House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows

I saw Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows today on the big screen. The previous films were mostly to my taste. Unfortunately this one wasn't.

Over-long. Plot holes. Lack of magical ideas. Just a thoroughly miserable film. You might have heard it described as "dark". I think that's misleading, because it suggests a scary black magic type thing going on. But oh no. It wasn't scary that's for sure.

The film consists of lingering depressing scenes, over grave stones, and characters dying etc. Sorry, but Voldemort just looks silly. And there was poor production this time around IMO. Some scenes didn't ring true, such as characters soaking wet in ice and snow but no shivering or visible signs of actually being cold. The original films were very well produced in comparison.

Anyway, there you go. Just thought I'd offer my opinion on it. I suppose it's predictable that once you've dragged out an idea so many times, it's going to run out of steam.

If you're thinking of seeing it... don't ;)

I was bored watching it...I know this as my bum goes numb.

My family are all fans, but they didnt come out popping with chat and excitement...the best they could come up with was what was missing from the book.

It gets a 1 from me.

In time the films will be forgotten but the books wont. The whole film franchise remains mind numbingly boring in comparison. Deathly hallows is one of my all time favourites, it was easy page turner however during the movie fell asleep after 30 minutes.

Thanks for the heads up and saving me the money on cinema tickets.

Massive queues for it down the local cineworld.. which I walked past and straight into Skyline which was ace :) Sci fi B -movie updated to modern day, massive monsterous aliens, action, cheesiness, nail biting right to the sudden finish

I saw Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows today on the big screen. The previous films were mostly to my taste. Unfortunately this one wasn't.

What a pity! The first few films were very entertaining! :huh:

Maybe it's taking itsself too seriously now!

I stopped reading the books when they started to get a bit "dark" - so I'm not surprised the films have too... What started out as a Billy Bunter at magic school series of stories quickly turned into something that wasn't suitable for 6 and 7 year olds to be reading (IMHO) - and the films went that way too - the first few films were rated PG, then they went up to 12 and 12A -which means they're really not children's films any more.

I understand that they're meant to be more suited to the age that Harry Potter is in the book - but now you don't have to wait for the next book to be published, the age of the children reading the books (and hence wanting to watch the films) doesn't increase at the same pace as Harry's age.

I live round the corner from JK - do you want me to pop round and give her a slap :lol:

Should see the work she is doing for her new house. Incredible. No kidding at least 20 contractor vans/trucks/cars parked along the raod every day for about 3 months now. Must be totally stripping it. I bet they all have to sign some pretty serious Non Disclosure agreement.

The mystifying thing is all the good reviews it's been getting. I can understand IMDB being manipulated, but I've heard people on phone-in talk radio shows raving about it too. I wonder how far the infiltration goes these days? It's not beyond reason that people are paid off to promote a film in any way they can, including calling talk radio shows...... :ph34r:

It was only a matter of time before we got onto Rowling's house ;)

She has more than one !! In fact - does this mean this thread should be moved onto the main forum. :D

Chap at work took his family. Came into work and said it was total shite. He is the only one I know that has seen it. His children were gutted.

Even though I am not a fan of the books or the movies, I think that her story is an inspiarional one. Good on her.

the films are ok, not seen the latest but i think the books are great, after being of the opinion that they were bound to be crap i got into them after reading the first couple to the lil uns a few years ago, by the third i was quite hooked and personally i think they are great stories,nothing poncy but extremely well woven plots, likeable characters and most importantly more and more interesting as they progressed

You might have heard it described as "dark".

I think the director took it a bit too literally. Haven't seen so many dark, overcast skies since I watched The Road.

I've not seen it, but let me guess at describing it :

- lots of jolly spiffing children returning to hogwarts for the new term, some have had adventures on the way, some are growing up and falling in love

- on arrival, they're specifically told by the teachers not to go to a certain part of hogwarts

- they decide to go anyway, because the rules don't apply to intelligent, self-assured kids who know what they're doing

- BLIMEY ! there's a nine-headed toad (or something similar) where they were specifically told not to go

- they muddle through and survive, using skills learned by playing rugby on flying rakes

- despite breaking the rules, they get extra points for their house and get through to the final of X-Factor

You can probably tell, I'd rather rub my balls with a cheese grater than watch an HP movie <_<

Buckers

No Hogwarts at all this time around (or Quidditch).

Some falling in love though.

I understand that they're meant to be more suited to the age that Harry Potter is in the book - but now you don't have to wait for the next book to be published, the age of the children reading the books (and hence wanting to watch the films) doesn't increase at the same pace as Harry's age.

Interesting. Not sure what you mean by the "same pace" observation, is it that the films don't come out every year? And do the characters grow with the audience, or the other way round? Must have been an interesting discussion between author and the publisher's marketing department.

Even though I am not a fan of the books or the movies, I think that her story is an inspiarional one. Good on her.

I would normally think that - but no. I have seen a few shows about her. She was very adamant on the 'Poor wee single mother with not a pot to piss in' angle.

Yet did she work in Tesco or Mcdonalds during this time to make ends meet ? No. She sat in a cafe drinking Latte's and writing stories about goblins.

:rolleyes:

Interesting. Not sure what you mean by the "same pace" observation, is it that the films don't come out every year? And do the characters grow with the audience, or the other way round? Must have been an interesting discussion between author and the publisher's marketing department.

Sorry, I knew I wasn't very clear - when the books came out, they were at the rate of one every year or so - and sometimes even 2 years in between. My little brother was 7 or 8 when the first book came out - it was pitched about right for him to read on his own, as was the next book, and so on - he's always been happy with them (although I think the last couple were a tad beneath him...). A 7 or 8 year old who is an equally avid reader could now whip through all the books in one go (it would still take them a while. but you get what I mean) and be reading the "darker" books at a much earlier - the same goes for the films, although the 12 and 12A ratings should dissuade parents from taking their 8 yr olds to see the more recent films, it probably doesn't, as they're all seen as "children's" films - which blatantly, they're not any more.

I've not seen it, but let me guess at describing it :

- lots of jolly spiffing children returning to hogwarts for the new term, some have had adventures on the way, some are growing up and falling in love

- on arrival, they're specifically told by the teachers not to go to a certain part of hogwarts

- they decide to go anyway, because the rules don't apply to intelligent, self-assured kids who know what they're doing

- BLIMEY ! there's a nine-headed toad (or something similar) where they were specifically told not to go

- they muddle through and survive, using skills learned by playing rugby on flying rakes

- despite breaking the rules, they get extra points for their house and get through to the final of X-Factor

You can probably tell, I'd rather rub my balls with a cheese grater than watch an HP movie <_<

Buckers

Um, no, not really.

It's dire - got dragged to it last night - booooooooooooooring....

There were some funny moments though... The "dance" scene - hilariously badly done... The moment Harry told Ron his wand was broken and Ron said "Oh hang on - I've got one here - it's 8 inches of black wood" - near wet meself laughing...

Other than that - save your cash...

My opinions were formed during the first half dozen or so HP movies. Luckily, even my kids got bored of them and I haven't had to sit through the last few.

"half dozen or so"? This latest one is number 7. So you've seen them all bar this one.

"half dozen or so"? This latest one is number 7. So you've seen them all bar this one.

I`m with Buckers, feels like there have been a few dozen. The countless re-runs on Sky and huge hype around every film premier or book release over all these years.