House Price Crash Forum

Ireland Introduce 'property Tax' Of 200 Euro / Year

Kyoto

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Mods, feel free to merge later, though though this may be worth discussing seperately as it's housing related.

Is this council tax or it is it closer to the 'land tax' discussed on here?

Very interesting.

FT: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3595acd4-f7cb-11df-b770-00144feab49a.html#axzz16D80vvD2

Ireland will cut welfare expenditure, slash the minimum wage, raise income tax and introduce a levy on land and property owners (...)

The government plans to introduce a water charge by 2014 and, in a measure that will change how local government is financed, a “site value tax” on land and property owners. This will be phased in from 2012 and ultimately raise €530m a year.

That is a very low rate. I guestimate, on average, around 0.1% of each property value.

( Their population is around 4 million, suppose they had a million residential dwellings, another million commercial/business dwellings, worth on average E200k each = tot E400 billion? Raising around E500 million? )

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Exactly. For the first time in three or four years I'm 100% happy renting considering the uncertainty and need to remain flexible in this environment,

That's it. Adaptability and flexibility in mind, heart, money and mind, and perhaps even relationships are really important these days. No one really knows where to jump, and tying yourself down is just about the worst thing to do. Of course, people will say that such a tax will be unthinkable in this country, but hey, I'm sure the Irish would've said the same a couple of years ago.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I want to see this here. But it needs to be on empty property.

And it needs to be much much higher.

Tax the greed not the necessary.

Actually empty property certainly in my area (Telford and Wrekin) is charged the full council tax after 6 months unless the occupier is in a hospital/care home etc.

I've noticed one or two on here seem to think there is no tax on an empty house.

HOLA4417

Actually empty property certainly in my area (Telford and Wrekin) is charged the full council tax after 6 months unless the occupier is in a hospital/care home etc.

I've noticed one or two on here seem to think there is no tax on an empty house.

That is a start. But too little too late. Should be proportional to each property value, same rate, and no caps, and no exceptions, and paid all the time, and by the owners.

HOLA4418

Double it then?

What about town centre retail?

Decimated.

Tax empty shops back in to use.

Rents will tumble, areas will regenerate without a ******ing "generous gesture" from the newly built supermarket. Who jsut happen to have built a "new unit" on the towns cricket pitch. :angry:

HOLA4419

Same in Birmingham, you only get 1 year if the house is under going mayor repair, they state a new kitchen, bathroom, decorating etc are not mayor work. Also if the the 6 months have been used by the previous owner then your out of luck.

HOLA4420

Is it a 'poll tax' for homeowners or does it vary?

There used to be no local residential taxation in Ireland (councils are funded directly from the government and fees from things like planning applications).

Ireland introducted a second homes tax ("non-primary residence tax") in October 2009 that was €200 per property so it was easy to collect i.e. no need to value the home and the home owner was expected to send a cheque in to the county council offices voluntarily (or get fined heavily when they were found out later).

The new measure (april 2012 onwards) looks like a fixed €100 per property OR plot with planning permission / zoned land (another 700k properties if the plots are included out of population of ~4M) to begin with. In 2013 when they hope to have valuation done it will move to a value based tax min €100 with the national average being €200. The name at the moment appears to be "Site Value Tax"

HOLA4421

That's it. Adaptability and flexibility in mind, heart, money and mind, and perhaps even relationships are really important these days. No one really knows where to jump, and tying yourself down is just about the worst thing to do. Of course, people will say that such a tax will be unthinkable in this country, but hey, I'm sure the Irish would've said the same a couple of years ago.

Irish voters got uppity ten years ago when water charges were proposed.

HOLA4422

You do not have to pay your council tax if you are in prison,unless you are in prison for none payment of council tax then you are still liable ,you could not make it up :)

HOLA4423