House Price Crash Forum
R K

Sarah Palin Calls North Korea A U S Ally

Sarah Palin is very intelligent, she either meant allies inside North Korea as opposed to North Korea itself, it's hard to judge what she said without the CONTEXT of the whole conversation at hand. Or alternatively as other posters mentioned she is deliberately trying to play off as dumb. I don't think she has been corrupted yet and she was if anything too nice in Alaska which is why people hated her.. she didn't join in the corruption, but only time will tell.

Apparently 8 seconds before she had described the South koreans as allies so even though I don't like her I'm happy to accept it was a slip of the tongue and ignore the mass media bandwagon telling me how to think.

Edit:spellink

Edited by zebbedee

I'd vote for her. Destruction USA full speed ahead!

Yeah, then we can look forward to the next superpower running our lives--China or Russia? Don't think the Germans are as interested these days. No Muslim super power on the horizon yet. Maybe we should hope for a Chinese takeover as I am sure they will be nice to us unlike or American enemies?*

IMO there was no worse leader than Brown--a different kind of ignorance and a very dangerous kind. Stalin and Mao were also ignorant in their own way. At least the Soviets have at last admitted killing 10,000 Polish officers which might pugt them on your favored nation list as the next wprld superpower. They are at least sort of European unlike the Chinese.

* <_<

Sarah Palin is very intelligent, she either meant allies inside North Korea as opposed to North Korea itself, it's hard to judge what she said without the CONTEXT of the whole conversation at hand. Or alternatively as other posters mentioned she is deliberately trying to play off as dumb. I don't think she has been corrupted yet and she was if anything too nice in Alaska which is why people hated her.. she didn't join in the corruption, but only time will tell.

I'm assuming sarcasm?

0: Wasilla's long-term debt when Palin took office in 1996

$18.6 million: the long-term debt Palin racked up by the time she left office in 2002, amounting to about $3,000 per resident

$223 million: the earmark secured for the infamous "Bridge to Nowhere" that Palin initially supported before opposing

$223 million: the amount of money designated for the "Bridge to Nowhere" that Palin ultimately used for other projects, rather than returning it to the federal government

$453 million: the total amount of earmarks Palin has asked U.S. taxpayers to fund for Alaska projects over two years as Governer, despite McCain's insistence that she hasn't sought earmarks or special-interest spending from Congress

$27 million: the total amount of federal earmarks Palin secured for Wasilla's town of 6,700 people while she was mayor, thanks to the help of a Washington lobbyist with ties to indicted Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) and convicted felon Jack Abramoff

As for being intelligent.

Heilmann and Halperin write: "Palin couldn't explain why North Korea and South Korea were separate nations. She didn't know what the Federal Reserve did. Asked who attacked America on 9/11, she suggested several times it was Saddam Hussein. Asked to identify the enemy that her son would be fighting in Iraq and she drew a blank. Later, on the plane, Palin said to her team: "I wish I had paid more attention to this stuff."

http://www­.timesonli­ne.co.uk/t­ol/news/wo­rld/us_and­_americas/­article698­4739.ece

Apparently 8 seconds before she had described the South koreans as allies so even though I don't like her I'm happy to accept it was a slip of the tongue and ignore the mass media bandwagon telling me how to think.

She did.

It's possible she just has very poor spatial awareness. After all it's proven that women are hopeless at reading maps for this very reason. She probably has compensating skills such as being able to choose the right handbag for a particular outfit and talk absolute nonsense even without the aid of a glass of chilled chardonnay.

She referred to South Korea as an ally several times then had a slip up but corrected herself soon after. Quite pathetic how the left jump on these things. Check out her twitter reply complete with links to prove what a f**king idiot the current president is. Then again maybe it doesn't matter that the president thinks there are 57 states in the US.

it's hard to judge what she said without the CONTEXT of the whole conversation at hand.

Best I could do I'm afraid. As far as I know, it's accurate:

Interviewer: How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea?

Palin: Well, North Korea, this is stemming from a greater problem, when we're all sitting around asking, 'Oh no, what are we going to do,' and we're not having a lot of faith that the White House is going to come out with a strong enough policy to sanction what it is that North Korea is going to do. So this speaks to a bigger picture that certainly scares me in terms of our national security policy. But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies – we're bound to by treaty....

Interviewer: South Korean.

Palin: Yes, and we're also bound by prudence to stand with our South Korean allies, yes.

"Bound by prudence! sounds like some horrible S&M sex game involving Gordon Brown.

Spoilsport! :lol:

Heilmann and Halperin write: "Palin couldn't explain why North Korea and South Korea were separate nations. She didn't know what the Federal Reserve did. Asked who attacked America on 9/11, she suggested several times it was Saddam Hussein. Asked to identify the enemy that her son would be fighting in Iraq and she drew a blank. Later, on the plane, Palin said to her team: "I wish I had paid more attention to this stuff."

http://www­.timesonli­ne.co.uk/t­ol/news/wo­rld/us_and­_americas/­article698­4739.ece

Interviewer: How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea?

Palin: Well, North Korea, this is stemming from a greater problem, when we're all sitting around asking, 'Oh no, what are we going to do,' and we're not having a lot of faith that the White House is going to come out with a strong enough policy to sanction what it is that North Korea is going to do. So this speaks to a bigger picture that certainly scares me in terms of our national security policy. But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies – we're bound to by treaty....

Interviewer: South Korean.

Palin: Yes, and we're also bound by prudence to stand with our South Korean allies, yes.

I've made howlers as bad or worse BUT

[a] I wasn't being interviewed on what I think is a nationally syndicated radio show in the run up to a possible presidential run

I knew when I'd said it that I'd dropped a clanger

[c] I was embarrassed

I got the impression from the audio tape I heard that Palin was almost saying "South Korean allies, whatever." She'd learned this stuff up and she'd got most of the questions right. This is "all the foreign policy you need to know in 60 minutes" - half remembered. A student who can't be bothered to read the books, and as far as she was concerned one little slip didn't make much difference.

Her only error in this last point was letting it show that she didn't really care. Remember that she was speaking to the ultra-friendly Glenn Beck; if her reputation is to be believed, then she's probably furious with him for correcting her on air. All she was saying that we should support our allies - whichever side they were. She probably thinks that she has voiced the opinion of many of her core supporters - she is probably correct.

Beck had asked her, "How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea?" That surprised me. That sounds like asking for a real game plan - more aid? get tough with aircraft carriers? put pressure on the Chinese (if we can)? back off and let the regional powers handle it? Her contribution was that people shouldn't be sitting around wondering what to do.

What she said she wanted was "a strong enough policy to sanction what it is that North Korea is going to do." Now this mixes up the verb "to sanction" which means to permit and "to apply sanctions" which is to restrict. That, or she meant that we needed a strong enough policy to support whatever South Korea is going to do (which actually makes sense, even if it's not very helpful). Otherwise her "handling" of the situation is "being tough enough to stop the North Koreans doing whatever it is they are going to do."

Sounds like something heard in the house of a friend, "Jenny, go and find out what your brother is doing and stop him."

This is not policy, it is not even a general guideline as to how she would "handle the situation.". It merely says that the US needs to be "strong", and stand by our allies.

If that's all she wanted to say, then why in heck allow Glen Beck to ask her how she would "handle the situation"? That question must have been cleared in advance, and she should have had something slightly more intelligent to say and then remembered to say it.

Or at least sounded a bit embarrassed ("Oops, silly me") when she got the allies she wants us to defend and the enemies she wants in her rifle sites the wrong way round.

db

I'm assuming sarcasm?

0: Wasilla's long-term debt when Palin took office in 1996

$18.6 million: the long-term debt Palin racked up by the time she left office in 2002, amounting to about $3,000 per resident

$223 million: the earmark secured for the infamous "Bridge to Nowhere" that Palin initially supported before opposing

$223 million: the amount of money designated for the "Bridge to Nowhere" that Palin ultimately used for other projects, rather than returning it to the federal government

$453 million: the total amount of earmarks Palin has asked U.S. taxpayers to fund for Alaska projects over two years as Governer, despite McCain's insistence that she hasn't sought earmarks or special-interest spending from Congress

$27 million: the total amount of federal earmarks Palin secured for Wasilla's town of 6,700 people while she was mayor, thanks to the help of a Washington lobbyist with ties to indicted Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) and convicted felon Jack Abramoff

As for the former stuff, securing funding from central government for her local government is a sign of success- she's doing her job well. The long term debt would be a good excuse to get that funding in the first place. She has managed to get $453 million in funding for her area which is really benefiting the people there.

Unless your point was she was syphoning off most of the money for herself?

There was a big smear campaign to get her out of office there and she eventually just quit from the stress of it all.

As for the latter stuff, yes I agree if that's true it seems she isn't very intelligent/ knowledgable in the international politics arena. But that does't mean she isn't intelligent in general, she may have just not been paying attention to it. I do agree it's pretty stupid of her to try running for president without learning some basic international politics, but I still believe her hearts in the right place.

There was a big smear campaign to get her out of office there and she eventually just quit from the stress of it all.

I think she would find being POTUS was still more stressful than a lot of people being mean about you. If she couldn't take the stress of "a big smear campaign" then she does not belong in the White House at any rank above intern.

db