House Price Crash Forum
blankster

Nobody's Mentioned The £8 Billion For The Railways

Although it's rather unfortunate timing, with all the cuts going on elsewhere, the announcement of £8 billion to be invested in upgrading the railways seems like a bit of good news for the long-term. I didn't see any mention of any measures to get more goods off the roads and onto the railways, though.

nah nah nah! I remember the last time round the railways said this investment rubbish to make the proles stomach the above deflation rises. They'll take the money and run (the same old stock from the 80s and 90s).

What do they mean by 'investment'? They wouldn't, by any chance, mean more debt would they?

Sounds like an excuse to pour more money into the shareholders'/Directors' pockets to me.

It would be good if the new trains could be built here, even if it's not possible to find British owned companies to build them any more.

I'm assuming these £8 billion proposals are in addition to various schemes to re-open lines or stations and re-doubling some single-track lines.

It's a disgrace that the link to Europe stops at London. That's all I've got to say on the matter.
A pity rather than a disgrace. But wasn't HS2 going to be a completely new line, which would have to be built through some densely populated areas? Edited by blankster

This is just money that was going to be spent anyway, surely...

In other news, chocolate rations up to 20g a week!

I think so but there was the risk it would be cut. Also it's been confirmed what the money will be spent on - apart from the electrification of the Great Western main line via Bristol into South Wales, which seems to be on the back burner now. Edited by blankster

It would be good if the new trains could be built here, even if it's not possible to find British owned companies to build them any more.

I'm assuming these £8 billion proposals are in addition to various schemes to re-open lines or stations and re-doubling some single-track lines

My first job was in the carriage works in York. A huge factory that employed thousands. The Friday 'exit' with people leaving on bicycles meant the road would shut for 5-10 minutes as everyone spilled out. I could also reminisce about other factories in the city, with similar employment... Rowntree's, the site which has mostly been flattened, Terry's, which has been sent off to Sweden/Poland.

The place shut down just after I left and is now derelict, with part of it a very successful Call Centre business.

The problem with becoming a 'Service based'/'Knowledge economy' is that there is nothing underpinning it. When the UK went from an Agricultural society we didn't actually stop producing agriculture, it just employed less people. When we went to the utopia of knowledge, we just let the underpinning manufacturing industry go. Not that it just employed less people, not that it was impossible to achieve, it just disappeared.

There is nothing underpinning the structure of our economy. Any money put into infrastructure now will not go to employ the thousands of underemployed UK citizens, it will be siphoned off by banks and foreign companies.

Has nobody in this government ever read anything of history ? Of economics ? Of basic maths ?

Keynes was a great supporter of impetus of this type, but he acknowledged that it couldn't be done until the debts had been written off or deleveraged. Why is the current mob attempting an experiment that is using dubious economics, without even using conventional wisdom as a starting point ?

Follow the money......

So everyone pays more today for the promise of some additional capacity in 2019 or whenever (add in delays, budget increases blah blah) and the majority of new carriages will be deployed on something called Thameslink which if the name gives us a clue has something to do with London only.

Usual London-centric bullsh1t.

In other news, chocolate rations up to 20g a week!

That's the impression that I got too.

Certainly, the investment announced for Thameslink is nothing new.

It's a disgrace that the link to Europe stops at London. That's all I've got to say on the matter.

Oh come on. You know very well that no significant activity goes on outside the square mile.

People who live outside London are just serfs and chambermaids, barely deserving of a train.

That's why 6bn of the 8bn is being spent on Thameslink.

And the best news - in case you hadn't noticed - is that the whole plan comes to fruition in 2019. (Maybe.)

And to think we laughed at Stalin's five year plans!

:lol:

All of this investment had already been announced by Labour, put on hold by the ConDems, and has now been reannounced as though it was new, but with even longer delays. As TMT points out electrification of the Great Western to South Wales is still on hold. 75% is for ThamesLink.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

So in 2 days alone totalling £16 billion splashed about what with the Irish bail-out of £8 billion and the railways £8 billion.

Such austerity measures are hurting people don't you know. Mind you maybe the railways money is to employ all the extra Irish immigrants now promising to come to the UK.

Edited by billybong

So in 2 days alone totalling £16 billion splashed about what with the Irish bail-out of £8 billion and the railways £8 billion.

The £8 billion for rail is a cut from what was previously projected (less money, longer time scale).

The £8 billion for rail is a cut from what was previously projected (less money, longer time scale).

Which is why we need increase rail fares every time it's announced. Good wheeze.

As you say a level of rail spending had been previously estimated/projected but It's still an extra £8 billion of expenditure that hasn't been spent to date so it's still extra spending/money at risk along with the £8 billion of Irish bail-out money.

In total £16 billion extra announced just in the last two days.

It certainly can't be described as a cut to cut the current gargantuan deficit/debt in the UK economy, an economy that was described today as "perilous" by a member of the UK government.

Edited by billybong

you only have to change trains at Kings Cross or walk up the road from Euston, and that covers the whole of the country north of the Bristol-Watford Gap N/S divide, hardly a problem

bigger prblem being the strength of budget airlines from regional airports

Alsthom still have a major manufacturing facility in the midlands building semi-fast trains on a production line, used all over europe, quite a good chance they will be built here

Essentially we have a privatised service. Privatised services are so much better they say.

They give us more for less.

In other words, inflation busting price increases and taxpayer subsidised funding.

Hang on a minute?

(Rail travel is free for under 5s, under 16s*, over 60s, disabled, local heroin users in harm reduction programs* etc.* etc.*)

* - In applicable areas.

Essentially taxpayer subsidised, taxypayer funded transport that generates profit for shareholders, whatever the economik situation.

Essentially we have a privatised service. Privatised services are so much better they say.

They give us more for less.

In other words, inflation busting price increases and taxpayer subsidised funding.

Hang on a minute?

(Rail travel is free for under 5s, under 16s*, over 60s, disabled, local heroin users in harm reduction programs* etc.* etc.*)

* - In applicable areas.

Essentially taxpayer subsidised, taxypayer funded transport that generates profit for shareholders, whatever the economik situation.

Just for clarification in England I think the free rail travel for the over 60s only applies to the London area via the "Freedom Pass" although it's also fair to say there are sometimes rail travel discounts for the over 60s outside of London but you have to buy something called the Senior Railcard to get the discounts - but they're only discounts and except for London rail travel is not actually free.

I believe that for long distance travel for the over 60s in Scotland, Wales and Ireland currently there are better concessionary bus travel benefits than for the over 60s in England.

Over 60s throughout England do of course get free local bus travel.

Edited by billybong

Just for clarification in England I think the free rail travel for the over 60s only applies to the London area via the "Freedom Pass" although it's also fair to say there are sometimes rail travel discounts for the over 60s outside of London but you have to buy something called the Senior Railcard - but they're discounts and except for London rail travel is not actually free.

I believe that for long distance travel for the over 60s in Scotland, Wales and Ireland currently there are better concessionary bus travel benefits than for the over 60s in England.

Over 60s throughout England do of course get free local bus travel.

In my county all pensioners can travel for free by bus, tram or rail.

In the next country, all pensioners can travel for free, by bus, tram or rail.

For some they can travel by rail between counties!

In my county the under 16s can travel by rail/bus.

By pensioners, I mean pensioners and the registered disabled. (Some people on the heroin treatment program will are classified as registered disabled for the purpose of free travel they are issued the appropriate passes)

To clarify.

In my county all pensioners can travel for free by bus, tram or rail.

In the next country, all pensioners can travel for free, by bus, tram or rail.

For some they can travel by rail between counties!

In my county the under 16s can travel by rail/bus.

By pensioners, I mean pensioners and the registered disabled. (Some people on the heroin treatment program will are classified as registered disabled for the purpose of free travel they are issued the appropriate passes)

To clarify.

It's good to clarify and of course it's difficult to know exactly what's concessionary everywhere in England but it's certainly not the case that there's over 60s free rail travel in England in every authority - even local free rail travel. From what you say it likely varies authority to authority.

Free local bus travel is generally off peak as well.

I think over 60s long distance free rail travel is very unlikely to be granted by any authority anywhere in England (who knows) although it seems to be the case in places like for example Northern Ireland.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/over60s-take-advantage-of-free-rail-travel-13992802.html

....one of the province’s 90,000 who qualified this week for his 60+ Smart Pass, which affords them free travel by road and rail anywhere in Northern Ireland.

Edited by billybong