglary and who knows what else if he had got in, isn't something the police deal with, then just what the ****** are they for?

If someone attempting aggravated burglary and who knows what else if he had got in, isn't something the police deal with, then just what the ****** are they for?

When I lived in Kent, I worked from home, and my home office faced the road. We lived in a really nice road - the neighbours didn't know each other, as such, but we all said hellos and smiled. Opposite us lived an old guy - must have been in his seventies, I suppose. He had this bike, and he'd go off on long bike rides in all weathers.

One day, he'd forgotten to put the bike away after he got back. A group of about 5 youths came down the road, looking for trouble, and one of them nicked his bike from outside his front porch, as I watched from the upstairs window. Thinking that running after them would only end up getting me into trouble, and accepting that it wasn't quite a 999 call, I rang the local police station, and explained to them that I just seen some youths stealing my neighbours bike from outside his house.

The response was - and I kid you not - that I wasn't able to report the theft, as it wasn't my property that had been stolen. I was dumbfounded. In the end the woman on the phone got quite stroppy with me. I thought about it for a few minutes, and decided I hadn't explained myself properly, and phoned back, explaining more clearly what I'd seen. This time the woman on the phone was really stroppy, explaining that she'd told me once, and not to call again.

I went and told my neighbour. Obviously, he never got the bike back.

I think that was the day on which I kind of lost faith - not in the police, necessarily - but because of the complete and utter lack of any kind of common sense in most walks of life.

When I lived in Kent, I worked from home, and my home office faced the road. We lived in a really nice road - the neighbours didn't know each other, as such, but we all said hellos and smiled. Opposite us lived an old guy - must have been in his seventies, I suppose. He had this bike, and he'd go off on long bike rides in all weathers.

One day, he'd forgotten to put the bike away after he got back. A group of about 5 youths came down the road, looking for trouble, and one of them nicked his bike from outside his front porch, as I watched from the upstairs window. Thinking that running after them would only end up getting me into trouble, and accepting that it wasn't quite a 999 call, I rang the local police station, and explained to them that I just seen some youths stealing my neighbours bike from outside his house.

The response was - and I kid you not - that I wasn't able to report the theft, as it wasn't my property that had been stolen. I was dumbfounded. In the end the woman on the phone got quite stroppy with me. I thought about it for a few minutes, and decided I hadn't explained myself properly, and phoned back, explaining more clearly what I'd seen. This time the woman on the phone was really stroppy, explaining that she'd told me once, and not to call again.

I went and told my neighbour. Obviously, he never got the bike back.

I think that was the day on which I kind of lost faith - not in the police, necessarily - but because of the complete and utter lack of any kind of common sense in most walks of life.

You should have made an official complaint. This would have had to be reported (by the Police) to the independant Police Complaints Authority.

You were obviously witnessing a crime in process.It is a common law offence for Constables to wilfully neglect their duty. Only problem is that the woman may have been a civilian clerk. I doubt that it was a lack of common sense, more likely sheer laziness.

Yep, on the odd occasions I've had to deal with the filth regarding real crimes they've been utterly useless. However, when I misjudged traffic flow slightly and partially blocked a roundabout I was followed flashed down an lectured by some young **** with an attitude. He wouldn't have tried that on with a drug dealer with a gun in the glove box, would he? Still, he's paid just the same whether he spends his time on real criminals or not.

I am afraid I don't bother to try to help the police anymore for the very reasons described in the posts above. It probably makes it a worse society, but I used to try and have now given up.

I am afraid I don't bother to try to help the police anymore for the very reasons described in the posts above. It probably makes it a worse society, but I used to try and have now given up.

Can't really blame you. The Police seem to have given up trying to help people. Perhaps its all down to getting high performance figures that look good on Home Office reports.

You should have made an official complaint. This would have had to be reported (by the Police) to the independant Police Complaints Authority.

At which nothing would have been done about it. Then the police who back their own, would find out where you live and make your life hell.

Can't really blame you. The Police seem to have given up trying to help people. Perhaps its all down to getting high performance figures that look good on Home Office reports.

Oh come on now, are you so naive to think that police are there to help people? They exist to enforce demand for fiat currency... when TSHTFF they will be quite happy to be armed and will shoot us in large numbers.

But we must remember the old bill do, on average, only solve 10% of recorded crimes.

and did you know that 95% of those 10% solved crimes are motoring offences such as speeding

The police said they won't send anyone around

To be fair, it is a bit cold at the moment. Maybe they'll send someone in the Spring?

But we must remember the old bill do, on average, only solve 10% of recorded crimes.

That's worrying. How many other crimes are never even reported because people know the police will do sweet FA?

One of my staff was on his way home from work last night when his girlfriend called him. Apparently, she had a knock on the door and answered it to find a scratty looking man offering a deal on Sky TV. When she asked him to provide some ID, he got arsey and pushed the door trying to get in. Luckily the door was chained and she managed to shut the door on him.

Naturally, on hearing this from his girlfriend (who had their baby asleep upstairs) he called the Police. There is a station less than a mile from his house.

The police said they won't send anyone around or log it, as this was the only instance.

Yep - hear this so often these days.

At the risk of harping on about the police, I think the problem is that they are morphing into a vehicle for state control. That fat slag Thatcher started it, when she talked about 'The enemy from within'. This made the average law abidding citizen feel vulnerable. The mantra was continued by successive governments.

There is no enemy from within. Governments and police are custodians of the country and there to carry out our wishes.

I have never been in trouble with the police. Always driven sensibly and never knowingly hurt anyone else. But, got into a situation that involved the police and was treated like a criminal. Vehicles for state control - that what they are becoming. And those uniforms they wear when there is a demonstration - look like robocop. Why do we put up with this crap?

The police are in difficulty, when middle class law abiding citizens like us, have little faith in them.

Oh come on now, are you so naive to think that police are there to help people? They exist to enforce demand for fiat currency... when TSHTFF they will be quite happy to be armed and will shoot us in large numbers.

+1 (x 1010000000000000000000000000)

Yes I am.

I think that you are wrong.

Yes I am.

I think that you are wrong.

That's Ok, but don't show suprise when you are thrown into a cell and have no friends and no access to legal repro.

the other alternative is to try this:

1) report crime - police say no-one available.

2) call back 10 minutes later 'its okay - you don't need to come; I shot him.'

3) they all turn up - 'I thought you said you'd shot him.'

4) I thought you said there was no one available.

That's Ok, but don't show suprise when you are thrown into a cell and have no friends and no access to legal repro.

Are you aware of the 1984 Police and Criminal Evidence Act?

Yep - hear this so often these days.

At the risk of harping on about the police, I think the problem is that they are morphing into a vehicle for state control. That fat slag Thatcher started it, when she talked about 'The enemy from within'. This made the average law abidding citizen feel vulnerable. The mantra was continued by successive governments.

There is no enemy from within. Governments and police are custodians of the country and there to carry out our wishes.

I have never been in trouble with the police. Always driven sensibly and never knowingly hurt anyone else. But, got into a situation that involved the police and was treated like a criminal. Vehicles for state control - that what they are becoming. And those uniforms they wear when there is a demonstration - look like robocop. Why do we put up with this crap?

The police are in difficulty, when middle class law abiding citizens like us, have little faith in them.

Are you a member of any anarchists groups by any chance?

Are you a member of any anarchists groups by any chance?

Nah.....But:More individuals will get pushed that way, as feel disenfranchised from society.

When I was 18 years old, after a night out with friends in the only club that opened after pub hours, in a local village. [This is going back 20 years]

Porkys! [Only a small nightclub]

We came out of the club at around 1am. I was the first out. We had had a good night. There were 5 or 6 of us.

The club exit was onto a cobbled alleyway, quite broad, for a cobbled street.

There had been no trouble whatsoever in the club or outside. The town was quiet. There was no-one else around.

I was at the bottom of the street, leading the way. As my mates came out. We were not drunk. Happy night out really. Heading for a bite to eat.

[i was at college at the time studying engineering.]

There was a small police car, with the lights out, parked at he bottom of the cobbled street. [Which came out onto a normal B road. With some parked cars.]

Two policemen got out. Both in their early twenties.

Walked over to me, without saying a word.

There was a small V shaped opening, near to some bins, behind an old commercial building, where the street met the B road. Lots of leaves and rubbish on the floor, empty crisp packets etc. They led me into

One of them stood behind me, his chest was touching my back, and put his arms over my arms, and held my arms back, whilst the other, stood in front of me and began punching me in the stomach. I was stunned. In shock.

The punches did not hurt, [the policeman doing the punching had a look of glee on his face as I recall] and they were just getting started, when Mark, second out eh club, appeared, and looked at us.

This made them pause. Another police car then pulled up. So they stopped.

What got me more than anything else was that it was premeditated. These two lads had obviously gone out to give someone a kicking.

They never said a word to me or to each other.

As i Say it didnt hurt. But I was just really shocked. Gobsmacked that they were doing it.

The second police car, had a woman and a man in the car. The two officers who had assaulted me, had a quick words with the two who had arrived, who placed me in the back of the car, and took me to the local nick.

It was about 2 miles into the journey, that I suddenly started saying what hells going on! Snapping out of it.

I then described what had happened to the female officer and the guy driving. They said nothing. I remember feeling very shaky and shocked.

I spent the night in a cell with a guy who was out of his head on lsd, and thought he was batman!

The next morning as they checked me out, I tried to tell the desk sargeant what had happened.

He just gave me a filthy look, which suggested I shut up and leave.

I rang a local solicitor, and told him what had happened. He confirmed it does happen, and was not worth pursuing. But I have never forgotten it.

And subsequently, when you see policeman who have been filmed punching drunks in the face, with twenty years service, then getting let off from the courts, you know this may be the first time he has been filmed, but it is an act he has been doing for years, and teaching all those he mentored to act in the same way.

Are you aware of the 1984 Police and Criminal Evidence Act?

No....but I'm sure it's there to protect the system, even though worded in legalese.