House Price Crash Forum

Seen It All Before...

Father Fred

HOLA441

I have got to quote Estates Gazette (Property weekly, concentrates on commercial), published early this month.

"... [the average builder] is making huge mistakes which will be ruinous to him by and by. Round many of our beautiful suburban parks, rings of 6 and 7 storey 'flats' are being erected, and young couples flock into them. But these tall buildings, with their exhausting stairs and tiny rooms, are useless for family occupation and are merely a passing craze."

And what section of the Estates Gazette was this printed in?

The "100 years ago this week" section. It was originally printed in September 1905!

HOLA442
I have got to quote Estates Gazette (Property weekly, concentrates on commercial), published early this month.

"... [the average builder] is making huge mistakes which will be ruinous to him by and by.  Round many of our beautiful suburban parks, rings of 6 and 7 storey 'flats' are being erected, and young couples flock into them.  But these tall buildings, with their exhausting stairs and tiny rooms, are useless for family occupation and are merely a passing craze."

The "100 years ago this week" section.  It was originally printed in September 1905!

That sounds spookily familiar! :blink:

HOLA443

We never learn <_<

I think some of the best/strongest communities in recent history centred around the old back to back terrace housing. Of course society no longer wants this..we want detached properties but with it we get detached communities.

HOLA444

I'm not saying all these 2 bed new builds are good (they're not), and they might have suffered worst in downturns before (I don't know), but is does go to show that it's all to easy to sit there and say - "it's a trend, they're rubbish" - if they are it's a trend that has lasted 100 years!

People will always want small units near transport/ parks/ city centres. It is all about the price you pay for them rather than whether they are 'good' or 'bad'.

HOLA445

"... [the average builder] is making huge mistakes which will be ruinous to him by and by.  Round many of our beautiful suburban parks, rings of 6 and 7 storey 'flats' are being erected, and young couples flock into them.  But these tall buildings, with their exhausting stairs and tiny rooms, are useless for family occupation and are merely a passing craze."

The "100 years ago this week" section.  It was originally printed in September 1905!

This was probably referring to rental property - not owner occupation or the type of BTL we have now.

HOLA446