House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Protest Turning Nasty In Trafalgar Sq

Maybe they should have protested during the overspending years it's a bit late now.

This is like abusing fireman for getting your house wet when your house is on fire!

Maybe they should have protested during the overspending years it's a bit late now.

This is like abusing fireman for getting your house wet when your house is on fire!

Err - what, when they were at primary school or something?

Anyway, bring it on. I honestly believe this wouldn't be happening if people could see that the pain was being shared fairly. It ain't.

Yeah, apparently not just students there either - just angry people - a few office workers who have taken time off, teens who have walked out of school, etc.

I reckon if the general situation keeps on deteriorating then next year could have a 'molotov summer' - civil unrest is usually at its worst when it's nice and warm enough to hang about on the streets. Not when it's freezing like now!

I liked Clegg's comment that students should read the government proposals first and "look and listen before you march and shout". As if there might be some devil in the detail that made it okay for the government to give every student £30-60k of undefaultable debt as a graduation present.

I reckon most of the students are just after a story to tell the grandkids, I bet less than 1% actually belong to a political party.

No political party represents the interests of people born after 1980.

Looks like it's kicking off or perhaps it's just a few unruly elements? Polis being pelted. van surrounded and smashed up.

please do not beat our policemen ... we, the tax payers, actually pay them to do this job ...

No political party represents the interests of people born after 1980.

All political parties represent the interests of politicians.

Bring on direct democracy.

I liked Clegg's comment that students should read the government proposals first and "look and listen before you march and shout". As if there might be some devil in the detail that made it okay for the government to give every student £30-60k of undefaultable debt as a graduation present.

Most of these students will have to raid the BoMaD.

Lots of the BoMaD cash would have come from HPI.

At least the BoMaD wont have any more surplus cash to throw in to the HPI pot as Boulger would have them do.

See from twitter that there's fighting-scuffling in the centre of Bristol with police horses going wild.

Ah, Twitter.

Personally, I find the Daily Sport a more trustworthy source of news, but each to their own ;)

All political parties represent the interests of politicians.

Bring on direct democracy.

Democracy is doing a terrible job of sorting this one out, and I doubt direct democracy would do any better. The costs are being put onto a small group of voters: the young, including those not yet old enough to vote. This is what happens when debts can be run up by one age group which have to be repaid by another who had no say in the matter. National debts create an intergenerational moral hazard.

Maybe they have already looked and listened.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8084779/Penalty-for-graduates-who-pay-off-student-loans-early.html

Penalty for graduates who pay off student loans early

Graduates who wish to avoid being burdened with decades of debt could be hit with mortgage-style redemption penalties if they pay off their student loan early.

But Vince Cable, the Business Secretary, confirmed that ministers were examining ways to make the new system more "progressive".

There's that catchall "progressive" word again when they're all going backwards.

Liberal Democrat Mr Clegg, who told The Andrew Marr Show: "I am uneasy about the idea that you, in theory, have unlimited fees. So we are looking at something which would be more restrained."

Right to feel uneasy about that proposal when he had pledged in writing not to increase student fees at all.

And apparently

Nick Clegg was secretly plotting to ditch his pledge to axe tuition fees two months before the election, it was revealed last night.

In a grave embarrassment for the Deputy Prime Minister, secret papers have revealed that the Liberal Democrats drew up plans to abandon the pledge even as they were publicly promising university students they would oppose fees.

On March 16, a secret Lib Dem team set up to prepare for a possible coalition government decided to ditch the policy.

But a month later, Mr Clegg publicly denounced the ‘dead weight of debt’ facing students and publicly signed a pledge to oppose any increase in tuition fees. Every one of his party colleagues also signed the pledge.

Maybe politicians should "look and listen" before they keep on reneging on their pledges.

(pledge. 1. To make a solemn binding promise; swear)

Edited by billybong