House Price Crash Forum
MEtallic

Protest Against The Banks

Well, the students have finally awoken from their slumber and realised their futures are being mortgaged away. How about the rest of us who's present AND future have been mortgaged?? :blink:

Maybe if we did, the banks would realise they need savers? Maybe the government would listen to us?

Edited by MEtallic

I'm fairly happy with what the coalition are doing so far. I don't see the point of protesting against cuts that this government had been forced into by the mistakes of the last.

I won't be withdrawing my money simply because of the logistics and inconvienience. At least the banks are lending sensibly again.

I will not be withdrawing my funds, unless I see significant support for this and can see a banking collapse. There's little point, it'll only work if a large proportion of society do it and then what? Everyone who doesn't is left with nothing?

Worst case scenario, my folks own their own place, have enough wood to burn for years and a veg patch large enough to feed a few families. I can steal from farms and the hedgerow, snare rabbits, eat the old etc. They also have guns to defend themselves. That's my worst case scenario.

But i'll give everyone on this site a free cabbage if that ends up happening.

Better just to torch the banks and have done with it, but we are not at this stage yet.

I suspect if they carry on printing we will eventually get there.

At that point a can of beans will be negotiated with a iron bar and some very harsh language.

Fingers crossed Armageddon doesn't arrive, but I have my iron bar polished up just in case ;)

We take our money out. A bank wobbles and the government step in to support it with tax payers money.

Sounds a pathetic plan, unless you are drawing dole. In which case you wont have any savings.

Edited by bumpy

Head they win, tails we lose...

The aim of all this seems to be to punish the bankers.

I am all for that, but this proposal is just plain daft. Hand me the gun, whilst I shoot myself in the foot.

Well, the students have finally awoken from their slumber and realised their futures are being mortgaged away. How about the rest of us who's present AND future have been mortgaged?? :blink:

Maybe if we did, the banks would realise they need savers? Maybe the government would listen to us?

If everyone is taking their money out on December the 7th, I will be taking mine out on December 6th.

December the 7th is Pearl Harbour day. Is that why this day was chosen?

Bonsai Bonsai!!

Sounds a pathetic plan, unless you are drawing dole..

Interesting comments in response to this poll. I presume most people are attracted to HPC because they believe house prices are too high and are fed up with a culture that values bricks and mortar above meaningful work and enterprise...

This culture has been brought about by lax monetary policy and a financial system that prefers lending to support house prices rather than lending to support manufacturers and others who can create real & sustainable wealth for this country...

Yet when given the option to do something about it, by demonstrating that our cash ought to have value by limiting it's supply for a few days, the majority response seems to be "can't be bothered". :huh:

Oh well, I suppose with this attitude, the majority deserve to be taken for a ride by the banks. Just don't complain when your retirement fund (either cash or bricks) can't buy you a tin of beans....

This is a flawed poll. The votes should be anonymous given the sensitivity of the information. The results can not now be relied upon.

Interesting comments in response to this poll. I presume most people are attracted to HPC because they believe house prices are too high and are fed up with a culture that values bricks and mortar above meaningful work and enterprise...

This culture has been brought about by lax monetary policy and a financial system that prefers lending to support house prices rather than lending to support manufacturers and others who can create real & sustainable wealth for this country...

Yet when given the option to do something about it, by demonstrating that our cash ought to have value by limiting it's supply for a few days, the majority response seems to be "can't be bothered". :huh:

Oh well, I suppose with this attitude, the majority deserve to be taken for a ride by the banks. Just don't complain when your retirement fund (either cash or bricks) can't buy you a tin of beans....

Its not that I cant be bothered, just that its plain stupid.

Here is a comparable protest that should suit all those that have said they are in favour.

Food prices are going up all the time. Its about time we let the producers know what we think.

So let's give up eating for the whole of December. That should teach em.

Edited by bumpy

If everyone is taking their money out on December the 7th, I will be taking mine out on December 6th.

December the 7th is Pearl Harbour day. Is that why this day was chosen?

Bonsai Bonsai!!

What have trees got to do with it?

Maybe Tora tora tora is better?

Not to be confused with Atora, atora atora which is a suet thing used for making puddings I think.

It's not a stupid protest at all. It's causing more worry than a million people marching down Whitehall will ever do. Rumours about a run on Northern Rock caused absolute panic. Loads of people with stacks in the bank were queuing round the block when it dawned on them everyone else was pulling out their cash.

I wonder how people will feel if they suspect a lot of other people are going to withdraw their money ?

Here's an idea, don't withdraw your money, then on the 8th when the shit hits the fan, be caught up in the melee of all the wise-people who'll be elbowing aside children and pensioners to get to the front of the queue to withdraw their wedge.

You may not be withdrawing your cash, but what if millions do ?

It's not a stupid protest at all. It's causing more worry than a million people marching down Whitehall will ever do. Rumours about a run on Northern Rock caused absolute panic. Loads of people with stacks in the bank were queuing round the block when it dawned on them everyone else was pulling out their cash.

I wonder how people will feel if they suspect a lot of other people are going to withdraw their money ?

Here's an idea, don't withdraw your money, then on the 8th when the shit hits the fan, be caught up in the melee of all the wise-people who'll be elbowing aside children and pensioners to get to the front of the queue to withdraw their wedge.

You may not be withdrawing your cash, but what if millions do ?

The only people drawing out money will be either those with a vested interest in destabilising the economy such as Gold rampers, students, or anarchists. The rest will be sheeple that don't have the intelligence to see the harm it can do and can easily be conned into jumping on a bandwagon.

I will be taking part, just not all of the cash I have squirrelled away. Unfortunately the vast majority of my savings is in an ISA paying a decent rate (well, in today's climate 3% is decent) ... I will, however, be emptying my current account which will contain what is left from my wages. I think we all should do something, even if it is only a token gesture to ensure that those in power realise that us prudent savers are rightly p*55ed off about subsidising the lifestyles of the overborrowed. Interest rates should never be lower than the inflation rate, and savings should never be sacrificed to help the mindless and financially dumb in this country.

Here's another idea. Why dont you all put up a big plackard for muggers as you walk away from the bank with loaded pockets.

Christmas will come early for the muggers and house robbers.

Interest rates should never be lower than the inflation rate, and savings should never be sacrificed to help the mindless and financially dumb in this country.

Interest rates should never be lower than the inflation rate - you're either very young, or very naive

and savings should never be sacrificed to help the mindless and financially dumb in this country - There will be a fair number of them taking out their money.

Edited by bumpy

The only people drawing out money will be either those with a vested interest in destabilising the economy such as Gold rampers, students, or anarchists. The rest will be sheeple that don't have the intelligence to see the harm it can do and can easily be conned into jumping on a bandwagon.

Perhaps. I would argue that the people who have a vested interest in destabilising the economy beyond it's ability to be fixed are not Gold rampers, students or anarchists. They are the same people who will be paying themselves eye-watering bonuses whilst telling ordinary people to swallow down austerity.

If protest marches, sit-ins or letters to one's MP achieved anything, perhaps such direct action would not be necessary, but it seems to me the only way to send a powerful message to the vested interests is to hit them where it hurts, namely in their pockets.

As an aside, it seems to have worried people more than any of the previous protests have achieved and that to me suggests it's already working, hence worth doing.

Perhaps. I would argue that the people who have a vested interest in destabilising the economy beyond it's ability to be fixed are not Gold rampers, students or anarchists. They are the same people who will be paying themselves eye-watering bonuses whilst telling ordinary people to swallow down austerity.

If protest marches, sit-ins or letters to one's MP achieved anything, perhaps such direct action would not be necessary, but it seems to me the only way to send a powerful message to the vested interests is to hit them where it hurts, namely in their pockets.

As an aside, it seems to have worried people more than any of the previous protests have achieved and that to me suggests it's already working, hence worth doing.

So who exactly do you think is shaking in their shoes. Please give evidence not anecdotes.

Edited by bumpy

The people it is worrying are the sensible savers that have money in those institution. The bankers or government wont give two figs.

The people it is worrying are the sensible savers that have money in those institution. The bankers or government wont give two figs.

Your 2 posts on the subject in rapid succession either suggest you are 'quaking in your boots', or that you're posting nonsense to get a rise out of other people's legitimate right to protest.

From your comments on the subject, you have accused people of being Gold-rampers, students and anarchists with vested interests. I would suggest to you (again) that this is more worrying for bankers than any protest march will ever achieve. You seem obsessed with poo-pooing any suggestion that people have that right as it is a waste of time and no-one will listen. My suggestion (again) is that this Direct Action is more effective than previous actions.

I'll take part in the withdrawal protest, although, like many, I've reduced what I keep in my bank account to the minimum and keep my savings in a mutual building society.

I'm partly living off savings at the moment. When things start to look up I'm going to open an account with another of the few remaining mutuals and BigBank PLC will only handle my monthly housekeeping.