House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Immigration Figures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11839356

Net migration to the UK rose in the year to March 2010 because fewer British people left the country, according to the latest estimates.

The figures indicate 215,000 more people came to live in the UK than moved to another country.

The Office for National Statistics figures come days after the government outlined its plans to cap immigration.

Ministers want to reduce net migration to "tens of thousands" a year by 2015.

The plan currently involves cutting the number of visas available to skilled workers from outside Europe - although ministerial advisers say the target cannot be met by just targeting workers.

According to the latest ONS data, an estimated 580,000 people arrived in the UK as long-term migrants in the year to March 2010, broadly consistent with the long-term trend. Approximately 15% of those arriving were British citizens who had been living abroad.

Over the same period, an estimated 364,000 people left the UK - continuing a downward trend since December 2008. Since the end of that year, the number of British people estimated to have left the UK has fallen by 28%, says the ONS.

The figures also indicate that while there was a slight fall in the number of work-related visas being issued, the number of students arriving from outside the European Economic Area (the EU and a handful of other countries) rose significantly.

In total, 355,000 student visas were issued in the year to September 2010, about 16% higher than in the previous 12 months.

Why are the Brits not leaving any more? I bet that will change as the next big group of oldies hit retirement (2012 IIRC). All that cheap property in the Costa del Geriatrica :D

I bet loads of the British students that will now go abroad to do their degree will find it better over there as well.....

Some have predicted property prices will rise to 9.3 times income due to immigration being a lot higher than housebuilding.

I'm sceptical, but people are prepared to live in a house shared by others, and even share rooms.

HiMO's are being encouraged by the Conservatives, as a way of reducing the demand for housing/ housing those in need.

Cram more into less and charge more for it.

3 families in a house each contributing to the mortgage could easily pay 10.5* income for example.

Financially it wouldn't make sense to the people on here, but we aren't the ones buying them. We should not underestimate the stupidity of the people and how easy they are to exploit. And how that could impact people wanting to buy houses.

I hate to be bullish, but its got to be said.

Some have predicted property prices will rise to 9.3 times income due to immigration being a lot higher than housebuilding.

I'm sceptical, but people are prepared to live in a house shared by others, and even share rooms.

HiMO's are being encouraged by the Conservatives, as a way of reducing the demand for housing/ housing those in need.

Cram more into less and charge more for it.

3 families in a house each contributing to the mortgage could easily pay 10.5* income for example.

Financially it wouldn't make sense to the people on here, but we aren't the ones buying them. We should not underestimate the stupidity of the people and how easy they are to exploit. And how that could impact people wanting to buy houses.

I hate to be bullish, but its got to be said.

The government claim to have the housebuilding covered what with their New Homes Bonus that will pay the equivalent of council tax for 6 years to local authorities that build new houses.

But wait this is from the consultation document on the New Homes Bonus:

The New Homes Bonus is set to be funded primarily by taking money out of the formula grant settlement. That is, money will be taken out of the formula grant allocation and redistributed based on the parameters of the bonus: the policy therefore – in the long run - is revenue neutral. This redistributive mechanism of the New Homes Bonus means that the scheme will create financial winners and losers: for any authority to gain financially (relative to their allocation before the bonus), one or more authorities must lose financially.

Ha Ha! There is no new money at all and we can expect housebuilding to remain low to non-existent. So three families to a house may yet come true.

Housing is poorly allocated in this country.

You have grannies in their 80s living by themselves in 4 bed semis while there are families of 5-6-7 with grown up children in their 20s-30s living in two-three bed houses.

There are supposedly 30m homes in the UK. That certainly seems plenty to go around but only if they are allocated efficiently and they would be if houses were not seen as free money ATMs.

I suspect you could in effect “build” the equivalent of 3 million homes if there was an incentive to use housing more efficiently. A good start would be to completely abolish any subsidy to council tax.

Housing is poorly allocated in this country.

You have grannies in their 80s living by themselves in 4 bed semis while there are families of 5-6-7 with grown up children in their 20s-30s living in two-three bed houses.

There are supposedly 30m homes in the UK. That certainly seems plenty to go around but only if they are allocated efficiently and they would be if houses were not seen as free money ATMs.

I suspect you could in effect “build” the equivalent of 3 million homes if there was an incentive to use housing more efficiently. A good start would be to completely abolish any subsidy to council tax.

All the time government privileges (land rents) are capitalised into tradable commodites housing will be used as an ATM.

Only thing that will stop this is LVT.

How many Irish I wonder ?

They used to be the biggest single source of immigrants to the UK

I'm not sure they even show up in the stats.. how do you keep a record of how many people jump on the ferry?

All the time government privileges (land rents) are capitalised into tradable commodites housing will be used as an ATM.

Only thing that will stop this is LVT.

It’s a game with a time limit though; you cannot have house price inflation above general wage inflation for ever it is impossible. The question then becomes what happens next?

Does the government try to keep this perpetual high?

Or does it allow a correction to take place?

It’s a game with a time limit though; you cannot have house price inflation above general wage inflation for ever it is impossible. The question then becomes what happens next?

Does the government try to keep this perpetual high?

Or does it allow a correction to take place?

They've changed the rules, whenever something bad happens the response is a bailout or a subsidy, i.e 0.5% IRs.

i don't see economics turning back to normal until the gov't is forced by the market or they run out of cash. Could take years tho, it's been going on for 2 decades in Japan.