House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Practical Buddhism For Beginners

I'm interested to find out more about Buddhism, particularly the self-discovery aspects.

If there was a good book entitled Practical Buddhism for Beginners, that feels like it would be the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a good book that might be along these lines?

Thanks in advance.

I'm interested to find out more about Buddhism, particularly the self-discovery aspects.

If there was a good book entitled Practical Buddhism for Beginners, that feels like it would be the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Wisdom Books. on the web for a selection of publications.

Maybe " Buddhism. Tools for living your life " by Vajragupta .This is under the western buddhist order section.

Maybe "Buddhism without beleifs" though I have not read it the author Stephen Bachelor is credible. Under western buddhism section.

" being nobody going nowhere " under theravanin or theravada section by Ayya Khema, that explains key concepts in an inspiring way and is the instructional content of a 10 day meditation retreat.

You need to learn to meditate to engage with this. Google tiratna buddhist order for local classes (or fwbo )

"Forest Sangha " teachers are the A team as far as im concerned, but they are not as accessible as ti ratna teachers. I strongly recommend you look at Insight meditation once you have got a basic concentration practice or maybe Zen if you find it inspiring.

Thanks in advance.

Just a couple of books I've picked up at charity shops that I have found very enlightening and interesting. What I am finding is people are looking for different ways to live their lives or looking more into the true meaning of life, what are the truly important things we should be focusing on. Which brings me to the happiness survey the government is now looking into....what makes us happy?

Essential Spirituality....Roger Walsh, M.D., PhD.

The Tibetan art of positive thinking....anything by Christopher Hansard.

There are many good books out there, read them digest them and pick out the bits that can and will help you understand the meaning of life and the wonderful nature that surrounds us that can bring so much joy if we only look for it.....nothing is right and nothing is wrong. ;)

Thanks in advance.

This is a great course, I went for a number of years to these classes, they run all over the country:

http://www.philosophycourse.com/

http://www.practicalphilosophy.co.uk/

You have to be careful which buddhist centre you go to.

There was a buddhist monk who came to the UK in the 1970s and some people claim that he, allegedly, has been using buddhism to make a lot of money from books, tours, lectures and various 'centres' up and down the UK. Some, I have heard, even consider his branch of buddhism a sect and even a cult.

I made the mistake of going to such a centre 2 or 3 times and loathed it as I was effectively talked to for hours with the 'monks' in question not pausing for breath for 1 or 2 hours straight. No option to interact, to talk, to learn, to ask. It felt very cult-like and only later did I learn of this apparnetly wide-spread sect from other buddhists.

There is quite a schism in buddhist circles about this which, to a newcomer, you will most likely be totally oblivious to unless you talk to a few buddhists. Gosh, this is turning into Life of Brian - "I know a messiah when I see one. I should know - I've followed a few!". Or something like that.

Somebody previously posted on the Vigyan Bhairav Tantra - I think it was the doctor whose name momentarily escapes me - you know, the funny one - it's come to me - Dissipatedyouthisvaluable.

http://www.meditationiseasy.com/mCorner/techniques/Vigyan_bhairav_tantra.htm

I got as far as about number 10, but enjoy simple meditative breathing. :)

I can remember a Buddhist chatting to me for ages, telling me about all the misconceptions about the holy man his religion was based on and I just sat there thinking 'I cant believe its not Buddha'.

I can remember a Buddhist chatting to me for ages, telling me about all the misconceptions about the holy man his religion was based on and I just sat there thinking 'I cant believe its not Buddha'.

:lol:

"A Guide to the I Ching" by Carol K. Anthony (third edition)

Can't recommend this enough; went through a bad period a couple of years ago and this helped pull me through. It's my go to book when things get complicated.

My copy is well-thumbed and I always know where it is!

Thanks for the replies. I quite fancy the look of that philosophy course actually. Might look into that.

I don't entirely know why, but I'm surprised that Durch didn't make any suggestions... :)

Thanks for the replies. I quite fancy the look of that philosophy course actually. Might look into that.

I don't entirely know why, but I'm surprised that Durch didn't make any suggestions... :)

He is too busy trying to find out what is the sound of one hand clapping

This is a subject I'm fairly familiar with although I would not describe myself as a Buddhist in any sense. Personally,I'm more often than not listening to something "spiritual" via audio books or downloads. Here's a good legitimate source :

http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/1/

There's other authors there too,I just like Gil Fronsdal's work in particular. You might also like to listen to Alan Watts who you can find for free on You Tube and download as mp3.

As for actual books I have no idea,I don't like them in truth. Audio books are great for listening to whilst drifting of to sleep and driving :o) As previously advised, be very aware of people trying to make money from you. Personally I prefer yoga to meditation but both are of course very similar. Oh and iso hunt and demonoid are also good sources for material. Good luck !