House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuckyOne

The System Worked To-Day .......

My lad went to NYC this afternoon for US Thanksgiving.

He lost his passport about 6 weeks ago. While he was checking in at T5, a man in a tweed jacket with a distinctly American accent asked him about his passport. My lad's story and documentation held up to scrutiny and he was delayed by less than three minutes at check-in.

At first, our reaction was one of indignation. Upon reflection, we are very happy that they made sure that he was travelling on his own passport rather than the lost / stolen one. We were impressed that the systems existed to flag him and check him out for a couple of minutes in a very unobtrusive manner, especially after hearing about the failure to contain people under Control Orders on Newsnight last night.

It does seem that varoius systems are finally "talking to each other". Perhaps this is the key to allowing normal people to travel through LHR with their dignity intact.

Perhaps this is the key to allowing normal people to travel through LHR with their dignity intact.

And the TSA hustle on the way back?

Going to the US for the first time in Jan, ESTAs obtained but still a little (make that a lot) twitchy about immigration.

Going to the US for the first time in Jan, ESTAs obtained but still a little (make that a lot) twitchy about immigration.

I fly to the US betwen 3 and 5 times a year.

My only advice with respect to US immigration is to pretend that you are really stupid without being too smug.

Answer the exact questions asked as accurately and deferentially and in as few simple words as possible and smile a lot.

Don't try to engage the immigration person in any form of banter or conversation unless specifically and unambiguously invited.

They are generally not smart enough to follow along and also, rationally, couldn't care less about the person that they see for 30 to 60 seconds before having to go on to the next person for 8 to 10 hours in a row.

On the whole our British Border staff are friendly, its definitely the TSA I'd worry about.

x3xaab2999363c237e1747dc2fea20d4cb1.jpg

Them there is the whole thing about the naked body scanners and "enhanced" pat downs if you refuse the naked body scanners.

On the whole our British Border staff are friendly, its definitely the TSA I'd worry about.

If they think you're a Brit they're fine. If they take you for a forriner, you see a different face of them.

My encounter with them came as I returned to UK after several years in Italy. I had an Italian car full of clobber, and it was the one and only time I drove that journey. I was heading initially for Brighton, so I took the ferry Dieppe-Newhaven. Getting off the ferry, they took me for an Italian and were definitely NOT friendly.

If they think you're a Brit they're fine. If they take you for a forriner, you see a different face of them.

My encounter with them came as I returned to UK after several years in Italy. I had an Italian car full of clobber, and it was the one and only time I drove that journey. I was heading initially for Brighton, so I took the ferry Dieppe-Newhaven. Getting off the ferry, they took me for an Italian and were definitely NOT friendly.

Sorry to hear that old man! I would rather not be taken for a bum-pinching dago, when I enter Blighty!

Last time I came thru Dover, laden down with fags and booze, I was lucky enough to be followed by a Hungarian registered Skoda,

full of mullahs with big beards! :blink:

Always fancied some of these for when I go through airport security