House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OZZIE

Tenancy Period

Hi all, our 12 month tenancy has finsihed.

The letting agents are asking us to sign for another 6 months and, of course, pay a £100 fee for the privelage.

Can we remain on a month to month basis or do we have no choice but sign?

Any comments?

Hi all, our 12 month tenancy has finsihed.

The letting agents are asking us to sign for another 6 months and, of course, pay a £100 fee for the privelage.

Can we remain on a month to month basis or do we have no choice but sign?

Any comments?

I have been in exactly the same position (still am). Now that your tenancy has ended, and you have not agreed new terms, the tenancy becomes a statutory periodic shorthold tenancy, which basically means that if they want to kick you out, they have to give two months notice. The terms of this 'new tenancy' are essentially the same a s the old one, as by staying in the flat you passively agree to them, however you dont have to pay any charges until you agree/sign a new fixed term.

In my case I stated that I wouldnt be paying any charges (by letter) and that this was final. From my own, and other people's experience the EA will generally go along with it to avoid hassle/conflict. The worst that can happen is that they will serve notice on you---in which case you either have two months to find a new place or agree to a new contract (and fee's). Its also possible to stall them for at least a month or two whislt you do this.

Hope this is of some help :D